Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Interesting facts - they seem right to me, not guaranteed though >

Interesting facts - they seem right to me, not guaranteed though

Interesting facts - they seem right to me, not guaranteed though

Old 06-14-2013, 04:51 PM

ptquilts. I remember as a little girl, going to the bottom of a well with my Uncle and looking up. Stars were visible and it was the middle of the day. That one if for certain a fact
Old 06-15-2013, 12:00 AM

cool stuff.. thanks for sharing
Old 06-15-2013, 03:24 AM
Power Poster

Let's add some more.....
A horse's eyes are the same size when he is born, as when he is fully grown.

The first automatic pop up toaster was patented in 1919, but sliced bread was not patented until 1928.

Last edited by Boston1954; 06-15-2013 at 03:38 AM.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by alwayslearning View Post
Found two that are not correct and both involve tropical fruit. First on is bananas: list says that cannot reproduce themselves. Not true. The individual plants only produce one crop of bananas (called a hand), but the plant has already sent out a runner underground from which another plant has grown. This is how they grow in the wild and in casual gardens. On plantations, they may find a more orderly way to propagate the bananas.
There is also another tropical fruit called annona muricata (sour apple) which has little prickly things all over the outside that I think are the seeds. These lists are very interesting. Just think, if the people that make these lists just had some fabric, thread, patterns! More creativity, but the product would be more pleasing and useful.
I REALLY appreciate the fact that there are people who use their time & brains to create these lists. It proves that God did create all of these wonders and humans are still denying Him. Not all people create with fabric, thread and patterns. How boring that would be. Think of the great artists, writers, carvers,etc. Don't be so limited. Look around you and take in the beauty of everything.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:54 PM

Loved your list of trivia. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:57 PM

The Swine Flu vaccine in 1976 caused more death and illness than the disease It was intended to prevent

I have heard this before.

All I know, is that I, being a good citizen, and 18, went and got my first flu shot down at OSU that year.
Being a good citizen and all.
It was the sickest I've been in my life, and the LAST time I've ever gotten a flu shot

A few years ago I mentioned this to my doctor, and he said the same thing happened to him (He's a few years older than I am) I guess I was lucky I didn't die,m so it could have been much worse

I've had the flu ONCE since then
Old 06-16-2013, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by RugosaB View Post
The Swine Flu vaccine in 1976 caused more death and illness than the disease It was intended to prevent

I have heard this before.

All I know, is that I, being a good citizen, and 18, went and got my first flu shot down at OSU that year.
Being a good citizen and all.
It was the sickest I've been in my life, and the LAST time I've ever gotten a flu shot

A few years ago I mentioned this to my doctor, and he said the same thing happened to him (He's a few years older than I am) I guess I was lucky I didn't die,m so it could have been much worse

I've had the flu ONCE since then
I don't know how old you are but the flu vaccine USED to contain a live virus. This is so the body will react to it and create antibodies to build up an immunity to it. Some people got the flu after the vaccines and some didn't. Researchers have now found that using a dead or synthetic virus will trigger the body into making the antibodies. So flu vaccines now no longer have a live virus in them. As a nurse, I have only taken the flu vaccine once and that was immediately following the 9/11 attacks. I never get the flu. Some people just have strong immune systems and are able to fight off the virus without taking the vaccine.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:14 AM

That is all very interesting. I was wondering where the salute came from.