Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Awkward financial situation >

Awkward financial situation

Awkward financial situation

Old 04-13-2013, 06:07 AM

Would love to see a photo as I also have this fabric and am getting ready to create something with it. Thanks, Nancy
Old 04-13-2013, 06:40 AM

I love the fabric you used. I've seen it made into a beautiful project before. My only suggestion would be if there is ever a NEXT time to make sure you get a $ amount or limitation of what the person thinks is reasonable. Don't undervalue yourself or your work. People need to be educated on the cost of fabric now and that it is not the cheapest route to have something (especially a 'work of art') handmade. Did you post pictures?
Old 04-13-2013, 06:44 AM

I have made quilts by request a couple of times; working on one right now. I only charge for the materials and I feel they are blessed to have me do it. If we charged for the hours we spent working on it, it would be much more expensive. She is lucky to have you as a friend and also as a giver. I am sure I would appreciate every stitch that went into it.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:06 AM

I would also love to see a picture of your quilt...those fabrics are gorgeous!

I do understand how you feel. I made one quilt on commission for my daughter's friend and felt guilty charging her at least $100 less than what I had into it. The appreciation of her 7 year old son was worth every penny. Now he's 11 and says he wants one when he gets married and one for each of his kids when he has them. How cute is he! I'm guessing hell probably get them too : )
Old 04-13-2013, 07:18 AM

I find that people who don't sew or quilt have no idea how much materials cost and how much work it is to make a quilt--all of which are works of art. I stopped making quilts for people who ask me to make them a quilt, and only make quilts as GIFTS for friends. When people ask me to make a quilt for them I tell them to contact a quilt store and ask if anyone there knows anyone who is willing to make a quilts for customers. Sounds hard, but this was a tough lesson to learn on my part.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:36 AM

We're all looking forward to seeing your quilt. It sounds as though your friend has no idea how much fabric and supplies cost. Just make sure all your costs are covered. If she is a good friend perhaps you don't mind not charging for your labour. If so your a good friend. But I agree this is an awkward situation. Thanks for posting this situation. It's a good reminder to us all to keep it real.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:50 AM

Before you agreed to make this quilt and accessories did you talk $$$$$ with your friend? If not then you should have. Hope this is lesson learned for you and us all. Always have a open discussion about cost of the quilt including cost of fabric and cost of labor before agreeing to make quilt for others. Also make sure the buyer agrees on the cost of quilt before making quilt. You can give a high questament of the cost of the fabric and the labor. What would you have done the lady could not afford the $700. Nice friend you are to "donate" your labor!!!
Old 04-13-2013, 08:01 AM

hi ya jingle. nice to see you posting on here. I agree with your philosophy on the quilting.

Vickey

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
One reason I would not make a quilt for someone else. I give most of my quilts away. I still get a couple of family members ask me to use specific colors in another quilt for them. That is when I decided to stop giving quilts away. I just keep them and will decide who is to get one. Will probably end up giving to some kind of charity.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:04 AM

I'm afraid I do not understand the problem. You did not say, but I am assuming that you were reimbursed for your costs and you agreed to make the quilt but did not charge for labor. What is the problem? Are you just uncomfortable with the cost of the materials?
Old 04-13-2013, 08:16 AM

I'd love to see a picture!!!!!