Sell - Donate - or Dump?

Old 06-04-2013, 08:45 AM

Be careful of craigslists, lots of scammers on there. Remember if it is too good to be true, it is. If it sounds funny, it is. AND don't use any links in an email to you. Donating may be inconvenient, but it is usually safer.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:03 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Originally Posted by Wildernessties View Post
I hate the way the IPad changes your words on you!! I meant "you could ask a local church.".
I am in total agreement with you there .. I will so totally blame the IPad .. LOL
Old 06-04-2013, 08:39 PM

you probably have a quilt guild in your area. Try googleing it. AQS might have a listing as well. Anyway, every guild makes quilts for different charities. My quilt guild makes QOV and another type that is for children/infants, kids taken away from bad homes etc. Oh, then there are the dog quilts that are made for the shelters (pet). Your church or a church will also take things like this from time to time. We have a battered women's shelter that has a goodwill type store. Many prisons (usually for women) are teaching women to quilt, you could call and see if they are taking fabric.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

I'm talking about stuff like the odd cup, the napkin holder, the unused plastic tablecloth, the cute little boxes, etc.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:29 AM

Def. put in a box by the curb with a "FREE" sign. I would stop by if I was driving by. DH knows to stop for those!!
Old 06-05-2013, 09:16 AM

Teen Challenge is one of the best places to give too.It is a program for men and women who are trying to turn their lifes around,get off drugs, alochol. It is Christian based and they take donations to sell in their store and the money helps the people there. They have places all over the united states. I live in Az and there is one here that has a gift shop that people can come in and shop.The money helps to keep it going.There is one in Tucson called Springboard for joung teen girls.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:48 AM

I have used free cycle numerous times. No phoning, no meeting anywhere. Just done with email and usually porch pick up and don't ever have to see the person. Unless you wanted to. Just google to find one in your city or area.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:44 PM

call the VETS, they'll come pick it up..
Old 06-05-2013, 01:18 PM
Power Poster

It isn't practical to have a truck pick up one grocery bag of full stuff at one time.
We live off a four-lane highway and it would be dangerous for people to stop if I just put bags of stuff on the shoulder of the road.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
After finally deciding (anguishing) that some items are no longer wanted or needed -

what is the best way to get them gone?

I don't have enough gathered to put on a yard sale (or the facility/location or the desire or the energy) - the stuff isn't valuable enough to advertise - and taking them to donation sites is inconvenient - and it's still too good to just trash - and I've already tried to pawn the stuff off to other family members -

What do you do?
We have had members bring such items to our guild meetings and most of them are claimed by the end of the meeting. I have donated fabric to a Senior Citizen group and they are always happy to use even the small pieces in quilt tops.