Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Struggle with the economy? Any tips or hints? >

Struggle with the economy? Any tips or hints?

Struggle with the economy? Any tips or hints?

Old 01-30-2013, 12:51 PM

Stitch, when I calculated the SS difference yrs ago (62 vs 65) it seems like it took 17 yrs for the 65 yr. olds to catch up. Your DH not only should think about that but also if SS is going to be there when he decides to sign up for it. I'd feel a lot better if our nest eggs weren't getting raided.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:08 PM

We have a program on the TV at present called "Superscrimpers" a lot of it is reruns but well worth looking at, I don't know if you can view it over the pond or how relevant it is but I will post the link any ways: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/superscrimpers
Old 01-30-2013, 03:32 PM

Use dry beans to make soup, it's warm, filling, and inexpensive. Watch for good sales on the meat items you need.

Start a potluck/game night with friends. It's fun and won't cost much if you all contribute a food item. I can tell my true friends when I can't afford to go out to dinner and a movie, and they can tell me. We play Mexican Train, Scrabble, or just a game of cards.

I'm working from my stash, only, at this point. But it's still comforting to have sewing in my hand and I love the fabrics I already have.

Check if your local library sells old magazines inexpensively. Something new to read and usually cost very little.

Good luck and hang in there.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:55 PM
Power Poster

Stitch, you and your dh should make an appointment at the local Social Security office and get the facts. You often end up with more money if you retire earlier. Both my dh and I ended up starting SS earlier than we had planned once we saw how it worked out. In general, it takes about 10 years to break even on a one-year delay in retirement. Also, we did not realize that dh could take full SS without any penalty even though he is still working full-time; this was because he had reached full retirement age.

It really helps to go to a SS office and sit down with an expert who will explain exactly what the differences are between retiring now and waiting a year, two years, three years, etc. It was a real eye-opener for us!
Old 01-30-2013, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by ontheriver View Post
Some good ideas. Keep them coming please. Never heard of washing your hair with conditioner, doesn't it get greasy? I shop more and more at the Dollar Tree. I have been developing a list of things I purchase on a regular basis like toilet paper, dish soap, trashbags, can goods, dry foods, etc., how much I use in a month, and what it costs at each store. I am getting to know what to buy where unless I find a great sale. Example, my 12 yo likes koolaid. I found I can get a package with 12 envelopes at dollar general for 1.00, while at WinDixie it is like .30 for each envelope. Lois-nounoe, I have the world's blackest thumb, I can't get anything to grow and I have tried many times. Wish I could grow my own foods, especially tomatoes, I just love tomatoes. I live in the country, have plenty of area to work with, just can't. Have 2 freezers I could use and lots of pantry space.
I also have a black thumb- my solution is my son who is only 7 has a great thumb growing tomatoes. Haven't tried anything else yet- but he is thinking pumpkins and tomatoes next year. I'm hoping he will do squash and tomatoes.

I make my own laundry soap. It is way cheaper than buying the already made stuff. Gets my clothes cleaner and I like it.

I use vinager for a lot of different items- check it out you will be surprised at what it all does.

I put a little water in each container- be it food or water to get every drop I can.

I buy on sale- especially food. I add oatmeal to hambergers- don't tell DH.

Maybe the most important thing was to only have the prepaid cell phones. Funny how much that saves me. Only call when I need too.

Try tv with public broadcasting - no bill except the donation they request.

Switch out of good clothes and into play clothes the minute they come in the door.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by damaquilts View Post
I signed up on her FB page. I saw fabric softener crystals (which I had never heard of ) and again it was timely. I was thinking there has to be a cheaper/better/healthier way to make fabric softener . I usually use the sheets but this sounds ok to me too.
I use vinager in my rinse cycle - no fabric softner needed.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:57 PM

I have learned a lot from all these comments, but there is something I have not seen mentioned. I never use a credit card when a debit card is handy. When I do have to use a credit card, I pay it off at the first bill so I never pay interest. I am sure the bank hates me, but I would rather spend the money on something for me and not the bank.

Mostly, I spend cash so I know how much is going out to to whom. I buy only underwear and shoes new. Everything else comes from thrift shops (and I get frequent compliments on my wardrobe.) An eagle eye and frequent visits to thrift shops in well-off neighborhoods pay for the gas in clothing savings.

I talked to my insurance agent and found sveral hundreds in savings on car and home insurance without lowering most coverage levels. You have to ask how to save money on insurance. A good agent will work with you and find places to reduce if there are any to find.

I haunt the meat aisle at the grocery store in the late morning when they reduce the meat that is within a day or so of its "sell-by" date. Lots of good deals there, especially on stuff that's too pricey for me to buy when it's at full price. We have had pork spareribs (when did they get so expensive?), lovely salmon, pork loin and too many other things to recount here.

Thanks to everyone who has offered these great suggestions.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:16 PM

Speaking of SS . This is something I didn't know and it will help me a bit . If you were married for 10yrs and divorced it doesn't matter how long ago as long as you didn't remarry. You can collect on your ex's SS. It will help me only a little bit but every bit helps.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:00 PM
Power Poster

if you have a dollar tree they have alot of brands names now and also take coupons.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:29 PM

This is a little thing, but it helps with cooling in the summer and heating in the winter!

I bake enough sweet potatoes and white potatoes for the weeks meals all at once. In the summer, this means the house only heats up once a week for that. In the winter, after the cooking is done, I open the oven door and let it escape into the house.

I also have a little electric oven that I got at Walmart for $20 a couple of years ago. In the summer, I set it up outside and cook a complete meal in it. Can't do it on a windy day, though.

If you have a vent fan to the outdoors over your stove (or in your bathroom) be sure to turn them off as quickly as you can. They don't just pull odors out of the house, they also pull heat and air-conditioning out.

Sure hope this helps, even a tiny bit.