Cast iron griddle by Lodge

Old 07-16-2013, 04:50 AM
Power Poster

I don't anything about that griddle. I do know to cook pancakes on anything you must let the 'pan' get hot enough for water drop to dance around and evaporate.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I use my electric frying pan for pancakes. I like to be able to set the temperature. It has the added bonus of freeing up the stove for doing other cooking.
Yes, I use my electric fry pan also. Even heat and just as hot as you want it. I heat it up good and cook at 350.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:28 AM
Power Poster

Maybe you need to re-season it. I re-season mine couple times a year when I can open the windows. Just recently, though I purchased a "Green" that I can use in the oven as well. That one also has to be seasoned. It said to use vegetable "oil" but I have always used vegetable "shortening" such as Crisco. That way it is easy to coat before seasoning in the oven. I usually put it in a preheated oven between 400-500 degrees for an hour. After that I let it cool completely then wipe out the excess really well with a clean damp to dry dish rag. When food starts to stick, it's usually time to re-season and that would be about every 3-6 months depending on how often you use it.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:15 AM

I too bought a Lodge griddle for pancakes in hopes that I wouldn't have to buy another small electric appliance. WRONG...no success, the pancakes were a mess. It didn't matter how long I let the thing heat up.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:57 AM

I have one too but it stays in the cupboard and I use my non stick frying pan for pancakes. When I do use the Lodge griddle, I put it over 2 gas burners and let it heat up very well. I have also used it on the barbeque a couple of times, once during a long power outage.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:10 AM

I don't find that they heated evenly on the stove. I bought an electric grill that is maybe 2 foot long and 15 inches wide. The pancakes come out perfect,a s well as bacon, grilled cheese,French toast. Easy to clean and the best part is that I get to eat with everyone, as I am making 8 big pancakes at a time and almost a whole pound of bacon. I only paid $15 to $20 dollars and I couldn't be happier.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:08 AM

It is not the griddle it is the stove. I have a round cast iron griddle, that fits on one burner, that I use all the time for pancakes, french toast, grilled cheese, etc. I use an electric stove and the burner can have hot spots, and as earlier stated you do need to let it heat until a water drop "dances". You can see where the hot spots are when you boil water and how the boil starts in the bottom of the pan, it usually is not even, especially on an electric stove.

If the griddle is a large one that fits over 2 burners, where ever the heat is not under the griddle, the heat will not transfer the same as over the direct heat.

Hope this helps.
PB from MN
Old 07-17-2013, 08:58 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

I was gonna suggest some of the other suggestions.. LOL but the biggest is to call their 800 number ..
Old 07-17-2013, 09:04 AM

I have a small 6 inch cast iron skillet I make crepes ( very thin pancakes) in. I have to butter the skillet each time I make a crepe in it, or else it sticks to the pan.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:48 AM

I have a griddle like that. I cannot, repeat cannot make pancakes on it on the electric stove which I hate. You cannot control the heat as it is either too hot or too cool. I have a large electric griddle that I can control the heat that I use. I really have trouble with an electric stove. If I want to simmer something, I put my large iron skillet on the burner & set the pan in it. Try starting it out on a medium heat for a little while. Mama always sprinkled a few drops of water on it & if it sizziled & jumped it was hot enough. Good luck.