Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Inkjet printers >

Inkjet printers

Inkjet printers

Old 04-18-2013, 06:00 PM

I have a question. How do you print on fabric? Is it special fabric, or any fabric? How o you get fabric to go through the Printer?
Old 04-18-2013, 11:30 PM

I purchased an inexpensive Kodak printer from Wal Mart just to do the printing for fab. sheets etc. for my quilts. Why? because I messed up the print heads on my good Kodak combo printer trying to print fab. sheets for my childrens memory quilts. I tried several different types of fab. sheets and also purchased the expensive Printed Treasures online, but these would not work in my printer, these were the sheets that messed up my print heads. I found that the June Tailor sheets worked best for me. I would highly recommend that you only put one fab. sheet in the printer at a time, I found that this worked best for me, a little time consuming, but when I loaded several sheets at once to print, I ran into problems each time. I have been well satisfied with the Kodak printer, and I only paid $70.00 for it last summer.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by yorkie luv View Post
I have a question. How do you print on fabric? Is it special fabric, or any fabric? How o you get fabric to go through the Printer?
You can use freezer paper attached to your fab. or purchase the fabric sheets that is designed especially for computer printers, and you just use the picture you want or the text you want from the computer, and make a copy, using the fab. sheets in your printer. Works great. Be sure to follow the directions on the fab. sheets. I purchase mine from Wal Mart, Hancock or Hobby Lobby, and as I stated before I personally prefer the June tailor, they work best for me. Be sure you purchase the fab. sheets that say they are washable, and can be used in a inkjet printer, some are iron on only.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:00 AM

I treat my own fabric with Bubble Jet Set and Bubble Jet Rinse and it has worked fine and held up well. I use a very tight weave cotton that I purchased at a quilt store that they sell to print photos etc. It is sold from a bolt by the yard and much softer than the ready made sheets of fabric you get for printers. After it is treated I iron it on freezer paper to go through the printer. The solution is a bit pricy but I treat the fabric and then only use what I need at the time and keep the rest for future projects. The solutions will treat yards and yards of fabric this way.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:19 AM

It is my understanding that the less expensive inkjet printers ink cost more and need replacing more frequently. Do your homework and get a good one. Mine is cheap Canon and next time, I will get something much better.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:03 PM

I have read on some packaged fabrics that NON photo ink is best on fabrics. I have had problems with photo ink bleeding and blurring...