Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sandy Hook Elementary School - 700 blankets needed right away - FILLED already >

Sandy Hook Elementary School - 700 blankets needed right away - FILLED already

Sandy Hook Elementary School - 700 blankets needed right away - FILLED already

Old 12-19-2012, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by LAQUITA View Post
A note from 'the other side' of the blanket....so to speak.
We have spents weeks/months in Ronald McDonald houses all across the US due to our DD multiple health issues, she still has the blankets, dolls, bears...that was so graciously donated by volunteers for the children that stayed at the various RMDH. She is now 23 & still has these various items that are near and dear to her heart. When she is feeling discouraged or needs a little encouragment she grabs one of these items, It gladdened my heart & hers that someone thought enough to care to make these items for kids they did not even know. It brought a smile to my heart to see her able to pick out one she wanted and it also brought a smile to her face to be able to feel so special as to be able to pick something out that someone made for'her'. Even though the time we spent away from family, out of state and in the RMDH's was not a good time in our life, it did come with these sweet memories of what she got from where, simply b/c someone cared enough to make .....for the children that stayed in these homes. IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE in both the life of the child and their parents.
I was with my granddaughter when she was at the Ronald McDonald's House (traveling from Texas to Philly) while she received Chemotherapy for cancer when she was 4 months old. She was the youngest ever treated for her cancer; she was born with it and of course it was iffy if she would live. Her parents received a baby quilt each time she went for treatment. They didn't feel free to refuse them and only the prettiest one was kept. In her case there was no comfort from the quilt but gratitude that it was given. Her mother packed it away and kept it for her to have when she had her own baby. It must be accepted that not everyone gets comfort from a quilt; but gets comfort from caring people. I think that is why many are asking why the quilts were sent to this town. For many people, a quilt would be just another blanket for the bed. It isn't fair to criticize those asking why as not caring. Perhaps they are wondering why something is being offered that would not bring them comfort personally. I can only remember how the quilts were offered to my family in such a way that we didn't feel free to refuse and after one, we didn't want any more. Not everyone is comforted in the same way or grieves in the same way. I think we are only trying to understand each other here.

Last edited by TanyaL; 12-19-2012 at 06:19 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:42 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

wow, this subject has certainly sparked a debate. I can see both sides of the issue and agree with many; money is not an issue for this town, they have blankets, food and roofs over their heads and all the creature comforts denied to someone affected by natural didasters that we have seen lately.

That being said; someone else mentioned that having a quilt given to them due to the fact that a loved one was murdered-is that going to be a very painful reminder of the murder each time they look at said quilt? Perhaps it will. for years. But, I think that in time the shock and anger and searing pain will find a place in their lives that is able to accept the quilts as the loving hug it was intended to be. And for those who would see their quilts be put to use by those affected by storms and who have no electricricity, water or roof over their head-by all means-send those folks quilted hugs, bottled water and warm socks and canned goods. There is always a need. Sometimes it is Mother Nature's wrath and sometimes it is evil in human form. Pick your own charity. Let your own sense of community and financial capabilities guide your efforts. No, they may not need a quilt in Connecticut, but they will donate it to someone who does perhaps when the media leaves. So, pay it forward in whatever form and amount you are comfortable with. I can't afford to give a single store bought present this year, not even to my grand babies; but we will have cookies. There is food on the table, love abound and I know that a few of those wealthy families would trade their wealth for my poverty this very minute to hug their sweet child this Christmas morning. So, do what is right in your heart and don't try too hard to second guess what your neighbor is doing. give freely from your heart and continue to teach your children to do the same. I love the discussions we have on this board! (and I agree about the RED CROSS)
Old 12-19-2012, 06:54 AM

A Linus blanket for a child in Newtown or victim of Sandy isn't an either/or thing. BOTH have been traumitized and deserve out prayers and quilts. The nit-picking by QBoard members is very inappropriate. The children of Newtown are not wealthy - they are traumitized.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by cherrio View Post
wow, this subject has certainly sparked a debate. I can see both sides of the issue and agree with many; money is not an issue for this town, they have blankets, food and roofs over their heads and all the creature comforts denied to someone affected by natural didasters that we have seen lately.

That being said; someone else mentioned that having a quilt given to them due to the fact that a loved one was murdered-is that going to be a very painful reminder of the murder each time they look at said quilt? Perhaps it will. for years. But, I think that in time the shock and anger and searing pain will find a place in their lives that is able to accept the quilts as the loving hug it was intended to be. And for those who would see their quilts be put to use by those affected by storms and who have no electricricity, water or roof over their head-by all means-send those folks quilted hugs, bottled water and warm socks and canned goods. There is always a need. Sometimes it is Mother Nature's wrath and sometimes it is evil in human form. Pick your own charity. Let your own sense of community and financial capabilities guide your efforts. No, they may not need a quilt in Connecticut, but they will donate it to someone who does perhaps when the media leaves. So, pay it forward in whatever form and amount you are comfortable with. I can't afford to give a single store bought present this year, not even to my grand babies; but we will have cookies. There is food on the table, love abound and I know that a few of those wealthy families would trade their wealth for my poverty this very minute to hug their sweet child this Christmas morning. So, do what is right in your heart and don't try too hard to second guess what your neighbor is doing. give freely from your heart and continue to teach your children to do the same. I love the discussions we have on this board! (and I agree about the RED CROSS)
Well said, cherrio
Old 12-19-2012, 08:21 AM

I have some childrens quilts already made for a craft fair, so if you need more I will send a few.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:24 AM

my heart goes out to all those families. I too have to wonder why the town needs those blankets??
that idea of making a memory quilt from there t-shirts etc. for each family that lost a child seems to make more sense. and I'm sure would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:47 AM
Power Poster

Oh wow! What a wonderful outpouring of support!! My thoughts and prayers to everyone touched by the tragedy. While I understand a need for gun control, I understand that we need to be more proactive in reaching and helping those with mental health problems. I don't know all the answers but wish I did and could prevent something like this from ever happening again
Old 12-19-2012, 12:47 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK View Post
Project Linus is wonderful

I am the North Wales coordinator and today I received an email from Head Office, it makes me proud to be a quilter.

"Sandy Hook Elementary School - 700 blankets needed right away
Blanket Need for Connecticut Filled - THANK YOU!!!
December 14, 2012

Dear Linda,
Thank you to everyone for the blankets you have committed to send to Connecticut . Thank you also to those who offered blankets after we reached our goal. I will let you know if we need more.

We are simply overwhelmed by your response. I sent out the initial request for 700 blankets at 10:04 CST and we filled the need by 11:00pm CST. That's less than an hour.

What an amazing and most generous group of coordinators we have!

Thank you so much!
Mary
Mary Balagna Project Linus National VP"

My thoughts, prayers and love goes out to all affected.
Gop
God Bless all the wonderful people there are in this world.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:51 PM

I think that this thread needs to be locked or split into two.
There is at least 3 different discussions here.
Lets be nice to each other. This was/is a tragedy. Quilt request has been filled.
K
Old 12-19-2012, 01:00 PM

This is an answer to something I've been struggling with - a way to make memory quilts for these families. I would LOVE to help out with this project by making one or two. Please keep us informed about this great opportunity.