Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Denim Quilt? >

Denim Quilt?

Denim Quilt?

Old 04-19-2013, 10:58 AM

I made 4 denim quilts with the blocks 5X7 arranged in a brick pattern. I even used the pockets so my grandchildren could use them to run little cars into them. Because it is so heavy I used twin sheets for the backing so they could be tossed on the grass for a picnic without having a lot of grass and weeds sticking to the back. If you use flannel or corduroy on the back they will pick up a lot of grass and other things. My kids like to take them camping.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:15 PM

I made a denim quilt. I also used some thick drapery fabric with it for accent. I found that using bigger square or rectangles made it easier to both cut and sew. Electric scissors do a great job of cutting the fabric; you'll wear your arm out trying to hand-cut or rotary cut these thick fabrics. I used a larger seam: 0.5 inch, and found that easier to sew with. Then I pressed my seams open so they wouldn't be so thick. I also used a thin batting, which padded the seams and made them significantly less obvious. And I put cotton on the back, so it wouldn't be so heavy. I was able to give it a light FMQ by using a needle meant for leather. Basically, I stitched down the seams (outlined each patch) and left it at that. My nephew snitched it to use when he went to college in the upper peninsula of Michigan, and kept it for graduate school in Wyoming, and now won't give it back. Lol! Not that I mind. He says it's the warmest, most comfortable piece of bedding he owns, and almost indestructible! He even takes it camping with him.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpeg
Views:	359
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	408976  
Old 04-19-2013, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by MacThayer View Post
I made a denim quilt. I also used some thick drapery fabric with it for accent. I found that using bigger square or rectangles made it easier to both cut and sew. Electric scissors do a great job of cutting the fabric; you'll wear your arm out trying to hand-cut or rotary cut these thick fabrics. I used a larger seam: 0.5 inch, and found that easier to sew with. Then I pressed my seams open so they wouldn't be so thick. I also used a thin batting, which padded the seams and made them significantly less obvious. And I put cotton on the back, so it wouldn't be so heavy. I was able to give it a light FMQ by using a needle meant for leather. Basically, I stitched down the seams (outlined each patch) and left it at that. My nephew snitched it to use when he went to college in the upper peninsula of Michigan, and kept it for graduate school in Wyoming, and now won't give it back. Lol! Not that I mind. He says it's the warmest, most comfortable piece of bedding he owns, and almost indestructible! He even takes it camping with him.
Just for clarification, this is NOT my quilt. It's a photo I found of the types of rectangles I used, plus mine has a bit of drapery fabric.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:01 PM

I made a rag denim quilt using flannel for backing. I cut the squares 6" denim and flannel. Wrong sides together (pretty side out) Sewed an X for the quilting.
It is heavy but warm
Old 04-24-2013, 04:45 PM
Red

When I make a denim quilt from jeans I always put some of the pocket pieces in it...It started out as a joke for my daughter. She wanted a place for "cookies " when she was little!! I used flannel or a sheet for the backing. Also I to use a 1/2 inch seam and tie them.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:13 PM

like the gals said: it will lhold up a long time. remember that flannel does not last as well as a broadcloth.
i've used some crazy prints on my denium backs: cactus & coyotes-for a neice inAZ, bright and bold prints are fun. if you use a plaid with it....try to find a pantweight. keep your fabrics the same weight, so they will wear the same and be warm in all parts of the quilt., i found that homespun is too thin to use with broadcloth. it also lets the batting thru.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:21 PM

I just posted a picture of a denim & bandana quit called Bandanas & blue jeans. I debated on quilting it too. One person recommended that I quilt it with a denim needle. I cannot find my post now so I am doing something wrong
Old 04-24-2013, 07:35 PM

The name of my quilt was Bandana's & Roses. I posted it yesterday
Old 04-24-2013, 10:48 PM

I've seen a faux cathedral window it was very heavy
Old 05-09-2013, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by RGAY View Post
An added benefit of the ragged edges is each block is quilted as you go, so you don't have to tie it when fully assembled. Just one thought - will those ragged edges be sticky little fingers for the dog hair???
Honestly, I don't think there's anything in my house that doesn't have some dog hair on it....