Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Warning:  Magazine subscription renewal scams >

Warning: Magazine subscription renewal scams

Warning: Magazine subscription renewal scams

Old 06-25-2013, 04:30 AM

I seem to get these notices monthly, and like many have stated, for magazines I have never subscribed to. My DH and I often make the comment that we wonder how many senior citizens fall for this. I know my Dad would have. I get so angry with people that try to scam others.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
I got one recently and I've not had magazines for years. The last was McCalls and they had me down for two accounts. I'd paid them and they were threatening collection agency for one of the accounts that I didn't know about. I certainly wasn't getting two magazines!! they corrected things and I cancelled and got money back. Never got another subscription since then.
Same thing happened to me. I knew I had not subscribed to that mag. so ignored the notices. After some time, I got a letter from a collection agency. I was horrified. I sent them a check, but told them that I was paying this under duress and that I had no recollection of subscribing and didn't even want that mag. To my surprise, in about two weeks, they sent a letter of release and returned my check. You have to be so careful these days.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:59 AM

Also noticed on one of the statements that they wanted you to check a little box for "automatic renewal" and if you do they will bill you every year! I don't subscribe to any magazines at all any more, I'm so tired of the tricks!
Old 06-25-2013, 05:05 AM

I, too, have cancelled all my subscriptions. I was getting "bills" that said "thank you for your renewal order, here is your bill". I had requested the subscriptions cancelled but instead they were sending bills?? I think not! So many ways today to get into peoples' pockets, especially seniors who are generally so trusting and honest!! ugghhh!!!!
Old 06-25-2013, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by southernmema View Post
I, too, have cancelled all my subscriptions. I was getting "bills" that said "thank you for your renewal order, here is your bill". I had requested the subscriptions cancelled but instead they were sending bills?? I think not! So many ways today to get into peoples' pockets, especially seniors who are generally so trusting and honest!! ugghhh!!!!
I know what you mean... easiest and smartest thing to do is to open the bill write Cancel subscription in RED Sharpie marker in LARGE Letters then stuff everything back in their PREPAID ENVELOPE even the outside Envelope.... and seal it then write on outside of that envelope cancel subscription in large letters. mark the Return date on the inside and outside of envelope... then mail it.. or call or email the company telling them you are canceling Your subscription too...
Old 06-25-2013, 05:51 AM

I get those bills also but throw them away. They do not look like the renewals from the mags.
Also keep a list of my subscriptions in my check book register on one of the unused pages. So I can check back when I get a bill to see if it is time to renew.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:09 AM

I especially love the notices I get directly from the magazine's billing department.
I just paid all 4 of my subs via their online payment sites. And about a week later I get a renewal notice....LOL
Old 06-25-2013, 06:22 AM

Linda B -

VERY glad you posted this alert !!
I was about to do the same, because just last week I got 2 of these pseudo-billings, after recently renewing 2 of my subscriptions. They had the right magazine info but the amounts they were "billing" me for were at least TWICE as much as the REAL renewal prices - and I had ALREADY paid !!
I worry how many people have already been taken by these SCAMMERS ... please double check ANY bill you get, make sure it is LEGIT and actually DUE and for the right AMOUNT !!

Last edited by TexasGurl; 06-25-2013 at 06:26 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:37 AM

Thanks, I just received one yesterday.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:15 AM

Many times it is not just about the money you are sending, it is about your check and account number, address, phone, whatever you have printed on your checks. Tip from a Security firm, if you have to use a check, make sure only your initials are printed on the check, with your last name, (even the listing for your phone number in the phone book), do not have your phone number or driver's license # printed on your checks. The grocery store can ask you, but if you are sending it to pay a bill, it is not needed. In using initials and your last name, thieves will have a really hard time trying to set up another account in your "name". BTW, credit agencies and lenders don't care about magazine subscriptions being on your account, just dispute them. Always tell a collection agency, that the subscription is bogus and you have turned it and them over to the Attorney General's office for your state.