Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What are your criteria for buying fabric when on vacation? >

What are your criteria for buying fabric when on vacation?

What are your criteria for buying fabric when on vacation?

Old 04-17-2013, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

I like to buy a variety of fats that are not found around home or unique to the area...when in Alaska I found batiks with salmon, bear, moose etc. depictive of that state AND!!... Fireweed print. The other thing I look for is a great sale.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:15 AM

When it jumps off the shelf into my arms and pleads "take me home".
Old 04-17-2013, 09:32 AM

I think looking for a pattern by a local designer and buying fabric accordingly is a good idea. Now, how many stores you visit and their local designers could get that suitcase of yours really full.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

Unfortunately, I have not been on an actual vacation in a long time. That said, the last time I was on a vacation and had access to fabric I bought fabric I had not seen in my local area. When I look at that fabric, I remember the trip. If it jumps in my cart or I trip over it, if it calls to me, I buy it.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by willferg View Post
I only buy fabric on vacation if I love it, or if it somehow reminds me of the trip and is suitable as a souvenir, or if I think I can't find it elsewhere.

I follow the same three criteria
Old 04-17-2013, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by solstice3 View Post
I like to buy a variety of fats that are not found around home or unique to the area...when in Alaska I found batiks with salmon, bear, moose etc. depictive of that state AND!!... Fireweed print. The other thing I look for is a great sale.
Yes to fireweed and the native animals! I found a great little quilt shop in Skagway that even let me photograph some of their displays. Also in Kona, Hawaii where they gave a class in Hawaiian needle-turn applique.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
My criteria?
Do they have it?
Do I want it?
Can I lift it?
BUY IT!
Priceless!

Last May we were on our way back from our daughter's graduation in St. Louis, and managed to swing through Paducah. (If you check the map, you'll see this was not exactly on our homeward route!). To my chagrin, we got there 10 minutes before Hancock's was about to close. No time to shop for anything but remnants, and even that would be limited by the fact that they don't measure them until after you select them. There's nothing like a 5 minute limit to help a person decide what she does or doesn't like! My DH got into it right away. Picture big tables piled high with wonderful remnants and two people frantically digging and snatching at them. He would hold them up, "This one? - This one?" I managed to buy a total of about 7 1/2 yards of great stuff, and they had a team of people measuring them for me just before quittin' time. Hubby has a good eye for useful and pretty stuff, too. It was lots of fun, and he was probably thankful that time was short. Long shopping is hard on his knees and patience. Next time I'll plan better - find a golf course for him and arrive early!
Old 04-17-2013, 01:39 PM

If you like it, buy it ,put it on your credit card BUT pay it off in FULL when the bill comes. I've been known to mail dirty clothes home so there would be room for fabric in my suitcase.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:08 PM

If you are going to Frankenmuth check out http://canterburyvillage.com. It is in Lake Orion, Mi. Just north of Detroit. There also is a really nice quilt/fabric shop there.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:09 PM

I just had a vacation in another state (of Australia) and my purchases were greens. I went to get a FQ from my stack recently for a UFO I was working on and all my stack had been cut into. My purchases ranged from a 20 cm remnant to a 1.8 metre sale piece. I added about 14 pieces in total. I also purchased the remainder of a white on white bolt on sale - 7.8 metres - as that is something I am low on too.

I found having decided I needed greens focused my purchasing. I did the same with blues last vacation for a quilt I was planning.