Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Husband punishment >

Husband punishment

Husband punishment

Old 12-18-2012, 09:22 PM

My Husband would never be interested in going with me. If we are together on a days trip out of town and I have to go in Joanns or somewhere like that , he just sits in the car and rests. He is real easy to get along with. Thank God!
Old 12-19-2012, 04:55 AM

My dh loves to go fabric shopping with me. His mom was an amazing seamstress (wedding gowns) and he's inherited her love for fabrics. I feel fortunate that he is so supportive of my love of quilting. If he should make an 'oops' of a comment, he knows right away and usually says "okay, I'll just shut up now" - gotta love the man!
I can't tell you how many times female shoppers have come up to us and said how sweet it is to have a man who doesn't mind shopping with me and helping to choose color combinations....usually their husbands are out in the car snoring!
Old 12-19-2012, 05:13 AM

I also thought the original post was funny, which I believe was the intent of the author; to share some humor with this board. I can certainly relate to shopping in a fabric store with DH, even though he is very supportive of my quilting and shows it through Bernina sewing machine purchases. I have a t-shirt that I like to wear when I go to fabric stores. It says " Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game worden." I suppose I just offended all the game wordens out there. LOL
Old 12-19-2012, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by debbiecharlie View Post
I think the post was funny, and I laughed when reading it....And I can relate to her very well. I am sorry some took offense to it. I got the same comments back when my daughter became engaged. I was excited, wanted it share it with everyone so I posted it on the board. Received not so nice comments from it. Kinda hurt my feelings, then I realized, "hey, this is my good news". I haven't shared a quilt I made for them because of that. So I am more cautious in my posts.....
I caught the humor in the OP, and I know the feeling that you mentioned. I got the same treatment when I posted about my wife strapping her Featherweight to the back seat of her motorcycle and riding to quilt class. Eighty-nine posts later, the helmet argument finally faded away. I don’t post much anymore now either.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 12-19-2012, 07:46 AM

I would never "punish" my husband, but I did appreciate the humor of the OP. DH and I respect each other a lot and would never refer to our loving ribbing as "punishment" and I think it was just the word that got people's feathers ruffled. DH is great and is always helping me out in the sewing room, but he does have his moments of teasing me.

One time he was flabbergasted at the cost of something (I can't remember what it was) and he started to say so. I looked at his hand, which was holding a very expensive video game controller. He looked down, realized what I was looking at and then looked off into space as if he had no idea what I was talking about, lol.

Last year for Christmas, though, he bought me a Janome 1200D serger. My old serger was dying and he went to the LQS where I buy all my machines. He was going to buy just a plain serger and then he saw the 1200D that does topstitching and can be used for quilting. He said I just had to have it. So I got it, but he also handed it over and told me that it cost a lot more than his game system! I knew he was teasing, but I hid his game controllers that night, lol. But, if I told him I was punishing him, I think the word itself would bother him. If I told DH that he had to spend another 10 minutes in the store, I'd probably end up spending way more money, lol. He's always putting more stuff in the cart.

But, he's a keeper, nonetheless. DD and I were stuck on which shade of green I needed for a border on a quilt last night. So, I left them out with the panel I was using and DH went into the room and fixed the problem for me.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
I caught the humor in the OP, and I know the feeling that you mentioned. I got the same treatment when I posted about my wife strapping her Featherweight to the back seat of her motorcycle and riding to quilt class. Eighty-nine posts later, the helmet argument finally faded away. I don’t post much anymore now either.

CD in Oklahoma
Why would anyone have anything hurtful to say about weddings and motorcycles? It just doesn't make sense.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by debbiecharlie View Post
I think the post was funny, and I laughed when reading it....And I can relate to her very well. I am sorry some took offense to it. I got the same comments back when my daughter became engaged. I was excited, wanted it share it with everyone so I posted it on the board. Received not so nice comments from it. Kinda hurt my feelings, then I realized, "hey, this is my good news". I haven't shared a quilt I made for them because of that. So I am more cautious in my posts.....
Some just like to rain on others parades. I don't pay them any mind. Don't have enough to.. I thought it was funny too. I am sitting here thinking of what anyone could come up with not nice to say about a happy occasion.. my mind is blank.. LOL see told ya I didn't have enough.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
I caught the humor in the OP, and I know the feeling that you mentioned. I got the same treatment when I posted about my wife strapping her Featherweight to the back seat of her motorcycle and riding to quilt class. Eighty-nine posts later, the helmet argument finally faded away. I don’t post much anymore now either.CD in Oklahoma
I love the idea of your wife strapping her Featherweight to her bike. Sure blows the old grandma in the rocking chair quilter idea all to pieces.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:41 PM

I'm disabled and my doctor suggested a hobby to help me manage pain. I started with Knitting and Crochet and 7years ago when a local craft store went out of business I spent about $1200 on yarn and crafting supplies. I had just gotten a settlement due to my injury so it wasn't like I was taking money that was needed for something else. I used a lot over the past 7 years but no where near what I had bought. Two years ago I traded a lot of the supplies to a spinning wheel dealer to buy a spinning wheel and roving as I wanted to learn to spin my own yarn. Unfortunately after I had put in a fairly large investment in a carder and add-ons for the wheel, I found that it caused me more pain to spin. I even had to give up my knitting after having carpal tunnel and ulnar surgery on both hands and elbows. This puts my husband at an attitude that I wasted a lot of money on crafting and I don't really hear the end of it. In my opinion I feel I got lots of pleasure and enjoyment over those years and due to what I bought, I didn't have to buy as many new supplies as if I would have over time for all the projects I made. Yarn like fabric is expensive and you can spend up to $120 in yarn on just one project.

I've always wanted to sew and quilt and recently had someone teach me how and have just fallen in love with it. My husband has been surprisingly supportive in light of my previous crafting. I've been using a borrowed sewing machine from my Mom but it is giving me a lot of grief. My husband for Christmas looked online and bought me a used Viking so I'd have a machine of my own. He did say that we didn't want to put out a big outlay of money until I'm sure this is something I can continue to do. Which considering what happened before I completely agree with. He also let me convert our spare bedroom into a crafting room and gave me the home depot credit card to put in wall to wall shelving. Even more surprising he insisted I buy an entire roll of batting instead of just buying enough for my current project. I do think the difference is that he has seen the first quilt I made and really liked the job I did on it and is wanting me to make quilts for all his family members.

As for going into a quilt store or Joannes with me. Due to my medical issues he prefers to go with me when I go out, so I don't have the choice of letting him stay home while I shop. He could sit in the car and wait with a book but I think he is more nosey than that. He comes in with me and doesn't' really give me time to just browse. He is more of a get in, get what you need, get out kind of guy. I don't take it to heart as he is that way no matter what we are shopping for. If we can buy something online he'd prefer to do that.

Even with all that he is a wonderful husband and practically dotes on me to the point my Mom is trying to give him lessons on saying "NO" to me lol.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:58 PM

Never take DH with me. It's not his thing. And--- he never complains about wht I spend because he knows I don't over do it. Just like he doesn't over do it when he goes to the hardware store. That's his Joanns.