Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
portable ironing station >

portable ironing station

portable ironing station

Old 10-29-2009, 07:35 AM

I used a layer of the silver teflon fabric first to protect the wood so it wouldn't warp from the heat and the steam. Maybe that's what the insulbrite was for. Then, I used two layers of regular cotton batting and topped it with the silver teflon fabric. Another friend just cut up her old ironing board cover and padding when she replaced it. She put a plain muslin backing on it and just lays it on the tv table instead of tacking it down.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:46 AM
Power Poster

I use a wooden t v tray next to my sewing machine for those small things i iron with my clover iron and sometimes I even use my regular iron. Works great.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:15 AM

I would recommend the stapling it underneath part. I am not sure the removable cover would be stable enough for small piece pressing and such. Just a thought.

I made a 30" x 48" covered board to fit over my ironing board. Gave me more room to work with than just the ironing board size. I stapled that under and have been using it for over 4 years now.

Have fun!!
Old 10-29-2009, 11:39 AM

I have a spring from my old ironing board cover it has a hook on it that I am going to make my portable table ironing station with you could also use those slip cover garters. LOL
Old 10-29-2009, 12:38 PM

I found a breakfast tray with stand (at a garage sale) that I wrapped in 2 layers batting and 2 layers of muslin (stapled on and then some decorative lace glued over top to finish the rough edges). It works great, larger surface area than a regular tv tray, and is VERY stable/sturdy. Easy to bring with me to retreats and classes. The muslin is starting to show some signs of discoloration, so I've been thinking about making a tailored slip cover for it that I can throw in the wash from time to time. I've thought about using the silver ironing board cover material, but the muslin has been working just fine so far. I also contemplate using a permanent marker to make some lines on it so that I can press my fabric straight, but haven't don that either.

I get lots of compliments from quilters any time I bring it out. I love having a low ironing platform new to my machine that I can just swivel to the side to press and sew without getting up. A must for lazy people like me!!!!!!

And for multi function, turn it over (like it's original use) and carry my odds and ends supplies to classes on the tray portion. I usually slip a trash bag over it during transport just so that I don't set it down on something sticky/dirty.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-4342.jpe
Views:	702
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	4342   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-4343.jpe
Views:	952
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	4343  
Old 10-29-2009, 02:46 PM

I really like this! Now.....find a garage sale for this breakfast tray!
Old 10-29-2009, 05:40 PM

but wouldn't the extra ones make great Christmas gifts for some of your quilting buddies ? smitty
Old 10-29-2009, 05:43 PM

I found an old typing table (remember those that you set your typewriter on with rolling wheels?) at a flea market. Spray painted it. My DH cut a piece of plywood 10" W X 18" L and I covered it with several layers of cotton batting. I had recently put on a new ironing board cover on my regular ironing board. I saw that the end of the teflon cover looked like new where the iron usually sits. So I took that part of the old cover and stapled it tightly under the board to cover my little "ironing board". then I glued a heavy piece of felt on the bottom to cover the staples to eliminate scratching, etc. I just place this little covered board on my typing table with my iron right by my sewing machine. Then, sometimes, if I need that space for something else, I can just move the iron and little board to the counter top for a while.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:02 PM

I use a plastic drawer tower that's 4 stacked drawers high - about 27" high with a purchased ironing mat placed on top called a "Quilter's Square 'n Press". This is just a bit larger than the top of the drawer tower - 12" X 17", but works just fine. I can roll the drawer tower over to right next to where I sit at my machine and then it's very convenient for me to press seams as soon as I sew pieces together and I don't have to get up. The ironing mat has gold heat resistant fabric on the underside so no heat is transfered to the surface it sits on. When I'm not using this as a press station I can roll it back next to the wall, out of the way.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:25 PM

try walmart...single trays for under $10.00....