Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I Have A FINISH! >

I Have A FINISH!

I Have A FINISH!

Old 06-06-2013, 01:50 PM

Well done. You've created a beautiful quilt.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:01 PM

Respect! Nice quilt
Old 06-06-2013, 02:03 PM

I agree that is a doosy very nice
Old 06-06-2013, 02:09 PM

Absolutely stunning. That's a lot of hand piecing. Can you tell us how much fabric
is needed? Does it make a heavy quilt?
Old 06-06-2013, 02:16 PM

That is beautiful! I just did a little 81-hexigon table runner and was feeling pretty proud of that! haha
Old 06-06-2013, 02:17 PM

Absolutely beautiful! Very impressive.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:20 PM

Just beautiful! Sometimes I want to try this but have a long list already!
Old 06-06-2013, 02:43 PM

Oh My! Your quilt is soooo beautiful! Congrats on a job well done. I love it!!
Old 06-06-2013, 02:50 PM

Well, you go outside and pick that beautiful quilt up off the ground and bring it inside and put it on your bed! LOL It is just gorgeous. I love it. What a lot of work!
Old 06-06-2013, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
Absolutely stunning. That's a lot of hand piecing. Can you tell us how much fabric
is needed? Does it make a heavy quilt?
I happened to have the "details" stapled to my map. I started with:

1755 Black hexies - 275"
538 Bright Yellow - 85"
264 Light yellow - 42.5"
538 Bright Blue - 85"
264 Light Blue - 42.5"
536 Bright Pink - 85"
264 Light Pink - 42.5"
538 Bright Green - 85"
264 Light Green - 42.5"

I almost always buy a little bit extra to allow for shrinkage, mistakes, etc. When I was about 75% done, I realized that I had to sew an extra row of hexies on the top and bottom because I wanted the binding to finish right on a seam and I hadn't sewn a hexie above that seam to fill the binding and have enough to really attach to so these numbers are slightly off but this is what I purchased. This does not account for binding, backing or batting.

Also, it does indeed make a VERY heavy quilt. I haven't gotten around to weighing it but have been thinking I should. It is heavy enough that while my mother-in-law is pushing me to enter it SOMEWHERE before I give it to my brother for Christmas, I don't have alot of faith in the sleeve supporting the weight of it without damaging the minke back.

When I originally started this, I thought it would be done in time to give for Christmas 2011. I was a long way off on my timing but just kept plugging away at it. Much of the time I worked on it I either didn't want to be in front of my machine or simply couldn't be. We also bought a house near the end of January last year and so had to list the house we were in. We were bursting at the seams and keeping a house "ShowHome Ready" with a seven year old, five year old and, once again, a husband out of town meant that I simply could not get out the mess of machine piecing while this could be taken out and put away in moments. Or sitting pool side in Jamaica, enjoying the sun - we escaped -40 for most of that trip. Or just shy of two hours twice a week for Tae Kwon Do, or, or, or. I've been working on a queen sized storm at sea for 18 months when I could get to the machine.

Anyway, I'll answer any other questions if I can but thank you all so much for your comments. No one else I know around here quilts so I don't have anyone else to share with. I read many of all of your posts even if I don't often have alot of time to respond. I have learned so much here and love the quilting community that I only get here.

Another thing for anyone considering doing a GFG themselves. Another thing I loved about this was that I could take it anywhere and even if I only had five or ten minutes then I could easily accomplish at least a little with very little tools. Those little five - ten minute quilting breaks plus "watching" Grey's or whatever else all added together made this quilt.

Tara

Edited to add: I had to go outside and do the pictures where and how I did because I didn't have anywhere else big enough where I could also get far enough away to get the whole quilt in one shot. I am standing on a chair on my upper deck to get the shot of the whole quilt so the camera is about 15 feet above the quilt and back about six to eight feet. I'm not even keeping this quilt. It is a Christmas gift for my brother and his wife and they don't have a clue.

Last edited by Mo_Chride; 06-06-2013 at 03:07 PM.