Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
OK, Quilt Guilds, Shouldn't you encourage those who show n Tell??? >

OK, Quilt Guilds, Shouldn't you encourage those who show n Tell???

OK, Quilt Guilds, Shouldn't you encourage those who show n Tell???

Old 06-29-2009, 06:56 PM

OK some don't get any clapping and some older women have just quit bringing their stuff altogether, I see why I'm new I mean what's the use??? Then again I believe we could conjure up a round of applause and maybe these poor women wouldn't ve Quit Showing or Quit the Guild or Like me I'm Thinking of Punching holes in tin cans for a Hobby but what do I know??? Any Thoughts??? :twisted:
Old 06-29-2009, 07:00 PM
Power Poster

Let me guess , a bad night with the quilt police ? Everyone should get some recognization for doing their best, not just apprecriating the cream of the crop. Everyone had to start at one time and they probably weren't perfect with their first project either. Maybe they forgot what it was like to be a beginner ? Sorry this happened.
Sharon
Old 06-29-2009, 07:18 PM

I go to my guild meeting every month but never bring anything for show and tell. They only pay attention to the quilts made by certain group and the rest don't get much of anything. The members that attend classes all the time are the ones that are considered real members. We are having our show this fall and even though I have 13 quilts entered, this year I will not help with the set up for similar reasons. Last time my whole family was there helping set up and take down and when my son stopped for one second and he was asked to leave if he couldn't keep up. I know they are responsible for a lot of quilts but he was no where near them and they know he is my son. He is more careful with them then most of the makers. Also, while he was helping the guild president told him to come to a meeting to talk to the ladies about his upcoming trip to Australia and our fundraising efforts. The day of the meeting she decided that she couldn't allow him to fundraise there, because then everyone else would do it to. She took advantage of him to make him work on the show.

Sorry, I started answering you and ended with my own rant. I will step from the soap box now.

Maria
Old 06-29-2009, 07:23 PM

I try to take everything I make...big or small for show & tell....everyone appreciates the sharing. And that's what a guild should be about the sharing....it's not a juried show. Sorry you haven't found that with your guild.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:24 PM

ohhh, no applause for some of the quilters? That's just wrong. :evil: ALL should be recognized and appreciated, even if a "cheater" panel follows an heirloom quilt in the show-n-tell line. Everyone started somewhere. When I was a brand new member I was seriously intimidated, because it seemed like the only quilts 'shown' were awesome ones. It was really hard to stand up with my beginner effort, wonky edges and all, but I thought there might be someone just like me in the audience who was intimidated about showing their own beginner work and I might make them feel better about their own effort. I scold friends who only will display their "perfect" works, because newbies need to know that the end results ARE obtainable with practice, and a less than perfect quilt reminds us all that we're just human.
My Guild is really awesome because every effort is applauded...and I'm sorry the one you went to wasn't as nice. Sometimes all it takes is one person to clap and the rest join in, and perhaps you can get them on track so no one gets left out.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:30 PM

Well ladies guess most quilt quilds are the same........ sorry to say that but it the truth. I am the head of our guild and try to encourage everyone...... and getting some to take part is very hard... Remember those the need to pat themselves on the pack don't always do the best work....Yes we all have to start somewhere and I am sure if you post your projects here in pictures you will find that everyone will share their comments of encourements..... we all need that.
Encouragement is everything........... Just remember if you like it thats all that counts.
Happy quillting and keep up all that good work
Scrap Quilter

PS and if you are in need of help this is the place to ask all your questions everyone is very will to help
Old 06-29-2009, 07:40 PM
Banned

i've found that certain guilds favor certain work and those get the attention.

i've been in my guild for a very long time and in the beginning it was older ladies meeting at 10am on a tuesday and if you didn't do everything by hand you weren't a quilter.

now things have changed and its more of an artist community and no one really makes quilts that are meant to be bedding.

my point is don't quit the guild work to change it.

go more, get involved, be vocal and this way you'll turn it into the kind of place you think it should be.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:10 AM

In my guild, you don't get a round of applause, but you do get a round of very appreciateive "oooh" and "ahhhh" when you show something at Show & Tell. Someone always says "I love the fabrics" or "I love the colours," and generally you get a question about the pattern or the block or something.

I guess I'm lucky I have a good guild.

Jan
Old 06-30-2009, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by ai731
In my guild, you don't get a round of applause, but you do get a round of very appreciateive "oooh" and "ahhhh" when you show something at Show & Tell. Someone always says "I love the fabrics" or "I love the colours," and generally you get a question about the pattern or the block or something.

I guess I'm lucky I have a good guild.

Jan
we do very little clapping at our guild but do a lot of ohhhs and ahhhs. we have an 80 year old member who makes a full size quilt every month for someone and her work is gorgeious but so is the place mat someone does for her kids.....
Old 06-30-2009, 05:19 AM

I was also intimidated by the other quilts shown in our guild. But a friend oohed and ahhed over a panel that I had hand quilted and she just insisted that I show it. And I did get a nice round of applause. We also have a person who photographs each show & tell at each meeting and then places them in a scrapbook. She always makes 2 copies so if you want, you can take your picture home. However, she didn't take a picture of mine -- while that really upset me at the time, I just considered the "source". I honestly think she just missed taking the picture....(well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!!) So now, I take what I want and if someone doesn't think it's good enough -- well, that's just too bad!!