Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Needle Turn Applique Quilts >

Needle Turn Applique Quilts

Needle Turn Applique Quilts

Old 10-26-2012, 11:45 AM

I still do needle turn applique. I love all handwork and NTA is one of my favourites.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:17 PM

I still do all my applique by needle-turn method. I can take it with me whenever I need to. Unfortunately for me, I havenever been able to get my machine applique to look as good as I want it to. Maybe because I have a love-hate relationship with my sewing machine. I also hand piece my quilts, but take them to a LA-er
Old 10-26-2012, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Hen3rietta View Post
I love the result of needle turn applique, but I'm am so slow at it. There is a border I want to do on a special quilt and I don't want to do machine applique and I keep putting it off because of the time I know it will take me to finish it.

I think in general, most people either don't have or don't want to spend the time it takes to do it the old fashioned way. Corners and indentations are much harder to do neatly and at least for me, everything can feel fumbly at first when I'm trying to keep the applique piece stead while I stitch. If it were a wall hanging, I'd machine applique too.
I, too, have been fumbling. But it seems that the more I do, the better (well, a little) each piece looks. I don't think the process of turning under of the fabric edge using the needle is that easy. Somewhere on here someone recommended a milliner's needle. I'll need to get one that is finer. But the length does work better. If I can get this quilt done I don't know if I'll choose this method again, but it is a true learning experience.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:21 AM

I love to do hand applique. There are at least 4 quilts in various stages going right now. I need something to work on while watching tv.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:29 AM

I still do it when I have the time, just been way too busy lately to even quilt. Now its time to make my nephews christening quilt and I dont have enough time for needle turn.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:50 AM

I love hand applique. I use the freezer paper method and as some folks have pointed out its great when you need a project to fill in time while waiting for things. And great in front of TV! My only issue is that I have yet to find a thimble I can live with so I dont poke a hole in my finger. I keep looking but no luck. Dots came close but even those are bulky and fall off. GRRRRR
Old 10-27-2012, 03:57 AM

Although it's time-consuming, I think it looks so much nicer than machine applique (which I do on baby quilts), satin-stitch applique or fused applique. But then again, I hand-sew my bindings too.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:18 AM

I'm still doing it and have been for 25 years. It's the only kind of applique I can do successfully. I have no luck with all the iron on stabilizers and machine stitches for applique.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:37 AM

I don't do needle-turn, but I do hand applique on my quilts. I cut about an extra 1/4" around the template, I have a pencil holder that holds two pencils 1/4-inc apart. Then I either baste and pull the fabric over the template and iron, or I just iron the extra over the template. I love doing hand-work. I am not that comfortable with machine applique because I have trouble figuring out how to do the corners and bends and what not. I am not good at picturing things in my head like that, never was. So I do it by hand and don't care how long it takes me.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:36 AM

I love hand applique! I do it all the time. I also do a lot of hand embroidery. I always wonder why so many quilters hate the A word. It is a great on the go project. Luann in CT