Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Quilters, which needles do you prefer to use??? >

Hand Quilters, which needles do you prefer to use???

Hand Quilters, which needles do you prefer to use???

Old 04-06-2013, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by adamae View Post
I like betweens for hand quilting, sharps for other hand stitching such as the binding. Not too particular about the brand.
I'm sorry, I didn't mention that. They are betweens. I usually use the size 10's.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by lfty298 View Post
John James, Piecemakers and Colonial have been pretty reliable for me. The only really bad ones I ever ran into were Dritz made in China. I use betweens - usually size 9, sometimes 10 if I am feeling patient enough to put up with the bending.
The smaller needles certainly help make smaller stitches, but I have never been able to use anything smaller than a 10.

Lefty
The one pack was Dritz, they were terrible. Think I will just toss them. The other pack was John James. I like the 10s, I don't think I ever tried anything smaller than that.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I use Richard Hemming brand needles; they're English. I also adore needles by Clover; in sewing supplies, the Japanese really know how to do it right!

Jan in VA
Does Clover do a between Jan? Where do you get Richard Hemming brand? and are they betweens?
Old 04-06-2013, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by mike'sgirl View Post
I usually use John James, and Bohin. I like them both and a size 8 or 9. I am not as proficient at hq as I would like to be, but will be quilting a lap for my dh, so will be getting lots of practise.
That's what I am doing, a patriot twin size throw for my husband. It sure is helping my stitches to improve!
Old 04-06-2013, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by P-BurgKay View Post
Roxanne needles, size 10, 11, or 12, hands down. They are the best IMHO
between or sharps? and where do you get them?
I am thinking I am going to get several different brands and compare. I think the needle can make a world of difference.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:55 PM

I use Clover Gold Eye betweens #12. I tried their Black Gold, but didn't like them. The seem to be thicker and I found them more difficult to needle, which is contrary to their advertisement. John James, Richard Hemmings and Roxanne's all seem to bend for me.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:38 PM

I prefer John James Betweens #11, they are perfect for me. They don't bend and it takes a very long time until they become dull and don't glide through the layers easily anymore. IMHO it's a matter of your quilting technique how much you "stress" your needle. Some quilters put a lot of pressure on it and they need really strong needles. I always try to hold my needle very laxly (is this the right word for it???).
Old 04-07-2013, 01:06 AM
Power Poster

i use sharps (i like my needle a bit longer than betweens) brands i use are John James, Roxannes or Bohn's...sometimes i do with time get a bit of a 'bow' in a needle, but i've not broke any- is your quilt sandwich slack? or are you trying to quilt with it drawn tight on a frame or hoop? some (give) is necessary.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:11 AM

I know this is contrary to the rest of the world, but I use a size 10 milliner needle and a running stitch with no frame. I like Colonial needles the best.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
i use sharps (i like my needle a bit longer than betweens) brands i use are John James, Roxannes or Bohn's...sometimes i do with time get a bit of a 'bow' in a needle, but i've not broke any- is your quilt sandwich slack? or are you trying to quilt with it drawn tight on a frame or hoop? some (give) is necessary.
It was slack enough, I am starting to think it was just me. It was late and I was tired and coming to the end, lol, just wanting to finish and get it off the frame. Plus this one was done as SID, never going to do one like that again!!!