Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Turning stop motion screw doesn't stop the needle from moving.  Help. >

Turning stop motion screw doesn't stop the needle from moving. Help.

Turning stop motion screw doesn't stop the needle from moving. Help.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:32 AM

Yes, I bought this one because I wanted a hand crank.... and I loved the decals. I just finished a quilt on it and it works beautifully..... but I keep reaching for the foot pedal..... habit I guess. And, I miss having a light right on my work. I'm thinking of rigging up an old desk lamp to use with it. It's been good exercise for my arm..... still a little sore at times even after a year.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:24 PM

If your current ty

re is cracked then it may just break into pieces when you try and roll it off the wheel - I've had 2 do that to me - otherwise you could try heating it with a hair dryer which should make it more pliable to roll off.

When you get the new one just drop it into a cup of hot water for a few minutes which will make it soften and then roll it on to the wheel with a strong push.

New tyres and lots of other things can be bought from Helen Howes website in the UK if you have no joy else where - http://www.helenhowes-sewingmachines.co.uk/winders.html

Anneg
Old 10-28-2013, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
Thanks, I'll try some oil on the tire..... it works. I'm winding the bobbins but it's cracked, etc.
If it works I would put it off. My 401 is like that, with the original beige bobbin tire. It's got little cracks in it but still works. I admit, if beige tires were available I'd replace it, but I guess I'm waiting for it to stop working.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by anneg View Post
re is cracked then it may just break into pieces when you try and roll it off the wheel - I've had 2 do that to me - otherwise you could try heating it with a hair dryer which should make it more pliable to roll off.

When you get the new one just drop it into a cup of hot water for a few minutes which will make it soften and then roll it on to the wheel with a strong push.
Anneg
Great ideas!