Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Turning stop motion screw doesn't stop the needle from moving.  Help. >

Turning stop motion screw doesn't stop the needle from moving. Help.

Turning stop motion screw doesn't stop the needle from moving. Help.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:39 PM

Default Turning stop motion screw doesn't stop the needle from moving. Help.

I've been working on my 1916 Singer 128 today. I cleaned up everything and oiled it, adjusted the tension and it's sewing really well. It's a handcrank and I've never sewn with one of those so this is a new experience. So, I have a couple of questions.

First, when I threaded the bobbin, I turned the stop motion screw but the needle still went up and down. I think I remember someone else having this problem but I didn't bookmark it at the time and now I need to find out how to fix this. Can someone tell me what to do or direct me to a video or something?

Also, I'm going to have to replace the tire on the bobbin winder. It looks like it's 97 years old, like the machine. I should take the bobbin winder off the machine and take everything apart to clean it a little better. Do I just measure the tire at that point? Do I just take the large screw out?... the one below the winder assembly?

I'll take a picture of this machine tomorrow and post it.... I'd like to know the name of the decals. I thought it was a redeye at first but now I realize it's not one of those.

Thanks
Old 10-25-2013, 06:15 PM

http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2012/06/ho...om-moving.html

I don't know the answers to your other questions, except La Vencedora decals?
Old 10-25-2013, 07:19 PM

Yep, that's the one I was looking for. Thanks Sheluma.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:19 AM

I said I would take a picture to find out the name of the decals on this machine. I'm thinking that Sheila is right, La Vencedora, without even seeing the machine..... way to go.
Attached Thumbnails sew1-006.jpg  
Old 10-26-2013, 12:02 PM

That machine is beautiful and shiny and perfect! And you have a hand crank!! I guessed on the La Vencedora because it was a fairly common 128 decal and also it has the redeye colors. When I first saw this decal set I thought it was a redeye, too. Congrats on your new machine!
Old 10-26-2013, 12:18 PM

Thanks, Sheila. It is a pretty machine.... not as shiny as I plan to get it but the decals are pretty nice. I just finished taking the hand wheel off and fixing that stop motion screw..... whew!! Not very difficult and now the needle doesn't go up and down when I wind a bobbin. I still need to replace the tire and I'm not sure what size.... or even the best way to get it off. But, I'll figure it out.

I was so excited when I got this machine. I'd been looking for a handcrank. It was at an estate sale and was pictured on the site. But I had to take my son with me because I had broken my arm and couldn't lift it. It's been sitting waiting for me to get to it.......the arm is all healed and now I'm sewing with this cool machine.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:48 PM

Glad your arm is better! Sew-classic has bobbin tires. You could email her and ask which size for the 128. It might be the standard size.
http://shop.sew-classic.com/Bobbin-W...-Tires_c16.htm

Is the old tire stuck and not wanting to come off? I haven't had this problem so I don't know what you should do. But it looks like it might be easier to work on with the handwheel off. (I know, you already did that!) Maybe you could soften it up with something that won't harm the machine, like oil or even liquid wrench? You'll then have to get all the oil off the wheel before you put the new one on.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:21 PM

Thanks, I'll try some oil on the tire..... it works. I'm winding the bobbins but it's cracked, etc.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:34 PM

The tire should be a standard size one, the most common one that Jenny carries.

I wouldn't take the bobbin winder apart. 9 times out of 10 it's fine, but once I had one come apart in my hands, now I'm "spooked".
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...e-t203282.html

At the end of the day the only thing that held it was super glue, and that wasn't permanent either. It's decorative only now. I wasn't able to find a 127/128 bobbin winder, only a 27/28 bobbin winder.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:15 AM

She's a beauty! That is one of my favorite decals.

I have the same one and after I cleaned it up I made a little doll quilt with it, just to try it out. I had never used that type of bobbin before and it worked perfect. Mine has a motor but I might switch it to hand crank so the little kids can use it plus I like the clickety-clack sound of a handcrank.