Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Elmer's glue basting - stiff as board >

Elmer's glue basting - stiff as board

Elmer's glue basting - stiff as board

Old 04-22-2013, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by llong0233 View Post
Did I mention that I would thin the glue with water and put it in the spray bottle? That is what I mean by thinning. Okay, has anyone tried this yet?
There is no reason the glue has to be over the whole surface. The thinner it is the longer it takes to dry. Thin lines of glue don't have to be very close together to hold the quilt firmly together.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
I had this problem with the elmers glue. I washed the project and all the glue washed out and I went back to my 505 spray. But I am going o try again.
I love my 505 and wouldn't trade it. I did try other brands but didn't like the gummy texture and wasn't pleased at all. I've never tried the glue but think I'll stick with 505...just like anything, don't use too much and saturate the cloth.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
I did a sample using leftover blocks, batting and backing from the quilt I am going to do next. I followed the instructions on the Board, using fresh Elmer's School glue, did the wavy S curves about 3" apart, criss crossed into a grid. Smooshed, smoothed and dried overnight. The fabric where glued is stiff as a board and hard as a rock.

I didn't thin it because I didn't want it to soak through the cloth to the outside of the sandwich. Instead I think it smooshed into the Quilters Dream Request-weight poly.

Do you all thin it?

My next act is to try quilting it, if possible. I have samples with Dritz and samples with JT adhesive sprays. Both are nice and soft. then I am going to wash them all and see if they come out soft, gummy, or stiff.

Appreciate your comments - thanks!

SueSew, the very same thing happened to me. I followed the directions on QB, step by step. Fortunately I used it on a wall hanging and was able to quilt it on the sewing machine. I think if I try it again I will dilute it. Somewhere I read a formula for that. I think it was 3:1 (glue:water). I also think that after I drizzle it on I'll spread it with a paintbrush. Wonder how that will work.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:45 AM

You can thin it a lot more than that. Start with one part glue, one part water.
I've done about one part glue with two or three parts water and it held beautifully.
I go by the consistency of whole milk.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:06 PM

I glued a quilt batt to the backing yesterday and let it dry overnight. This morning I put the top on it and started to glue that. Then I found that the back and batt were not sticking together. I had already put on the top at this point, so I used the iron to heat set the glue for the top, and I'm going to have to roll the top and batt off the back and re-glue; or I can put some basting pins in. I have those, and it might be easier now than rolling everything up.

I had my glue thinned 50-50. But I was using a thin batt with a smooth surface. Maybe the glue doesn't hold on the scrim of some batts. I have no idea what brand of batt it is, because I got it from "somewhere?". The top seems to be sticking now. I did another quilt with a fuzzy batt last week with the glue, and it worked just fine.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
I glued a quilt batt to the backing yesterday and let it dry overnight. This morning I put the top on it and started to glue that. Then I found that the back and batt were not sticking together. I had already put on the top at this point, so I used the iron to heat set the glue for the top, and I'm going to have to roll the top and batt off the back and re-glue; or I can put some basting pins in. I have those, and it might be easier now than rolling everything up.

I had my glue thinned 50-50. But I was using a thin batt with a smooth surface. Maybe the glue doesn't hold on the scrim of some batts. I have no idea what brand of batt it is, because I got it from "somewhere?". The top seems to be sticking now. I did another quilt with a fuzzy batt last week with the glue, and it worked just fine.
I've noticed that also. For me it didn't work well with a non-fusible fleece. It peeled right off.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:06 PM

I had have also posted a tutorial here about using the Elmer's Washable School Glue, I didn't buy any special bottles or application tips. I did not like how poly batting worked, but it did adhere. I use the squiggly line method and I have found that by adding 1 part water to 9 parts glue - it squeezed out better. I had no trouble FMQ on my Husky 830 and everything washed out in warm water. I have tried the home made spray glue using flour, water, salt and rubbing alcohol and it worked like a charm Good luck with which ever method you chose.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:37 PM

I recently used Elmer's School washable glue to hold the binding on those chicken placemats I made. I did find some hard spots as I sewed the binding in place but not enough to make me regret using the glue. What a difference from all those pins that stick you! The hard spots were from me using too much glue, I think, so it was basically my fault. Haven't used glue to baste a quilt together but I probably will at some point. May thin it a bit.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:38 PM

I have only used Elmer's washable school glue for binding and have never been disappointed.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:45 PM

Default Thinning and Spraying

I tried the thinning (also adding a couple of drops of liquid dw soap) and it did not do well in the cheapy spray bottle I had. So used the thinned glue and applied with a foam brush. Worked really well!!! Am still going to look for a better spray bottle to try again!