Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Contemplating a New Machine >

Contemplating a New Machine

Contemplating a New Machine

Old 05-25-2013, 07:18 AM

(ontheriver, could you tell me a little more about having you machine on a frame for quilting? I have thought of this, but would like to more about it.)

I am so glad to see all the info you quilters share about your machines! I too am considering a new machine in the future, & really like hearing personal choices and advice from your experiences.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:45 AM

quiltingnewbie - If you don't want embroidery, check out the Brother Melody. It comes with everything for quilting and regular sewing. It's on sale for just under 1K for Memorial Day. It has an automatic threader (love it!), cutter, needle up/down, 1/4" accessories, and tons of decorative stitches.

You could also go to the dealer and get a used machine in your price range. Often they are traded in to buy a step up machine, and you can get some really good deals.

Good luck on your decision and let us know what you end up with.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:22 AM

I have the Janome 6600, I paid more than $15K but I live in an expensive area - you can likely find it or the 6500 in your price range. I don't regret one penny of the price, I've made 18 quilts on it in 11 months, including a 120" king size that I FMQ'd. I repaired the cuff on my husband's leather jacket - it sewed through four layers of leather without blinking. It's a totally different machine from what you have now - its bones are metal and it's big. NO way it will scootch around on you while you quilt!

I think it's totally worth it if you can get the 6600 or the 6500. (they're almost the same but the 6600 adds Accufeed, which is like a built-in walking foot.)

Other features I love that my prior (small, plastic) machines didn't have - built-in thread cutter, ability to hold cones, and needle up/down button. And of course 9" of throat space.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:58 PM

$1500.00 really isn't much for a machine with those features. I will say that I recently got my dream machine (at Christmas) and it is a Brother Laura Ashley, Innovis NX-2000 and we paid $2200.00 for it. It comes with everything you need for quilting including the walking foot, and 16 other feet, an extension table, and all the items you are hoping for. It is not an embroidery machine, but is an amazing machine and I'm still loving all the features plus it's so quiet while running!! If you can squeeze a little more out of your budget, this one is definitely worth every penny!!
Old 05-25-2013, 02:47 PM

I have the Viking Sapphire 875, love my machine. Its got the larger harp(10"). Its great for making quilts and garments. The other machines in the line are the Sapphire 835 and the Tribute 140, all of them are built on the same chassis.
Sharon
Old 05-25-2013, 05:06 PM

Have not read all the replies but a vintage sewing machine is also a way to go for reliability and durability. You can also service these machines yourself. I would recommend a Singer 15 or similar machine with a vertical bobbin. I freely admit my bias as I only own vintage and antique machines. Most can be had for under $100 and all kinds of accessories are readily available.

Edited to add: I did read all the posts and see I am the only vintage recommendee. There will be no embroidery issues with a vintage either.

Chris

Last edited by chris_quilts; 05-25-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:26 PM

Nabobw is right. I have several used Bernina's that sew wonderful for a very good price. My DD, DL, and niece also sew on used Bernina machines and the love them. I have a 930 ($25. I nearly knocked the lady down to pay her at a yard sale),a 150($1200 came with very nice cabinet and several boxes of fabric), a 163 ($700 included a very old laptop that can be used to change stitches), and a 200 I bought brand new. My DD has a 1060 that we paid $500. My niece has a 160 that we bought for $700, and my DIL has a 180 embroidery machine we bought for $1000. The Bernina is a wonderful machine. You can check Craig's list in your area, I have had good luck on eBay. You can also look on the yahoo group, "Sewitsforsale". All of these Berninas sew wonderful and are loved. We have a 2nd home is why I have several and no, I don't really need that many...but I seem to have turned into a sewing machine collector...or just a nut case. Hope this helps you in your choices. My friends have told me I am very lucky to find these machines for such good prices. I think I am persistent in searching within a price range.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:33 AM

She will find a very nice machine if her budget allows up to $1500. The 5,000 range may also have embroidery functions.

Sandy
Old 05-26-2013, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by watson's mom View Post
I sold my 440 because the throat was too small for quilting (for me). I also have a Janome 6600P with a nine inch throat which I love, has all of the above features mentioned plus many more. It has more stitches than I will ever use (I have a few other machines as well) It is a good solid machine and dosen't move around but I have since put it in it's own table. The walking foot is built in so you don't have to buy one and comes with lots of other feet. Don't trade in your Brother whatever you buy because it is always a good idea to have a backup machine. The best advice I can give is "take that generic walking foot off your machine before you ruin it " Good luck with your search and please let us know what you decide on.
This is the machine I think I'll get in a few years...the 6600.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:00 AM

If you want new, you could afford the Janome 6500...it has everything, big throat, heavy duty, comes with everything you need. I think they sell for about $1400. I have one as a backup and it is truly a great machine. Needle up/down, needle threader, comes with gobs of feet and also a huge slide on table. I was making bags with my high end machine and it would not sew through areas that had 8-10 layers. I went to the Janome and it sewed through like butter! It is a great machine.