Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Denim Quilt? >

Denim Quilt?

Denim Quilt?

Old 04-18-2013, 04:29 AM

I am currently preparing to make two denim quilts for grandsons. Because of the weight, I have been collecting very light weight jeans and cutting them apart(to qualify, must be cotton with no stretch)...will use woven plaid shirting with the "blues". Using strip quilting pattern.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:57 AM

I made my first denim quilt years ago with squares of denim from old jeans and skirts for the front and use flannel squares for the back, sewed together with rag edges. you put the two squares together, sew an X in the middle, or a heart or whatever turns your crank, sew together in rows with half " seam allowances. Sew rows together and when you have it big enough, start cutting those seam allowances for ragging. That is the hard part, but worth it. If you use old jeans, you can get many color variations and it makes for a very interesting quilt.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:58 AM

Don't make it too big, your washing machine will not be happy. When they are wet they are VERY heavy and your machine may not wring out the water... !
Old 04-18-2013, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

anything is possible. I would go wit either a rag or a crazy quilt
Old 04-18-2013, 05:08 AM

I do the rag quilting for demin /old jeans and no batting, to heavy there's no quilting needed when finished.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:17 AM

I have made numerous jean quilts. They are great. Most went to me grandsons. I even embroidered on them. They were all the rag quilts. Real easy to make. I did use a thin batting and flannel. Keeps them nice and warm and indestructible. Lol
Old 04-18-2013, 05:22 AM

I have made several denim quilts. They are heavy and very durable. I have made them using a pattern and just scrappy. This is a great way to use up old jeans. Have fun and good luck!
Old 04-18-2013, 05:27 AM

I made one a number of years ago for my grandson. I cut 5 inch squares and sewed them together to make a rag quilt. I embroidered different sports themes on a few of them. You don't put batting. It is heavy enough without it.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:31 AM

Thanks for the links
Old 04-18-2013, 05:36 AM

The ladies from my church made several jean quilts to give to MCC for them to pass out anywhere needed around the world. We asked a local thrift shop to save any jeans they got donated to them that weren't sellable. They gave us huge garbage bags full of them! (We finally had to tell them ENOUGH!) We had several nights where we cut them up. Some "deconstructed" the jeans. They passed them to the marking group, who marked them using 5" square cardboard templates. The next group cut the fabric into squares. Later about 6 of us got together for a sewing day. We had 2 sewing machines going. Two people at each machine, one sewing and one handing pieces to her. Then we had one on the iron and one runner. When sewing the long strips of blocks together we offset the seams by 1/2 block so we did not have to line everything up as we sewed and eliminated some of the bulk at the seams. We found it worked best to use a thin batting to help absorb the seams. We did not try quilting them. Had an evening when we got together and tied them. We made them twin size and they were pretty heavy. Hopefully they are now keeping someone in a faraway land toasty warm on a cold night.