Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Struggle with the economy? Any tips or hints? >

Struggle with the economy? Any tips or hints?

Struggle with the economy? Any tips or hints?

Old 02-24-2013, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
Stitch, If your husband waits until he's 67+ to draw SS, how much longer after that does he plan on living? I had to retire at 62 and opted to draw SS rather than going to the hassle of doing a disability. Having lived 10 years after past 62, I am probably making up the amount I gave up by not working until I was 66 to get the full amount. I think there are calculators online on the SS site. I didn't use one because I needed the money. Period.

The jeans I have on today are at least 20 years old and were on sale when my daughter bought them for me.
Yes, I did not start SS at 62, but in 63 yr. I finally learned that you would have to be 82 to make up what you would have drawn by starting at 62. If you don't need it, invest it & it will grow in your bank. I am now 69 & have a great emergency fund.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
We also have a small toaster/convection oven and for just the 2 of us it gets a good workout. Between it and the slow cooker the larger oven is very rarely used unless we are having company & need to cook 3 or 4 items at a time.
I use my slow cooker a lot, it's on now with Muffin's food, yesterday making a home made soup. Last year I bought a Halogen oven and now never use my grill or oven, even my microwave is used rarely since I have bought it, saves a fortune on electricity. If my large oven goes on the blink I would never replace it just get a table top two ring cooker.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:42 AM

Most of the recipes that use pasta can have rice substituted. Obviously it will not be the same dish, but spagetti sauce served over rice makes a tasty dish that is cheaper than spagetti. Your favorite pie fillings can be served as puddings saving the cost of the crust and the calories. Both of these are also ways to keep the "almost same" meals but make them gluten free.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:51 AM

We have a roaster oven we keep on the back screened porch and we use it in the summer. That save on A/C bills. Before they brought fiber optic tv/internet out here, I used to get my dialup internet through Goodwill. Yes, Goodwill. It was only $75 annually. Have bought a lot of clothes lately at a local thrift shop.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by ontheriver View Post
Some good ideas. Keep them coming please. Never heard of washing your hair with conditioner, doesn't it get greasy? I shop more and more at the Dollar Tree. I have been developing a list of things I purchase on a regular basis like toilet paper, dish soap, trashbags, can goods, dry foods, etc., how much I use in a month, and what it costs at each store. I am getting to know what to buy where unless I find a great sale. Example, my 12 yo likes koolaid. I found I can get a package with 12 envelopes at dollar general for 1.00, while at WinDixie it is like .30 for each envelope. Lois-nounoe, I have the world's blackest thumb, I can't get anything to grow and I have tried many times. Wish I could grow my own foods, especially tomatoes, I just love tomatoes. I live in the country, have plenty of area to work with, just can't. Have 2 freezers I could use and lots of pantry space.
Try contacting your local cooperative extension, local garden club, library, garden centers. They can give you lots of information and advice on growing your own veggies, even if you have a black thumb. They'll start you with the easiest growing ones first until you get more skill and experience and confidence. You can do it! Give it a try again!
Old 02-24-2013, 04:54 PM

Loved reading all the hints....grew up poor and we did lots of the ideas written. Now living on .
SS only and finding it more and more difficult to keep up. Looks as if I too will be using a lot more savings ideas....My biggest expense is gas.....live in rural area and need to drive 10 miles each way to stay in touch with friends....They are very important in my life so I will continue with that and cut back other places.....Can't go back to work as I have kidney disease and am on disability...Been on chemo over 10 years so must stay away from large groups of people and can't risk catching any illness they may have....What happened to the "golden years"?
Old 02-26-2013, 09:32 PM

Like others, I buy meat on sale and divide it up and freeze it. I buy shampoo, but don't buy a separate bottle of body wash, just use the shampoo. We usually have a garden every summer, and I can and freeze a lot. When I buy or produce onions, green peppers, etc., I always slice them or chop them and freeze them to use later. We have a large apricot tree that produces like crazy every year and I pit and freeze them 4cups at a time in freezer bags and make apricot pies the rest of the year! Then we invite the neighbors to come in and pick all they want, LOL!

We use Magic Jack to make all our long distant calls. You can even take it with you if you travel and plug it in when you arrive. We still have our regular home phone because we get our DSL from the phone company. I'd like to get rid of DISH. My phone company is now offering TV and it would be cheaper and there is not all that programing that I never watch....or the "70" radio stations.

For those of you on Medicare, check out First Health on the drug program. Most of my meds and all of DH's meds are generics. Generics are FREE on this program, so if most or all of yours are generics, switch over and save money.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:48 PM

To Prism99, you are most likely allergic to sulfates that are in the shampoos and conditioners. I am also, Get like a boil and busts and then is a sore that takes a while to go away, I used to have a lot on my head til I found out that I was allergic to it and started using some that doesn't have sulfates in it. The only thing I have found that I can use is the Loreal shampoos & conditioners that are sulfate free.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dragonomine View Post
I'm on disability so working isn't an option for me. I do sell some things on Etsy and Ebay but it doesn't really add up to much. Half of what I earn probably goes to listing fees. lol
why don't you list it on here if you have fabric to sell or what ever?
Old 02-26-2013, 10:53 PM

If I could do my job without all the traveling and gas I would have lots of money. However I must travel to do my job, and have to work with someone who wants to micromanage all of us and it is scary because I think she is trying to get rid of us, so she can get her friends to work--hope she has good luck on that one. I need to have this job as it pays for my health ins that I used to pay out $1200 a month for 2. Now I pay $400.28 a month. Save where I can.