Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
DH is TRYING to fix my machine! >

DH is TRYING to fix my machine!

DH is TRYING to fix my machine!

Old 12-21-2012, 07:26 AM

I dont know how your repair guy is.......but ours is very good to not charge you an arm and leg if it is a easy fix.
but ........someone "trying" to fix it......might make it worse.... Good Luck.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:07 AM

i have had issues with my Pfaff 4 and the thread cutting mechanism. Apparently, there is also a little hook on the right hand side of the mechanism that interacts with the bobbin case. if the left hand hook isn't completely retracted to the left and the right hand side in it's correct position, it catches and makes it so the thread gets caught or the needle breaks. Once i saw that, it was easy enough to clean out the bobbin area. make sure cutter was all the way to left and then re-assemble bobbin area and sew away. Until then i spend one evening being so frustrated that the thread kept breaking or the needle kept hanging up.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:08 PM

I was having some challenges with my sewing..discovered a small piece of thread stuck under the thread tension on the bobbin.. I used a piece of card stock to slip under the tension bar on the bobbin case and there was a tiny piece of thread..now it works great again..tiny, tiny pieces of lint or thread in hard to see places can cause machines to sew uneven, skip stitches etc.. So wonderful when machines work great!!! so frustrating when they don't!! Happy Sewing everyone!!
Old 12-21-2012, 12:12 PM

I had a machine given to me and general opinion is the timing is off. What is considered a reasonable amount to fix it. Right now I cannot afford it but could save for it.
Seems to be in good shape otherwise.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:37 PM

He sounds like a keeper! My DH is too impatient to do anything like that. He always tells me to take it to the shop if it's something I can't do!
Old 12-21-2012, 05:50 PM

No screws left over! That is a miracle. I find leftover screws all over the house from my Mr. Fixit. He just shrugs and says, "They were extras."
Old 12-22-2012, 06:58 AM

Like the old featherweight - that's the advantage to vertical bobbins. You can take the bobbin out of the machine and cut the threads to get the fabric off. Once the bobbin's out, tip the machine sideways and you can see what you are doing.

If the fabric isn't down the needle hole, one of those serger scythe type seam rippers works well. Just lift up the fabric enough and you can cut threads with one swipe instead of trying to get scissors in there.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:13 AM

I am so sorry to hear of your dilema right at Christmas! I used to live in Ramona...if I still did, I would bring you one of my machines to use. I learned long ago that having a back up machine is a good idea...Walmart has them for less than $100. right now...they might not be the best but they might get you over a tight spot. This time of year, they should be on sale, also. Best of luck to you and let us know how this turns out! I loved Ramona, miss it still. I lived out at the Country Estates but nearly allt he homes around us burned in the Cedar fire and so we decided it was time to move...we moved to Texas and I have regretted that ever since!
Old 12-22-2012, 07:13 AM

My Son asked me whether I wanted a new computerized machine, said NOPE, my 1960"s models Universal and Singer are just fine. Easy to repair and use. Have put miles and miles on these machines have a 1943 model singer for backup. Would love a FW though. Blessings to you all, Merry Christmas.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:50 AM

Did he try a really strong magnet to pull up metal that can't be reached? I don't like air pressure because it blows the object into the machine sometimes. I am not familiar with a Brother but my machine has a bottom plate that unscrews. After that is undone --most scrap and fuzz can be shaken out the bottom. Don't be afraid of your machine. My Futura has a plastic bobbin case. Everytime it piles up the needle damages the plastic case making a rough spot on the outside. This will catch the thread and won't sew smoothly or in my case it was not at all. I have to sand the edge smooth or buy another bobbin case. They are $16 but I would pay a good price for a metal one.

I think in order to be a good sewer or artist you must also be a mechanic too. When it comes to handing out money to clean up my machine, I always say "I could have done it myself and been more satisfied. If I need info , I google the internet and usually a techie will have had the same problem. I'm always amazed at the tutorials on You Tube.
I just learned how to install a clutch cable. Yes, I'm taking it out to be repaired. (it's too cold to be under the car this time of year.) BUt I know what he is going to do and there will be no surprises when the bill comes.