Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do YOU stop buying fabrics? >

How do YOU stop buying fabrics?

How do YOU stop buying fabrics?

Old 01-14-2013, 03:19 AM
Power Poster

self discipline! if you don't need it---don't buy it!
if doing the shophop- just find the bunny & leave the site-move on to the next one
if receiving newsletters with great sales---just delete them (remove the temptation)
sometimes i will (shop, shop, shop) at an on line shop---really- put every single thing i would love to have into the shopping cart....then go to the cart...see the hundreds of dollars i have (on my wish list) and empty the cart...then close the site---for a bit it was fun to (load the cart) but then reality set in & i put it all back! if visiting the lqs- i make a list before i go- exactly what i am there for- i may ooohhh & aahhh over what is new---but then i get out my list & buy what i went for.
also, join the (moratorium) group---then you have a support system with many of us who are not buying fabric!
consider using what you have as (motivation) when the stash is used up you have an (excuse) to shop
Old 01-14-2013, 03:56 AM

Lightbulb Oh man

Originally Posted by SewCrazy4Quilts View Post
Serious question here....It's almost becoming an addiction. LOL

Please tell me I'm not alone.
You are definitely NOT ALONE!!!! I have to physically just stay away from that end of town. I have a routine, it goes like this (if I accidentally browse fabric on the internet, or accidentally end up in a fabric store)
Q: Do you need it NOW??
A: No, but.... (wrong answer, no "buts" allowed)
Q: Will you use it in the next 6-12 mos?
A: No, but...(wrong answer, no "buts" allowed)
Q: Will it affect your health or well being?
A: YES!!
Q: Will your sewing endeavors stop if you dont get it??
A: No but... (wrong answer, no "buts" allowed )

Then I tally up the answers, if I get just one yes, I go for it....I usually end up feeling guilty....but my health and well being are great!!
Old 01-14-2013, 04:15 AM

LOL, I switched from fabric to patterns. I keep telling myself I will use my stash to make this pattern.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:23 AM
Swap Hosts

Grammy1231 and Lynnie - love your responses.

I had the same problem at one point. Let me begin by saying that I sew veils for a living and while I mostly buy my lace from wholesale sources, I do go into Joann from time to time. That was the problem. Those darn coupons.

I organized everything on floor to ceiling shelves in my studio. Well, not everything. I still had tubs under my desk and a big one that I was working from in the living room. Then I decided that I would not buy any more fabric. Not a shred. Not from Joann, not from estate sales. None.

I started a blog about wanting to sew through everything before the end of my life. The challenge was on.

Then on October 29th it was all destroyed by Hurricane Sandy. All of it. My house, too.

What a mess. Eventually I tried to wash some, but it was just too disgusting.

And then my dear friends at the QB and Quiltsy started sending me packages to our new apartment. I now have more fabric than I need and am grateful for every last bit of it. Space is limited here and I now have no car to get to a store so it's not a temptation to shop. This time -- I WILL sew through everything. Every last scrap.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by tucsonquilter View Post
Retiring early with limited income sure stopped me from buying like I used to.
Boy, can I second that! My pre-retirement stash is carrying me through with an occasional buy from Connecting Threads and a very occasional buy from the LQS. Would love to shop at the LQS more, but just can't.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:45 AM

We're all in this pickle, just want more and more fabric. So just don't get out of bed, turn on tv or ipads or computers or make a call to order. I think that sums it up. oh yes or nook. just hide away. All this don't work for me. GOOD luck!!!
Old 01-14-2013, 05:49 AM

First, I don't go wandering through fabric shops if I am not looking for fabric for a project that is at hand. I do not subscribe to very many online purchasing sites, just two. They lure you in to buy beautiful fabrics that you don't need, only love. Second, if I don't need any thread, batting etc. I toss out the JoAnn's flier immediately. I also NEVER buy any thing from JoAnn's unless I can use a coupon. If I get a good 60% off coupon, I buy batting or muslin backing by the bolt. But most often I just toss the flier because what I want is 30% off nearly all of the time. I may be hard nosed about this but I feel that although it is a store's job to sell me their products, it is my job to buy what I NEED.

I know that other individuals try to use a fabric budget. Then there is the group that recycle fabric from other sources. Still others feel that it is fiscally responsible to not over spend but to make use of what is currently at hand. I work some where in between all of those. Now some, and I suspect that there are many among us, that just love the look the feel and incredible buzz from a good looking piece of 100% cotton. Well, consider it an investment but invest with wisdom and purpose. Happy Quilting!
Old 01-14-2013, 06:15 AM

I joined the fabric moratorium for the last two years, last year and now this year. I did real well last year. Only bought a spool of thread and a couple of small pieces of fabric when I didn't have anything in my stash that would work. I made quite a few quilts and they turned out wonderfully. I am also using my scraps as much as I can so they do not pile up. I paid for the scraps too so I'm being thrifty! HA I have two large wooden cupboards full of print fabrics and a large metal shelf full of plain colors so there is on reason not to use them. I also have totes full of panels and unusual fabrics as well as men's neckties, etc. Since I am pushing 80 I think I should use as much as I can. Have also offered my daughters fabrics for their quilting projects. I just made a Christmas quilt top and when I ran out of one cream on cream print, I just found another and kept going. It turned out fine. I also made a heart quilt top and when I ran out of one red, I just used another and it really made it interesting. I don't go to the fabric stores and there is only one other stores that sells fabric in our area so I stay out of there. Don't go to the thrift stores unless I need something specific so I feel good about the moratorium, rather than feeling deprived. Good luck with your efforts to cut down.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:36 AM

I only shop with my quilting buddy. We both try to restrain each other from buying more than we need. It really helps.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:38 AM

I don't stop!.....LOL....I am always buying fabric, usually 2-3 quilts ahead.....I don't buy fabric without a planned quilt in mind.....am buying fat quarters in blues to finally make a quilt for me!....all the rest have been given away.....but that one is #3 on the never-ending list.