Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anybody do their own Kid's Haircuts >

Anybody do their own Kid's Haircuts

Anybody do their own Kid's Haircuts

Old 06-09-2013, 02:04 AM

When we were newlyweds and my DH in the Air Force, he came back from the BX Barbershop with the most awful haircut. I looked at him and said "you told her you were Air Force and not Marines, right?" Told him I could do a better job than that without going to school. He immediately went out and bought clippers and I have been cutting his hair ever since. I admire people who cut/style hair for a living - if they are good at it. It's a skill and some are very good at it and some are not. My DH always found the ones who were not - LOL!

Now my hair stylist I have been going to for 16 years. She's the best and I won't let anyone else touch my hair. What also helps is that her hair is a lot like mine - hard to work with. I have actually been to hairstylists that have complained about my hair - they never saw me again. I tip my hairstylist 25 percent because she does such a good job.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:25 AM

NOOOOO! I tried to cut my son's hair when he was about 4 yrs or so, well let me just say we went straight to a barber afterwards...lol
Old 06-09-2013, 04:39 AM

My mother-in-law, talked my husband into letting her cut his hair...the only experience she had, was she went to the beauty shop every Friday. She told him since she has seen it done so many times that she can do it. Well she did it alright, it was a MESS. I never cut his hair, and he never had her cut it again, but every time he would mention he needs a hair cut, I would tell him his mother could do it..LOL
Old 06-09-2013, 06:29 AM

I have cut my DH's hair for 55 years, my FIL's hair and my son's hair for 50 years.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:33 AM

I have always cut my own, DH & kids hair. The kids had never had anyone other than me do their hair until after they left home. DH has only went to a barber once during our 40 years together. My Mom always has me cut & perm hers & has since I was a teen. I still do hair cuts & perms for other people. My best friend & her DH won't let anyone else do their hair. My BFF's mother wouldn't let anyone else do her hair either. She always said my perm would last way longer than a shop could do. We sure miss her now that she is gone. Never had a problem with any of them sitting still other than my Mom. LOL
Old 06-09-2013, 08:45 AM

I still cut my boys hair too. One is 41 the other 26 also my Husbands hair.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
HAIRCUTS
Dad had a job delivering gas. One night a man called and wanted gas right away. The man was so grateful Dad took him the gas that he taught Mom to cut Dad's hair. (Dad has a wild mop of hair.) When I was a little kid - she cut our hair when we were asleep. I don't know how she did it - maybe we looked scary. Sigh. She doesn't remember anymore. She doesn't cut Dad's hair anymore - he goes to get it done but it is the same cut he always had from her.

Someone had to cut Mom's hair so when I was a young teen she taught me everything she knew... LOL I don't know if she went somewhere to fix it but I don't think she looked too bad. I also cut my sister's hair.

When my kids came along I naturally cut their hair. Then I found out why Mom cut hair when we were sleeping. I can remember wrapping my legs around my daughter to hold her down while cutting her hair... My son's both went to get hair cuts when I did something to my hand once and ended up with the same hair cut I gave them. Anyway they kept having me cut their hair since it's cheaper if they are only going to get the same hair cut...

DD was wanting hair cuts for my 3 little grand kids Miss L (6) and Wilbur (3 1/2) and Walter (1 1/2) since they don't comb their hair very well. I cut Walter's hair when he was sleepy and sitting behind the steering wheel in my new Honda. I flicked his hair out the car window. No we weren't moving. I'm not sure he knew he was getting a hair cut - he was busy checking things out. Then Miss L and Wilbur... THEY didn't WANT hair cuts. So I paid Miss L a quarter to get a haircut. Made her happy. She looks very cute by the way (she is the kido cleaning the sewing machine in my avitar) Then Wilbur wanted to keep his curls on his head. BUT Wilbur saw Miss L got a quarter so he said he would like a hair cut. He sat on a bucket and I cut off a curl - Wilbur wiggled - I asked him if I hurt him. "NO " Ok so I cut off another curl. Wilbur wiggled. "Wilbur do you hear that birdie?" "Yes." "Do you know that birdie wants some of your hair to put in her baby's nest?" No comment but he sat reasonably still. I kept talking about the birdies every time he darted around. When we got done we had a huge pile of curls - some on the head and some not. So I told him he had to hide curls all over the yard for the birdie to find. He did. There is hair everywhere. His favorite place was in a tree. He got a quarter, too.

What do you do to get kidos to hold still for hair cuts? Anybody else brave/crazy enough to cut hair?
I do my husband,brother,and 4 of our dogs all the time.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:33 AM

I trim my own bangs and will trim my girls' bangs on occasion but for trims we use a beautician. When I had short hair, I fell asleep one time at the beauty shop and the cutter gave me extremely short hair ~ like 1.5 inches on top and almost to my scalp in the back and coming around the sides. I was pissed!!! I didn't go back to her but had to explain to both my DH and my boss, a school principal, why my hair looked like that. It took almost 6 months to grow out enough to be styled into a "normal" looking hair style.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:15 AM

Did my ex husbands, who was military, my kids and now mypresent husband and if I get fed up I do mine, as when I go get it cut I have to redo it anyway. Yes, you lave lots of money and if you take your time it is not a problem. And it grows back too, not liek our material.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:27 PM

Just remember to tell them to not look up when you are trimming their bangs and not hold them [the bangs ]when the harpir is wet---stretches-- and bangs will be way too short---this is from a retired hairstylist