Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage zig zag machine recommendations >

Vintage zig zag machine recommendations

Vintage zig zag machine recommendations

Old 06-26-2013, 06:28 PM

My Elna SU from 1973 makes a pretty ZZ. So does a Montgomery Wards from the 70s and a Universal from the 50s, but nothing here beats the Elna.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:21 PM

Nobody reacted to my "any old machine with ZZ attachment" idea so maybe it was a bad one, but I read that this attachment is pretty great.
Regarding the 206, it uses the same needles as my 319, and I had no trouble find them. Just to be safe I bought a 10 pack of each size (12, 14, 16), but Schmetz is still making them. This machine (319) is really nice to use and does a zillion different patterns. The 206, 306 and 319 are all very similar. The body of the machine is "lightweight" aluminium but it still weighs a ton (I have it in a cabinet).
I'm on the lookout now for a reasonably priced ZZ attachment so I can try out my 201 and 66, but from all accounts they're excellent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqmVKBENpVw The Zigzagger appears to move the fabric rather than the needle, so you won't need to buy a new base plate or modify the needlebar. Anyone this time?
Old 06-27-2013, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by tate_elliott View Post
SewNewGirl, All of these recommendations are good, but finding them is the tricky part. Why not try this - go to a local sewing machine repair shop and see what they have in used machines? These shops often have trade-ins for sale. You'll want to try and find an "old time" shop, where the repairman looks older than Moses. That's the guy you want, because newer repairmen (or women) don't know how to work on older machines and think that nobody would want one.

Tate
I would love to do that but I live about 1-2 hours away from any sewing shops. I have made me a list and have been looking them up online. I am hoping to run across one of the many good recommendations here for a decent price.
Not in a hurry and don't need it right away, I am just trying to get more familiar as well with the vintage machines. Gonna try to hit some yard sales and fleamarkets one weekend so I will know more when I am looking. And when I get the time I will definitely hit up a sewing shop but that could be a while! I have also looked at all the pictures of the vintage machines.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:04 PM

Do you have a Craigslist in your area? They often have good machines. Mine is populated with Kenmores right now.

I will answer your question on hearsay, not personal experience. I've heard that the add on zigzaggers aren't as reliable as the buttonholers. They do a screwy stitch once in a while and that's not desirable in satin stitching. I'd look all for a metal zigzag machine from the 60s or 70s. ebay should have something, too. My ebay machines have arrived in good condition, though one case didn't. Do you have a Goodwill or Salvation Army. SA here has good machines quite often. A sewing shop is going to charge too much (IMO) because they 'serviced' the machine.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
I will answer your question on hearsay, not personal experience
Thank you irishrose. Thought I was crazy or invisible :-)
Old 06-30-2013, 06:37 AM

I'll chuck in my 2c worth

I've got an older Bernina 640-2 Favorit that does beautiful satin stitching (as well as other built in decorative stitches - I think there are 13). That machine is circa 1954 and everyone raves about the later Record models. You can drop the feed dogs on this machine.

I've also just got a Baer & Rempel Phoenix 283F - that's the freearm model, but you can look for a 282 or 283 with ZZ capability. I've heard/read that the German manufacturers were ahead of their time with their ZZ machines so if you want to get an early one, then that could be an interesting purchase. Plus they look pretty amazing!

I've also got a Necchi Supernova Automatica but it isn't working yet. I've heard they're fabulous as well, but engineered with close tolerances and require a lot of oiling. I have the cams and booklet for this one and the embroidery stitch combinations are seemingly endless...
Old 07-02-2013, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by SewNewGirl View Post
Gonna try to hit some yard sales and fleamarkets one weekend so I will know more when I am looking.
I don't know where in Virginia you are, but keep your eyes open for estate sales, too. If you are in an area that is included on Craigslist, keep checking on it. Even if you are in a Craigslist area that covers a lot of ground, for instance, "Eastern NC," it doesn't hurt to check on a regular basis. One person said that they not only search on "sewing," they also looked in the background of photos in ads for moving sales and estate sales, because some people don't think sewing machines are worth mentioning!

Oh, and don't forget to search for "sowing," I see machines listed that way all the time.

Tate
Old 07-02-2013, 04:57 PM

As for older Berninas, I've got a 117L model that's old and freaking heavy but make a heckuva zigzag stitch. Love that machine but it could be used a weapon against an intruder if I could get to it in time. It is a super nice machine though and supposed to be fairly uncommon.

Chris
Old 07-04-2013, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by tate_elliott View Post
<snip>

Oh, and don't forget to search for "sowing," I see machines listed that way all the time.

Tate
Yes, both cities I have lived in have listings for "sowing" machines.