Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paducah 2013 - first time need advice >

Paducah 2013 - first time need advice

Paducah 2013 - first time need advice

Old 04-20-2013, 04:25 PM

I have never been, but do you have a smart phone? Use your audio record app or your notepad or reminder list app to take notes. Vendors you want to return to and why, reasons why you're keeping a flyer, business card etc. you think you'll remember things, but you're taking in an enormous amount of info and our short term memories can only retain so much during a given amount of time. Have an awesome experience and a great memory for you and your mom! I hope I can go sometime. Too much going on at school and not in the budget any time soon.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:06 PM
Power Poster

Some of the vendors are real aggressive about no pictures, or note taking in their booth. Don't take a picture of their booth number. They think you are taking pictures of their samples. You can take pictures of all the quilts in the quilt show but it's best to buy the Show book with every quilt in it. The books are $20 and worth it. You will find them at the front of the show at the AQS booth. Then just take close up pics of the ones that the detail take your breath away. By a raffle ticket from the Yo Yo Ladies of Paducah, they are usually in the Museum. Also the Roatary Club has a themed quilt exhibit with vendors. The Hancock Yearly Challenge is usually at Finkels Book Sale Warehouse. There is so much to see and do one day will not be enough so I hope you have at least 2 days. The mall has lots of vendors and I found them to have cheaper prices then the vendors at the quilt show. I don't buy fabric there, I can get the same fabric online. The quilt kits at Hancocks sell out fast, they are in the back room. Walk in Hancocks and turn right and keep going right. You will see double doors. I love Eleanor Burns barn and tent sale. Don't miss her free tent show. The shuttle buses are fun but take a lot of time because they stop at all hotels/motels on their route. You can walk to downtown from the quilt show and museum. Take a water bottle with you and refill at the water fountains.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:58 AM

Great advice. Does anyone know about the book referenced above? Is that the same book that I get with my multiway pass or something else?
Old 04-21-2013, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

You get a show book of the vendors and layout. There are discount coupons and usually entries for give aways in that book.
The book with every quilt entry in full color is different. It is worth it. By the time you take a picture of all the quilts you like you will then have to do something with them or leave them on your camera or computer. The book is like a picture album already made for you.

Last edited by BellaBoo; 04-21-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:44 AM

Thanks sweetana3 for the info about the E.Burns coupon. My friends & I printed one each & also got our reserved seats for the tent show. That's always a hoot!! This will be our 4th time attending the show. Love every minute of the AQS show, shopping, walking around the city seeing quilts in many store windows, coming across surprise fabric shops in town, fabulous quilts, & more shopping. Leaving tomorrow & shop hopping our way acros VA, TN, & KY. Can't wait!
Old 04-21-2013, 09:03 AM

All good information - but I have to admit, I enjoy looking at the quilts in the museum and convention center, unbelievable work. Yes, there is good info here even for my second trip.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

From what I understand the reserved seats for the Eleanor's tens show is for the 1st 5 rows. The other seats are free. I read on another board the first 5 rows will get to sample some of the recipes from her new book. The tents will hold up to 100 people so no worry about getting in, it's always open air tent so easy to see Eleanor even just walking by. After the tent show she is in her barn signing books and taking pictures for hours, every day. The lady is a Gem!
Old 04-21-2013, 10:06 AM

DD just told me that the city has put in a floor in the Eleanor Burns "livestock" area - where she has hundreds/thousands of bolts for sale. Before, they had a dirt/rock floor. She had tables available where you could set your bolts on while you were still looking or waiting in line - they had signs up that said to put a rock on top of your pile of bolts and that meant that nobody else could take your bolts away from you. Thought that was very unique. So, don't know what you will be able to use to "hold" your pile of bolts. I might try to remember to bring some post it notes that says "reserved" on them and stick them on the top of my piles.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:14 AM

I went last year and had a blast. Hands down for me was Hancocks of Paduach and buying from the back although my friend and I also went across the street to the quilt show and bought there as well. I came back with my vehicle plum full of fabric and happy I made the trip.

Of course the quilt show was awesome and we went back three days in a row. Way to much to see in just a few hours or even a day.

I also visited the Babylock booth which is the main reason I went there to get the Evolution Serger and left there having purchased it and the Babylock Embellisher which saved me half what these cost retail. I had gone to a retail store in our area and she wanted $300 more than what is should sell for retail $4600 is what she wanted. I left Paduach with both machines for $2300, plus free shipping, plus all the feet for the serger. That was a substantial savings. I guess what they say about paying cash for such things stands true. You can pretty much name your own deal.

We also enjoyed visiting other local things such as sitting in the park for about an hour listening to jazz music as well as going to various eateries and experiencing foods we can't get around here where we live.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:35 AM

The dogwood trees are at peak bloom and the lighted Dogwood Trail is a wonderful. If you have the time one evening, there's maps available and the trail is marked through town. Here's an article I wrote about it several years ago: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1049/