Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A machine for my wife >

A machine for my wife

A machine for my wife

Old 12-16-2012, 03:23 PM

I sew quite a bit and I have three machines. I prefer the one that has a scissor button over them all....just because I like that feature. I got my machine used(it was my mom's, I paid what she was going to get for trade in which was around $500). I have two computerized machines and a featherweight. The featherweight just sits on a shelf most of the time. I should be using it. They are work horses and as long as you remember to oil it, I haven't heard of people having issues at all with them. They do sew wonderfully. If I were you, I would take her somewhere where she would be able to make some decisions on what she were to really want out of a machine. All of us here have different opinions and price options. It's not going to be accurate for us to help you make a decision for your wife without knowing her or what she is going to be making.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:09 PM
Power Poster

If it were for me I would want a new machine. I prefer the straight stitch only machine. I know others also want machines with fancy stitches.
The best way would probably give her money, a gift card and let her pick out her own.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by KnittingPlatypus View Post
Update 2: So the budget is set, I have talked to her mother and a few other and we are going to get her a family gift. This way we can give her enough to get a machine, a hand full of other basics, and maybe have enough left over to take a class or two depending on the cost. I have had so much great feedback from all of you. I have to say I was a touch nervous posting on the board with zero knowledge of machines or quilting but you have all dispelled that and I can't wait to keep you posted on the gift goes over and the machine she ends up buying!

Like I mentioned in a previous post, I've been looking at the Baby Lock (Molly and Grace models) and Viking (100q and Emerald) as they are in the price range that I have set and are the brands my local shop (Erika's in South Bend) carry. So if any of you have hands on experience with these I humbly ask for any feedback. So between my wife's preference, you and the local's shop feed back, my wife will surely get the perfect machine to start her adventures in sewing.
I don't have any of the machines you are looking at. Just wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas. I love what you are doing for your wife. So sweet!!!
Old 12-16-2012, 05:59 PM

My husband bought me a Janome for my birthday one year, neither of us knew much about brands or sewing, it was my first machine. He just went in and bought the most expensive one in the shop, thnking it would be the best one! I have to say that he did well on the brand, I would recommend a Janome to anyone, but it's an embroidery machine so there are a lot of features I don't use. It's computerised and is so beginner friendly, you just push a button and it adjusts everything for you and tells you what foot you need to put on for the stitch you want. It has an automatic needle threader (a must for me as I just can't focus on that tiny eye!) I say buy the best Janome you can afford. Mine is about 10 years old now and still going strong.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:15 PM

I suggest going with her to a sewing shop. Find out what she wants to be able to do with her machine and ask for suggestions as to which machine would best fit her wants/needs. Be prepared to spend a couple of hours there.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:52 AM

Since you live where the amish live you might get some in put from them. Im from Indiana and used to go to Goshen and the quilts are beautiful. I know they hand sew or use trundle machines,but they have a lot of knowledge in sewing so being a novice they might help with issues other than sewing machines.I have a featherweight and I love it but you are limited to what you can do. I also own a Baby lock and love it.I looked on line for featherweights and found tons of people who sell them and have spare parts.I got mine for 200.There is a man from oregon or washington who travels to teach and sell featherweights.I met him and his wife.Very honest and have been in business many years dealing in just featherweights.Good Luck, Merry Christmas,God Bless Dawn
Old 12-17-2012, 03:52 AM

Absolutely.....she will be much happier with the machine if she has some input. Even though she is a novice it will be nice for her to have a few of the newer options. Have a very Merry Christmas! Let us know what she ends up getting.

Lucy
Old 12-17-2012, 06:55 AM

Would you want your wife to buy you a car without her knowing exactly what you want? Cut out a picture of a sewing machine, put it in a big box and wrap it up in fancy paper. Then take her to a store and buy her what she wants. I had a Featherweight and sold it as I didn't like it.
SandyQuilter
Old 12-17-2012, 06:56 AM

My posts are being attached to another quilter. I am not sandyquilts. Will contact the admin.
SandyQuilter
Old 12-17-2012, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
How many people really travel with a sewing machine??? Mine sets in a cabinet waiting and ready at a moments notice.
I do! When I go to Texas to visit my son, when I go to WA for a conference, when I drive some place for a vacation, I take my Janome 760 on the plane or in the car with me. Like my VISA - don't leave home without it!