Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Awkward financial situation >

Awkward financial situation

Awkward financial situation

Old 04-12-2013, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Hear, hear!!

One also might question where she buys her art, or what she considers art -- that IS what she asks for. How could she be surprised at the cost of what you've done so far???

Okay, everybody, write this on a sticky note and post it front and center in your sewing room.....

I WILL ALWAYS GET IT IN WRITING BEFORE
I START ANY PROJECT AFTER A REQUEST FROM
FAMILY, FRIENDS, COMMITTEES OR COMMISSIONS!!!
EVERY TIME!

Jan in VA
Yes!! What she said!!!!!
Old 04-12-2013, 03:48 AM

It is being longarmed as we speak. When I get it back, I will certainly post it! I'm pretty excited, and you all have made me feel much better! Love QB!
Old 04-12-2013, 05:04 AM
Power Poster

I had posted on Facebook that I was excited about getting back into quilting after many years absence. I already had a few requests within the hour. I stated they would be $350.00 up and that would be crib size baby that only covers the top of the mattress. I explained the process from start to finish. Haven't heard anything more. Not sure where this teacher works but teaches geometry and algebra. I told her that most quilters use their not so forgotten geometry and algebra lessons when they create a quilt (because it is a creation) and we do use angles to create different shapes to make them come together. Many lives are reflected through quilts and that my dear friends make the quilts "priceless".
Old 04-12-2013, 05:22 AM

It sounds as if you were also surprised about the total cost of the materials for this project. I know I would enjoy making a spectacular room ensemble that someone else has agreed to pay for. I have sewed for others for profit and that is a whole different subject. I love to sew and create beauty-just to be rewarded by beauty. That is why I get joy for giving quilts away-my reward is the creating process and the pleasure it gives to the recipient. Yes, good fabric costs quite a bit per yard and the multiplication of how many yards it takes adds up fast but you aren't making China or India mass production quality. If the friend who asked you to do this is happy with the cost enjoy her delight in the art work and find joy in your participation in bringing happiness to her.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:39 AM

I am not sure why your horrified I think your good friend should be the one who is horrified about making such a request in the first place. You said that the cost of the material was 700.00 so who pays the cost of the Long Arm quilting? You? If she is a good friend she should have willing paid you something for your time.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:13 AM

Chiming in that I also am sad that you do not value your time and skill set enough to charge for it.
I give quilts as gifts only and that way I decide what to make, who's been naughty or nice, etc., but if I were making something specific for someone, as a friend of mine does, I'd pull out a price sheet for sizes of quilts w/ simple-intermediate and complex patterns and offer to "go shopping" w/ the person to get the fabrics for one of the patterns I allowed them to choose from. I made the mistake once of letting an engaged couple go through all my mags and patterns and choose their fave...I HATED THE PATTERN...so never again.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:32 AM

Experience is the best teacher. If she is a real good friend, chalk it up as education. Education is not cheap. Charge her a minimal fee.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:43 AM

I'm so glad that you will at least be reimbursed for the fabric and hope that the experience of making it was fun for you too. Can't wait to see the finished quilt - I'm sure it's beautiful.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:04 AM

LOL, that was what I was thinking - you know that spare/guest bedroom!!!

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
This is why you always have the customer purchase the materials first, AND have something in writing about what you charge for labor.

Don't be horrified. She is buying artwork, not a blanket from WM. If you are not going to charge her anything for your work, I would at least make her aware of that fact before she decides she wants another one for the spare room!
Old 04-12-2013, 07:33 AM

The only way I make a quilt for someone else is as a gift and most of the ones I make are gifts. The only way I would make one to sale is have them buy the pattern and fabric and have an understanding up front how much I will charge for my time and labor.