Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Love, comfort we give to others, do we know how much? >

Love, comfort we give to others, do we know how much?

Love, comfort we give to others, do we know how much?

Old 12-02-2012, 12:18 PM

Cricket; You are doing God's work, IMHO, with your quilts. It matters to the recipients. I am sorry your partner was unable to help out. If I lived closer, I would certainly help you out.
Chris
Old 12-02-2012, 12:38 PM

you're heart is certainly in the right place.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:38 PM

My son travels for work and the first thing he unpacks his birthday quilt. It had a wildlife theme, so it reminds him of home. My daughters have been equally appreciate. # 3 daughter had surgery and needed to stay quiet for 6 weeks. Every time, except one, I visited her, she was wrapped in her quilt. That time she was in a fleece blanket I had made her and the quilt was on her visiting daughter. My GD was in the Marines and had become unaccustomed to our climate. She was in luck. I had stopped in to deliver her wedding quilt - her response - "How wonderful! Now we'll have some color in our rented apt." The list goes on, but so far, my quilts have been appreciated. My label says that a quilt is a blanket of love.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by spokanequilter View Post
It is said that in giving, we receive. I get so much joy from making quilts, and that joy is quadrupled when I see the comfort and happiness my quilts give to those who receive them. We were just visiting our daughter and son-in-law for a week at Thanksgiving. I loved seeing my almost 30-year old daughter wrap herself up in one of the quilts I have given her. And then she said "Mom, when I really miss you, I just wrap one of your quilts around me and I feel like you are here." Joy, joy, joy!!
That is really sweet--about your daughter! And I agree with the rest of your comments...how we get more joy by giving than by receiving. A
Old 12-02-2012, 03:03 PM

Over the summer, I gifted my great-aunt with a quilt. She was touched , thrilled and speechless. She is also a quilter and has given away many in her lifetime but had never received one as a gift. It truly was a labor of love and I was thrilled that my gift meant so much to her. My aunt says she sleeps with it every night and her cat loves it too. I was overwhelmed and honored by her responses to my gift.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:50 PM

cricket, you need to give yourself permission to slow down and enjoy some free time. If only quilting gives you pleasure, then make yourself a quilt. If you feel a need to give to shelters and homes, then give fewer quilts or alternate shelters every other year. Obviously, only give where there is some appreciation shown - if not by the recipients, then by the staff. Should you switch recipients? I think 20 quilts for the drug recovery young ladies would be enough for one year. That's less than one every other week. You'd be doing something special for 20 deserving young ladies and you might have some time for yourself.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:28 PM

God bless you (all of you) that bring such joy to others with your quilts. HUGS
Old 12-02-2012, 08:32 PM

Dear Cricket, I'm so sorry that you've been treated that way. It is disheartening when you put so much love & effort into something & don't feel appreciated. Our guild made quilts & I was fortunate enough to deliver them to the Helen Graham cancer center. They were given to newly diagnosed patients. Since I was given treatment there last year, I knew how hard it was for some of those poor people. Some came alone for chemo on a city bus which added hrs to their day. They sometimes were wrapped in an old, thread bare blanket or torn afghan. Chemo makes you colder than you've ever felt. Perhaps if you checked with your local hospital or cancer center they would like to receive your quilts. Believe me, those patients would LOVE them. God bless you for being such a good soul. Take more time for yourself. You will appreciate that. Take care.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:49 PM

All of you are giving out of love, from the heart. Sometimes we don't always know when a quilt we make and give away ends up. Sometimes they are recycled, re-gifted, etc. and an unintended person receives it and it may be the best thing they ever had. Cricket, sounds like over-worked and exhausted from all you are doing. Your gifts of love for others may have become gifts of burdens to you.
Please step back and re-evaluate that a few gifts may be more important than a large quantity.

Jesus said, "When you enter a home or town and you are not received, shake the dust off your feet and go on."
Old 12-03-2012, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by spokanequilter View Post
It is said that in giving, we receive. I get so much joy from making quilts, and that joy is quadrupled when I see the comfort and happiness my quilts give to those who receive them. We were just visiting our daughter and son-in-law for a week at Thanksgiving. I loved seeing my almost 30-year old daughter wrap herself up in one of the quilts I have given her. And then she said "Mom, when I really miss you, I just wrap one of your quilts around me and I feel like you are here." Joy, joy, joy!!
Your post brought tears to my eyes. You are so blessed! Thanks for sharing.