Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm a little sad >

I'm a little sad

I'm a little sad

Old 04-11-2013, 10:39 AM

I understand what you're feeling. It IS unfortunate that not everyone appreciates a quilt for all that goes into it. However, most do and it is those to who all of the pics are posted for. Not the turd balls who are quilt policing everything. I hope you have a wonderful day!
Old 04-11-2013, 11:01 AM

Wow. Please do NOT be sad! I can't imagine anyone NOT appreciating ALL that goes into making a quilt. I think they are superb. Wonderful. Wrappings of Love. Comfort and hugs.. Heritage. Beauty.... Honor...Never let someone else put a value on what you cherish. Think how many never stop and smell the roses--they are not going to appreciate a homecooked five course meal..nor a masterquilt... or a simple patchwork of love. Look at those of us that DO get it! I LOVE QUILTS! I always have! Please do not be sad! !!!!!!! Turn that frown upside down!
Old 04-11-2013, 11:02 AM

I wish I could hit LIKE to all the above comments..Like like like... like
Old 04-11-2013, 11:18 AM

I learned to sew as a child and have always loved fabric. Quilting gives me a way and an excuse to purchase and work with fabric. I have had a lifelong weight problem and garment sewing for myself is a painful reminder. I did make some clothing for my daughter and the flower girl and junior bridesmaids dresses for her wedding. Quilting has allowed me to meet many friends who are also into fabric. It is something I can do and do well. I know that I will never get my money out of any quilted item I might sell but the hours of pleasure I had making the items is priceless.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:43 AM

I don't think any of these things - time, expense, effort are relevant unless you are an art quilter and can sell your items as "art". Other than that, most of our quilts don't have any higher significance to strangers than what they can buy at the store, as long as they match whatever room they are intended for. We think our quilts are special, and they are - to us and to those that we give them to who know that they were made especially for them (sometimes not them either). If it works in the space, some people will happily pay $100, or $1,000 - but our time and expertise is just not what is valued. I remember a sweater I referred to as my chinese slave knitter sweater - so much work, so cheap to purchase.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
We do it because we love it ! Nothing sad about that!
I agree.

For me, it is a reward for years and years of raising kids (5) where I had no time (or very little) to do something creative/fun.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I changed my view of how non quilters react to my quilts. I was given a gift by an artist friend of one her paintings. The painting was excellent but I did not like the subject of the painting at all. I appreciate the thought and effort and I know for her it was a very personal gift to give. Every time I see the painting I feel bad because I don't like it. I think of this painting when I think about giving a quilting item as a gift.
This is so true! And it is also the reason I won't start giving quilts to my family "on every occasion" just because I happen to have them already made. They will need to express that this is the one that they want. Otherwise....it is very possible it won't be appreciated/kept.

I read a long time ago in a book by Amy Daczyzn ?? spelling ?? who wrote the Tightwad Gazette that she said that the decorator items she had in her home that she disliked the MOST were things that were given to her as gifts but she felt like she needed to keep them. At that time I realized how true this is, how personal decorating is and I decided to try NOT to give decorator items for someone else unless they let me know exactly what they wanted. This includes quilts.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by meldmac View Post
I see so many talented ladies and so many gorgeous quilts on here and yet it doesn't seem that a lot of people appreciate how much work and money goes into the quilts. This includes the quilters themselves, seems that we are always undervaluing our hard work and effort. Makes me a bit sad.
I agree with you, especially the part bolded. I think that generally (there are exceptions) women undervalue their own work (look at wages men vs. women). One thing that bothers me is, when doing "show and tell" women almost always TELL the flaws. Be proud of your work and don't degrade yourself.

And I think the majority of work in the art field is under rewarded. Only the very elite and dedicated make a profit, let alone a living. And art is very hard to sell, it's got to connect with the one person to whom it speaks.

I've decided the value is what it gives me, not if anyone else appreciates my work. And I don't point out the flaws-that devalues my work.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:08 PM

Quilting has long been a dismissed artform. From early on, men tore down trees to build; women took scraps and made household items that warmed the body and the heart. Perceptions of others don't determine the worth of my artistry, my pride at the accomplishment does. I take what others dismiss or discard and create a work of (h)eart. Feel sad for those who cannot see the value of your work, but don't feel sad for your quilting. Feel pride and pleasure in the creative process that took several different pieces of fabric and made a cohesive, inspiring quilt! Let your sun shine through all you do!
Old 04-11-2013, 12:38 PM
Power Poster

That's what we are here for!! support!! Don't fret over those other people!!