Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Elmer's glue basting - stiff as board >

Elmer's glue basting - stiff as board

Elmer's glue basting - stiff as board

Old 04-21-2013, 05:45 AM

I've not tried it yet but everything I've read or seen says you should press it after you put the glue on. Did you do this?
Old 04-21-2013, 05:57 AM

I use a glue stick and it does not leave mine stiff. I really like it. Hope this helps
Old 04-21-2013, 06:24 AM

I do not thin the glue...I'm just too lazy. I just dot every 3-4 inches like I used to pin baste. It holds well. I only iron if I want to quilt it right away so it will dry faster. It is stiff where the glue is but I have had no problem sewing through it.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by matraina View Post
I've not tried it yet but everything I've read or seen says you should press it after you put the glue on. Did you do this?
The pressing is only to dry the glue immediately. Leaving it to dry overnight works fine.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:17 AM

well....I'm going to keep trying some different techniques as suggested and try sister's tutorial. I prefer not to have the chemical 'additives' esp. if doing child quilt - but boy that 505 type spray is easy!
This will keep me occupied until I get my thread order and can get quilting!
thanks
Old 04-21-2013, 07:29 AM

Don't open the tip all the way. Comes out in a thinner stream.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:44 AM

I have seen "special thin tips" on other brands of glue, does anyone know where to get one of these???? I just tried the Elmers washable school glue on a small table topper and was very pleased with the results, but would like to have one of the thin tips to attach to the bottle. Thanks!
Old 04-21-2013, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by heberstitcher View Post
I have seen "special thin tips" on other brands of glue, does anyone know where to get one of these???? I just tried the Elmers washable school glue on a small table topper and was very pleased with the results, but would like to have one of the thin tips to attach to the bottle. Thanks!
I found a set through Amazon and actually sold by Supermart on their site. It's Lowe Cornell 724, bottles and tips. There are two plastic bottles with caps and 4 metal tips, cost was about $7. You might find them at an art supply store also.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:22 AM

You did use too much glue, 3 inches apart isn't needed, unlike basting. Thin it a little, if you can hold bottle up high (the higher, the thinner the lines, LOL I am short but I think I'm going to stand on a chair), before smoothing fabric, smooth out any blobs, press with dry iron, I have a balcony so I hang it up til the next day to make sure it is dry (but that probably isn't necessary, just me). And Don't give up.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:27 AM

I used a kitchen spatula to kind of smooth it out. I just did a tablerunner (my first project free motion quilted and first glued project) and it worked really well. I'd done it once with binding and was happy with it, too. When my bottle is half empty, I'll add water.