Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Denim Quilt? >

Denim Quilt?

Denim Quilt?

Old 04-17-2013, 02:30 AM

This actually strikes a chord with me because I started hanging onto all my "fat" jeans as I lose weight...this would be a perfect project for all of them!! I agree with those that posted about using larger sections. I am currently working on a quilt for my husband using his Army uniforms, which is a pretty heavy fabric...I made on Ohio Star block and wow...what a pain! The fabric is just so thick that the seams were very bulky. I still did it though! But, for your sanity...I would try to cut them into AT LEAST 5" squares and have at it! Good luck!!!!
Old 04-17-2013, 03:23 AM

I remember seeing a couple on this board that were awesome. Here's a couple - just search for Denim or Denim quilts to see more:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/d...lt-b10762.html
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t164935.html
Old 04-17-2013, 03:25 AM

I made a denim rag quilt a few years ago and it's wearing like iron and is very warm.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:48 AM

I am currently cutting circles for a faux cathedral window using denim. I'll keep it in my van and use it to throw down on the grass for soccer games etc.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:02 AM

A couple of things to keep in mind on denim quilts. 1. try to stay away from the knee area of the jean. This area is stretched. 2. I try not to use any denim from my stretch jeans cause of the stretch. A number of years ago I attended a class at LQS and we made a denim log cabin. One half was denim and the other side of cabin was cotton strips. It was a QAYG on flannel with ragged edges. I misplaces on of my colors so it was never finished, but not long ago I found the color I needed so now it is sitting in my to do pile.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:22 AM

Doing the ragged edges makes it ever so much simpler! I started one years ago for use on the bed in the back of our van. Thought I was going to be all smart and do the flat fell seams. What a pain! It never got beyond baby quilt size. And never even got a backing. But it was warm and durable.
Have started collecting more jeans to do another one but this one will have the ragged seams for sure.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by karenpatrick View Post
I made a denim rag quilt a few years ago and it's wearing like iron and is very warm.
If your weather doesn't get that cold then you could just do a single layer of denim and make the rag quilt that way ... without batting or backing. It wouldn't be so heavy either.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:54 AM

Looking at the denim quilts from the link has given me a few ideas. (I don't have a stash of jeans or denim for these so I won't be making them anytime soon. Feel free to use the ideas! And post pictures!!!!!)
How about a crazy quilt made out of denims? A lot of you have machines that do really fancy stitches; maybe use red or white heavy thread?
I also saw a few purses that used strips woven through some kind of netting or crochet. You could use the strips from the seams that are too thick to use for the quilt, and weave them.
Or, when cutting off the seams, if you left 1/2" on each side as you cut, you could sew the strips on canvas or something heavy (use zipper foot close to seam leaving edges loose. Then stitch next strip really close to first) and make a rug, vest, purse. When it was washed, the edges would fray.

Guess I will have to start collecting jeans!
Old 04-17-2013, 10:17 AM
Power Poster

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t202915.html http://www.straw.com/equilters/libra...gallbaros.html
Old 04-17-2013, 10:26 AM

I made a denim rag quilt(king size) for my sister. It turned out to be one heavy sucker. Cost almost as much to ship to the west coast as it did to make it