Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Most frustrating quilting notion! >

Most frustrating quilting notion!

Most frustrating quilting notion!

Old 05-07-2013, 02:27 PM

I have a little tiny seam ripper with a red "handle" and a cap that goes on the back end when in use, and makes the seam ripper longer. It also has bumps on it which prevent it from rolling off the table. I've always had one like that, sometimes they disappear, and reappear after I've bought a replacement.

Most frustrating for me are the rulers that move when I'm trying to cut. (Yes, I know how to fix it, but haven't yet) And the cutter blades from Harbor Freight that work worse than a worn out blade from a well known sewing brand.

I've also found the so-called ergonomic cutters very frustrating. I work best with my original cutter. And on this board, I've learned they're made right handed and left handed, while I'm ambidexterous, so it wouldn't work well for me anyway.

Last edited by charsuewilson; 05-07-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by frustratedquilter40 View Post
I own 2 of the fons and porter seam ripper some bought me one and I had misplaced mine then it showed up. Same complaints as you. It would be my tool that frustrates me the most vote .
I also own one and while I like the feel of the runner handle it does roll away and the point is too thick.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by maminstl View Post
My first mistake was the lighted, magnified ripper - sounded like a great idea - very awkward to actually use. A tiny little ripper, a bright light and some reading glasses are much better.
This is my big mistake too!!
Old 05-07-2013, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by MacThayer View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]412244[/ATTACH]I have a Gingher seam ripper, and I absolutely love it. It has a curved body that fits nicely in my hand. The "ripping tip" is like a razor blade, so it cuts everything and gets between anything. Plus I can retract this blade into the body for safety. I've been a seamstress for 40 years, and now I'm a quilter. This is absolutely the best seam ripper I have ever used. Hopefully I've uploaded a photo to show you. They say you only need the original blade, because it never gets dull. I'm still ripping away on my original blade (two years now) and it's still plenty sharp. But if you get the chance to buy one with an extra blade, do it. I now have a refill, but it was hard to find.
I too have the Ginger seam ripper .. love it ! It feels wonderful in my hand and is sharp! I used a coupon at JoAnns for mine,
Old 05-07-2013, 03:09 PM

Wrap a rubber band around the handle. It will stop it from rolling around.

I bought Alex Anderson's 4-in-1 tool and LOVE it. It's a seam ripper, seam presser, stiletto, and point turner all in one, and the handle is large for grasping and SQUARE.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

Do most quilter only have one seam ripper? My goodness I can count three sticking up out of a cup on my ironing table, several in my handsewing basket, one or two at my machine. No telling how many in my sewing notion totes. I rarely walk out of a quilt dept. without buying a seam ripper.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:08 PM

I took two velcro "dots" and put one on the ripper and one on the side of my machine. When not is not in use it just sits there, where I put it......My ripper is round also, seem they are easier to hang on to,
Old 05-07-2013, 04:17 PM

My most annoying tool a needle threader. One day I might thread a needle as yet never has.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:19 PM

my most frustrating quilting notion! Had to be a blade sharpener, it never did work right, or maybe that needle threader that everyone told me to get, it was sooooo great, ya, right, it never did thread a needle no mater how careful I was about putting the needle in or what type of thread I used, So now I just get my DGD to thread me a bunch of needles when I need them. LOL
Old 05-07-2013, 05:31 PM

The tool I regret buying was a binding tool. I do better without it!

As for seam rippers: I love the SeamFix one. The blade itself is smaller than most seam rippers. It is bright colored so I can find it easily. Large enough to fit in my hand. A rubber band works to keep it from rolling.