Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Do you think it makes a difference if it's new or vintage re: Featherweight >
  • Do you think it makes a difference if it's new or vintage re: Featherweight

• Do you think it makes a difference if it's new or vintage re: Featherweight

Old 02-25-2013, 06:50 PM

Wow!!!!

I didn't realize the old cases had such a problem. I'll strongly consider the "new" case for it. Thanks so much, pretty much 100% for the newer case...didn't expect that! I guess for resale at some time it wouldn't hurt the value too much. Thanks.
    Old 02-25-2013, 08:28 PM

I would buy the new case...then you won't have to deal with the smell. I have both old and new in my collection.
    Old 02-26-2013, 04:42 AM

I recommend getting a new case for everyday use and keeping your eyes open for an original case that might come your way eventually at a reasonable price. All 3 of the FW's I have owned came in their original cases, and none of them had any odors, so it is possible that you will find a good case if you are patient.
    Old 02-26-2013, 06:56 AM

I took one of my sewing machines, not a featherweight, to my OSMG. The case reeked of old sewing machine oil. He reached for a small spritzer bottle and gave it a couple of spritzes. I asked him what is was and he said patchtouli oil. I don't smell old oil anymore just patchtouli. I am guessing that the patchtouli oil is overpowering the old oil. I have not tried it on the featherweight cases though.
    Old 02-26-2013, 08:02 AM

I was lucky my FW's case was in good shape and did not have a smell to it. Has anyone tried putting Bounce Dryer Sheets in the cases and shutting it up for a period of time. I have used them to take residual smells out of the plastic cappacino containers that I use in my Sewing Room.
    Old 02-26-2013, 10:44 AM

I tried everything to get the smell out . . . before the kids made a tool box out of the case :-)
    Old 02-26-2013, 12:06 PM

I lucked out with my ebay purchase of FW with case , all attachments, book and no stinky case (it does smell old, but that is to be expected). I have taken my machine out of the case and put it in a heavily padded roller case. It is easier for me to move around and keeps my original case pristine, if someday it needs to be sold! That day will be after I am no longer earthbound!! LOL
    Old 02-26-2013, 12:55 PM

Depending on your budget, go for the convenience of a rolling type case if you're a traveling quilter; then keep your eye peeled for a good vintage case (for instance if you go to the 100 mile long yard sale annually here in TN); you then add the cost of your vacation to the price of the carrying case and realize that you are spending big bucks for a small trinket.....but at least you can smell it before you buy it and figure out if it is going to be worth your while to work on the smell. Newspapers and sunshine did the job on mine; I have four, but some of the locks are broken (can't be found anywhere, and I hold my case together with a bungee cord), the leather (sic) is scratched on all of them and some of them really look bad. But I keep my machines out all the time and show off with them when my quilting friends drop in for a sewing get together.....
    Old 02-26-2013, 10:35 PM

Where can you buy new cases for vintage machines?
    Old 02-27-2013, 07:19 PM

Well folks...I just nailed a vintage case, they state no smell, we'll see. I'm kinda happy that I was able to get it to match the machine.

New cases are on Amazon, Ebay, and most vintage sewing sites..just type in google featherweight case..