Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mary Jo's Fabric Store >

Mary Jo's Fabric Store

Mary Jo's Fabric Store

Old 03-01-2013, 03:05 PM

For years I lived within 15 minutes of Mary Jo's. I shopped there for the first time when she was located in the town of Dallas off the court square. Anyone else go that far back? Remember the fire? Mary Jo has really overcome lots of things. I read somewhere that she started by selling muslin out of the back of her father's barber shop.

I have shopped fabric all over the USA and Canada and Mary Jo's is still my favorite.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:52 PM

Love MJ's . My MIL lives in Charlotte so I go often and it is amazing!
Old 03-01-2013, 04:16 PM

Gruber's, in Minnesota, is the place to go for fabric. The first time I went there, it was with a friend, on our way home from our first quilting retreat. We just stood there with our mouths open! Now, I go once a year, either before or after that same retreat ... we've made a habit of it!
Old 03-01-2013, 04:31 PM

Love that store! Didn't know about the website...will have to check it out! My friends and I will be going there next month on our way to a week of quilting at the Outer Banks.

Last edited by rorostat; 03-01-2013 at 04:32 PM. Reason: type
Old 03-01-2013, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by san-sing View Post
What kind of prices do they have on batting? I went to their web site, but couldn't get batting to show up.
I found the website a bit cumbersome, and the only batting I was able to unearth was Mountain Mist. I could see any fabrics except a few polished cottons on sale, although there is a tantalizing list of brand names. What am I doing wrong???

I will say this, there is a huge array of quilting rulers! That part of the site worked for me, but I don't need any more rulers (repeating this to myself, over and over...)!
Old 03-01-2013, 06:13 PM

I love Mary Jo's too, and am lucky to live about 50 minutes away. After moving to South Carolina, it took me awhile to become acquainted with the quilt shops in the area and am so glad I discovered Mary Jo's. If you go to Gastonia, there is also a very nice quilt shop called "Sew Much Fun." It is only about 10 minutes from Mary Jo's and they have beautiful fabric and a newly expanded store. To the lady that asked if Mary Jo's cuts or tears the fabric, they tear it. The first time I saw that, I was horrified. It seemed so barbaric! I understand the fact that that is how you get the straight of grain, but it often messes up the print so you lose about an inch on each end and I don't appreciate that. I've asked them if they will cut it if requested, and was told their policy is to tear it. Period. That's my only complaint with them.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:15 PM

Mary Jo's is a great place to visit. Go with a project or two in mind, along with yardage requirements. It can be overwhelming the first time. I find the website antiquated and cumbersome. It doesn't really show all their fabrics and it's too time consuming to even browse. But remember, it's not just a quilting store, the sell home decor fabrics and embellishments for any project, indoor and outdoor. They also sell bridal and prom fabrics that are fabulous!!
Old 03-01-2013, 06:30 PM

I live not too far from Charlotte, NC, but have never been to Mary Jo's. I'll have to make serious sense of my messy stash first. Very small house, no room for us, much less sewing! =))

Rorostat, I need to stow away in your trunk! The beach *and* quilting?! HEAVEN! ;0)
Old 03-01-2013, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by DJinSC View Post
I love Mary Jo's too, and am lucky to live about 50 minutes away. After moving to South Carolina, it took me awhile to become acquainted with the quilt shops in the area and am so glad I discovered Mary Jo's. If you go to Gastonia, there is also a very nice quilt shop called "Sew Much Fun." It is only about 10 minutes from Mary Jo's and they have beautiful fabric and a newly expanded store. To the lady that asked if Mary Jo's cuts or tears the fabric, they tear it. The first time I saw that, I was horrified. It seemed so barbaric! I understand the fact that that is how you get the straight of grain, but it often messes up the print so you lose about an inch on each end and I don't appreciate that. I've asked them if they will cut it if requested, and was told their policy is to tear it. Period. That's my only complaint with them.
I love Sew Much Fun and highly recommend it! It carries almost every Moda line and specializes in bright colors. It's a really good day when I can hit both SMF and MJ's!
Old 03-01-2013, 09:27 PM

Fay, that's so touching. You've got a good one there, better keep him. I wish I could go there and see all the great & inexpensive fabric!! Sigh....

Last edited by pippi65; 03-01-2013 at 09:29 PM.