Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Let's encourage each other! >

Let's encourage each other!

Let's encourage each other!

Old 04-17-2013, 06:48 PM

Hoping very much that anyone who's felt they've had a negative comment sticks around to see how supportive 99.999...% of the folks here are. I've only been here a few weeks but so far no one has laughed at me -- at least not where I can see him/her -- at the odd things I do, weird fabric I buy, etc. Everyone has been supportive and, when I've had a question, helpful without being critical.

A lot goes on here. There are people who have very costly machines and tools, people who use inexpensive machines that many dislike, and people who do everything by hand; people who can afford the best fabric, people who haunt the discount websites, and people who shop at Goodwill. As far as I can see, all of these people make great quilts -- traditional quilts, wild and crazy quilts, in between quilts ..... I love them all and want to see more of them.

Oh, yeah, and I don't care if the quilts people show here or talk about are quilted in an expert (and/or fancy) way or just SITD or shadowed by hand or tied with discount yarn here and there. I don't care if there's a pucker or a wavy bit or an "oops" bit of fabric added somewhere. I want to see the things made for fun, for art, for love .... I don't believe I've seen or heard about one project here that didn't have a smile or a thrill in it.

It is so much fun to see what can be done -- simply and not so simply; what other people thought of that I would not have thought of. I am thankful that folks here are not afraid to show their work -- whether they're professional long-armers or occasional big-stitch hand-quilters -- and that most folks are as happy to see it as I am.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by liking quilting View Post
Micha, Hope you never have to feel bad about not having top of the line anything. Your finished quilt will be every bit as beautiful as one made on another brand machine. You certainly have my full encouragement!
I feel very fortunate for what I have access to for quilting. I am not complaining for myself. And I haven't experienced anything negative on this board. Also, I am very happy for all who can afford nice machines, tools and materials . It's just that I have seen so many quilters feel discouraged who do not have access to the best or 'top of the line' whatever. Sometimes, due to the insensitivity of others, even though most often it is not purposefully intended. Or just because they 'feel' they need the best or their work won't be good enough. I just wanted to encourage those who might be feeling this way to work with what they can and have fun with it.

Micha

Last edited by Micha; 04-17-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:04 PM

For the comment about the machine: I've heard many people get into how great their machine is, be it Bernina or another brand. I've been guilty of being proud of my Bernina. I'm learning and getting humbled. I don't plan to hide in a cave until I'm perfect. Speaking for myself, I appreciate people who lovingly confront me when I've been rude. Once I understand I can correct my behaviour. We're all a work in progress. Let's be kind to each other. And when someone is rude, be as loving as possible to do the tough thing to maintain a relationship.

For the comment about critical reactions to the use of "cheating"; "cheating" is a very volatile word. Some people are immediately attacked by the word and respond in kind. You may have ment it one way, but because of other peoples personal history, they are offended. I think the most volatile thread was "killing Sun Bonnet Sue". She was very brave to even open the subject & handled herself beautifully. No matter how you feel about a subject, there will be someone who doesn't agree.

IMHO: I feel successful if I enjoy what I'm doing. Sometimes, it's a lousy quilt, but I learned a lot in the process. I think if I have to have a great quilt everytime, I'll be afraid to try something new. Being an artist, I'm always up for a challenge. That's me. My DH is an estimator; sits at plans and counts inches over and over. Would absolutely drive me nuts. We are both valuable, just different. So for some people it's about the beautiful quilt, for others it's meeting the challenge that makes us satisfied. Let's agree to disagree and find value in the differences and similarities.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:09 PM

Our grandmothers did not have the fancy machines we all seem to need these days. Our grandmothers made quilts that were true works of art as well as plenty that were just plain blankets on their treadle machines.
You are right by saying we all need to be kinder to one another in this regard.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:41 PM

I applaud you, Micha. Very well said.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:21 PM

Quilts were made as a necessity at first but made with love. I was looking a few years age at a quilt made by a mum for her11 baby as she had made quilts for each of her others. The gentleman died in his 90s I think but with his quilt still wrapped over him. The quilt had many holes and faults and you good see how mum had struggled to sew it and find fabric but it was loved and used. Keep using what you have and try different methods and techniques and patterns. From this knowledge you will slowly acquire the necessities. Go to a class and I'm sure as we did you will borrow tools from other quilters. Majority of quilters ar very generous and will share any tool idea or ven help.
I started with a pair of scissors, needle thread and old skirt oh and cardboard from breakfast cereal. I still have that project. I made many and still do make by hand. I have expensive and cheap machines each is special. If you were closer I would give you one sorry.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by TeresaS View Post
thank you for this topic. I too fell pry to the negative quilters comments. I have quilt for a year and used the word "cheat" for a question I had asked. Wow that was a horrible experience. So much so that I am VERY hesitant to post another question for help again. I will go to another board. It has ruined my experience with this board which I had used daily for tips etc. Its very sad. We have all had questions when we start and to take a question and twist it to a negative was a awful experience for me.
I understand your hesitation but I hope you don't take the reaction of some to represent the whole of QB. The people here are generally so supportive and helpful--a group unlike anywhere else I've found/seen on the internet due to the worldwide breadth and scope of the readers. We have everyone here--from all around the world and everyone from young quilters to ladies who just learned to use their computers a few years ago and know almost nothing about technology.

Since I live in a country where many people were taken back by the fact that in the 90's, I worked on the computer and produced written things (as opposed to my husband) I've learned to take a lot of flak. Just be aware that because there are so many different people here with different outlooks, there will always be someone who differs in opinions.

So, while some consider the word 'cheating' or 'cheater cloth' to be maybe inflammatory, others consider it just a word--. I probably wouldn't use the word cheating at all with reference to quilting because I don't see how one can "cheat" at a hobby. It is like "cheating" at fixing dinner in my book.

However, we probably learn more from people when we aren't all alike. If you leave and go to a board/forum where everyone says "ditto" all the time, then you probably won't actually learn as much as if you get some rubs and pokes along the way.

So, stick around...you may get the nerve to up and post again. And certainly, you get a lot of positive vibes if you post pictures. People all over the world like them!
Old 04-17-2013, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
For the comment about the machine: I've heard many people get into how great their machine is, be it Bernina or another brand. I've been guilty of being proud of my Bernina. I'm learning and getting humbled. I don't plan to hide in a cave until I'm perfect. Speaking for myself, I appreciate people who lovingly confront me when I've been rude. Once I understand I can correct my behaviour. We're all a work in progress. Let's be kind to each other. And when someone is rude, be as loving as possible to do the tough thing to maintain a relationship.

For the comment about critical reactions to the use of "cheating"; "cheating" is a very volatile word. Some people are immediately attacked by the word and respond in kind. You may have ment it one way, but because of other peoples personal history, they are offended. I think the most volatile thread was "killing Sun Bonnet Sue". She was very brave to even open the subject & handled herself beautifully. No matter how you feel about a subject, there will be someone who doesn't agree.

IMHO: I feel successful if I enjoy what I'm doing. Sometimes, it's a lousy quilt, but I learned a lot in the process. I think if I have to have a great quilt everytime, I'll be afraid to try something new. Being an artist, I'm always up for a challenge. That's me. My DH is an estimator; sits at plans and counts inches over and over. Would absolutely drive me nuts. We are both valuable, just different. So for some people it's about the beautiful quilt, for others it's meeting the challenge that makes us satisfied. Let's agree to disagree and find value in the differences and similarities.
I agree...that is what happened to me. So for newbies..be very careful what questions you ask. Who knew cheating is a volatile word. I sure did not mean for it to be that way. Several people have messaged me and stated that the comments from a certain few people were uncalled for and that they misunderstood. My question is this, why go negative? Lets be positive.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:56 PM

Well said.....it's great when you are able to buy those machines that do have a lot of things that make it easier on you.
But when you ain't you ain't.....I do everything on my 20 year old pfaff and I love it.
Buying expensive equipment doesn't mean you're a better quilter.
That saying I love the new bernina 750QE my quilting buddy bought.
She was all enthousiastic and telling me a lot about it
Then at once she stopped, looked at me and said: "Oh...I should stop talking so much about it, I know you can't affort one".
I told her to please go on, as I'm very happy for her and I want her to tell about it.......but really, I don't mind I can buy one
Old 04-18-2013, 01:02 AM

TeresaS, Thank you for expressing your displeasure in regards to a bad experience on this board. It certainly behooves me to be cautious in my correspondence here. Hopefully, you will have more positive results than negative in the future.