Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Inkjet printers >

Inkjet printers

Inkjet printers

Old 04-18-2013, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by denveremerson View Post
How does one know if their ink jet printer will wash out? I just made a label for a quilt, then washed it before gifting it, and the ink washed out of the label. It was an Epson Stylus Photo printer.
After I printed off my label, I IRONED it, ran it under the faucet and it did not fade or run. I have an old HP 7090 photosmart Inkjet printer. Good Luck.

Last edited by sharin'Sharon; 04-18-2013 at 08:18 AM. Reason: describe printer
Old 04-18-2013, 08:28 AM

We have had an HP which was very simple and took fabric very well. When it died we got a Canon printer/scanner/copier and really liked it. The best thing about Canon is that you can call them on the phone and get a human being right away.They are highly trained tech support out of Virgina, USA, so no problem communicating. Don't mean to be unkind to those in foreign call centers, but these guys are really good. As for ink, we buy ours online and got it much cheaper than buying the name brand. I don't know if there is a difference. One tip - when you print out, be sure to "set" the ink when it is dry by pressing with a hot iron.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:34 AM

I use an HP printer and it works very well and copies photos from the internet or scan disc. It has the function to copy economically which uses less ink. Also I only use color where I really want it.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
The cost of the printer doesn't matter as much as the cost of the ink cartridges. I bought a Kodak printer because the ink is cheaper, but it keeps going up in price. It prints okay, scans and copies fast. I won't buy it again though because if the color ink is low and the black ink is full it won't print until I change the color ink. And I noticed the ink cartridges don't print as many pages as it claims, a lot less. If you are using it just for fabric then it would be fine. I'm keeping it just for that.
I have a Kodak One in All and I get my cartridges from Clickinks.com. Remanufactured and VERY affordable. Which reminds me - I need to reorder. ClickInks is also our go to place for our office printers.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:36 AM

Try SimplyInk.com. Their prices are great and I have had no trouble with the cartridges on my Brother MFC885CW. The cartridges are not OEM, but the guarantee that they will work as well as the original. Just make sure you read the review for any problems that others have had. Some printers work better with aftermarket items than others. Happy Printing.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:53 AM

I have an Epson printer that came with my Mac. The colors are good and the cartridges come in individual cartridges, unlike some brands where you have to replace the entire color cartridge if one color runs out.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:22 AM

ghostrider is "right on"....It is the ink that is important here and for fabric, pigment based ink is the only one you want. The name of the printer does not matter. I do a lot of work with ink on fabric and I use EPSON and their pigment inks. One other thing to keep in mind....If you use vellum templates for quilting or embroidery machine work, be sure you get a printer that does TRANSPERANCIES!! Some printers do not have this capability. I just found out this week that my Epson 3-in-1, DOES NOT do this and it was devastating to a project I was working on. Will have to get another printer for digitizing and printing out templates. Do some research on this because it is important. Love Epson products for durability and print quality. Puts my HP to shame.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:37 PM

My printer is EPSON...Epson is the best ink jet Printer for printing the photos. when I was in Bangkok, Thailand I did the Photo sticker Machine Business in 10 years before I moved to Chicago. The first time, I used many printer, but they gave me the out put pictures were not beautiful as same as Epson printer did. If your in put(pictures or any kind of projects that you want to print from your computer) is the high resolution, but your printer that you are using is not the right one you will get the low out put quality.....If you saw my quilt which I posted on QB a couple days ago You will see what I'm trying to explain....This is my "Born Under a Bad Side Quilt".....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Villain04.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	408798   Click image for larger version

Name:	Villain05.JPG
Views:	444
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	408799  

Last edited by lotus63000; 04-18-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:42 PM
Power Poster

The best InkJet printer I have ever used is a HP. Mine is now 8 years old, gets used a lot and only paid $24.99 for it. I have made several memory quilts with it also and the quality has been real good.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]408808[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]408809[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Saby's quilt 8.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	408807   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pasco's quilt 3.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	408808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Saby's quilt 7.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	408809  

Last edited by twinkie; 04-18-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:40 PM

I have an HP all-in-one that I bought on a Black Friday sale several years ago. I am pleased with quality of most of what I print. When I've don fabric printing, I rinsed in cold water and then set with my iron. They have held up well.

I take my ink cartridges to Costco for refill - $9.99 for the large sized XL cartridges but sometime there are $2 off coupons in the coupon books.