Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pfaff machines? >

Pfaff machines?

Pfaff machines?

Old 07-31-2013, 05:37 AM

I have a QE 4 and love it. I shove all kinds of things from blind cords, glitter ribbons, twisted fabric and more under this machine. If it fits under the presser foot, this machine sews it down. The photo is the type of quilting I do with it (If it posts). I bought it mainly because of the large throat, IDT, auto presser foot lift, 9mm stitch with and stitches available. Some have had big trouble with these models but I've had none. My machine only fusses when there is no fabric under the back of feed dogs and will eat fabric if a scrap isn't used to begin sewing with. I free motion with the feed dogs UP- contrary to the rules of free motion sewing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02286.JPG
Views:	1194
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	427335  
Old 07-31-2013, 06:40 AM

I have a Pfaff 1222 that I use for regular sewing, have had it for 44 years, first Christmas present from Hubby. It still sews like new. I also have a Pfaff 7570 and love it for sewing and embroidery, it only does 4x4's though. The regular sewing is wonderful as well. I just purchased a Pfaff Creative sensation, have not had a lot of time to use it yet, but love what I have done. I have other machines as well and each one has its points.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:49 AM

My 94 yr young Mom just gifted me her Pfaff 1471. Trying to learn "Annie's" quirks. Never had one that balked at bulky seams. Is that a Pfaff trait? Maybe she just needs a good mechanic. I cleaned her up really well and oiled and unfuzzed her. She still kind of balks though. What do you think might be the problem. Love the IDT.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:53 AM

I own the Pfaff Creative Vision. It is an amazing machine and I love it. I do all my piecing on it and it is a FMQ'ing dream. No adjusting tension, just one click. I have 2 other relatively pricey machines, a Janome and a Singer, but they sit idle as I love my Pfaff. My dealer is extremely helpful and is always there to help if I do have a problem. I haven't used my embroidery function much, but what I have done is beautiful. I found that the embroidery function has quite a learning curve. I owned a brother embroidery machine for years and I just haven't taken the time to figure out all the bells and whistles on my Pfaff.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Groovy Pieces View Post
I own the Smarter By Pfaff (A.K.A.: C1100 Pro). And of course, I got the lemon of the batch . My Pfaff Dealer was an absolute angel ! ! ! Once we completed all the trouble shooting issues, Pfaff immediately shipped a brand new Smarter & it's been bliss ever since .

This machine is more industrial-minded. There is a large harp (brochure picture can be a bit deceiving - need to see it in the store), thread cutter, scissors, needle threader (no problems - works every time), some very nice decorative stitches(not embroidery machine dense, but alphabets are nice for labels), & I really like the "lock-stitch" button (especially when using your decorative stitches).

What a work horse ! ! ! My speed control is set "wide open" (up to 1600 spm) when doing repetitive piecing, mindless strip sets or strings, HSTs, paper piecing, etc.; I bring it down a bit when doing wearables & artsy stuff.

But my 2 favorite "bells": (1) the independent bobbin motor: it's great to keep piecing while your bobbins are winding & (2) retractable thread guides (along with the vertical spool pins).

I'm lovin' mine . . . .GP
I have the sister machine, Babylock Serenade that I adore. I upgraded from a Pfaff's 7570 which I also still have, just don't use as often anymore. The Serenade is my Pfaff's on Steroids, more bells and whistles!
Old 07-31-2013, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
I have a vintage Pfaff and it is absolutely wonderful. My friend Jill has a brand new one with all the bells and whistles, cost her $900 on sale and it is fabulous too. German made, these sewing machines are really good.
Don't want to rain on anyone's parade BUT - Pfaffs are no longer made in Germany and they haven't been for about the last 10 years.
The older Tiptronics and the great 7000 series machines were all German-made (pre-2000). But the more recent Expression models and 2000 series machines have been made elsewhere - Sweden, Czechoslovakia etc - and now China.
Also, the Grandquilter is made by Janome, it's exactly the same machine as the Janome 1600 and Viking Megaquilter. Janome just puts different housings on them.
Viking's parent company bought Pfaff and first shifted manufacturing to Sweden & Czech. Then to cut costs, manufacturing was moved to China about 5 years ago. Unless something has changed again that I'm not aware of, Pfaffs are coming from China.

Last edited by TexasGurl; 07-31-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:52 AM

I had a Pfaff 1473 for a number of years, then in 2003 we gifted it to a dear friend who had been praying for a sewing machine, and I got a Pfaff 7570 which I really do love. It is my workhorse. I do not use the embroidery unit very much, but am glad to have it available if I need it. My backup machine is a Brother CS6000i, which I also love. Then, too, I have a 1954 Featherweight which I can take places with me. I have an old New Home, with electronic stitch length only, all else is manual. It is currently downstairs in our rental apartment, and I also have a Viking 1100, which is on permanent loan.to a dear friend.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:57 AM

I love Pfaffs and have owned others with the vertical bobbin and I always thought those were the best. So I was a little hesitant about the QE4.0 with the drop-in bobbin. But when I first tried it out, it sewed just as well as. I've now had it a year and have sewn multi-layered fabrics making furniture slipcovers and it never skips a stitch. I have been just as happy with this one as the Performance 2056. I bought this one for the long throat and the auto thread cutter and many other features that make piecing and quilting easier.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:00 AM

I have had my Pfaff 7570 since it first came out. Traded in a 1490?? I think. Don't recall the number. I love the 7570 for sewing and piecing. The low bobbin is my favorite feature. I wish it had a thread cutter. Like a fool I have had several Janomes in recent years because my dealer stopped carrying Pfaff. I like the Pfaff so much better because it's not temperamental. I never used the embroidery unit which is obsolete now.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:18 AM

I used a Pfaff in the 50's in High School then in college. DH would not buy me a Pfaff so after the divorce I put myself and 4 kids thru college. THEN I bought MY PFAFF #4270 and after about 10 years I sold it to my Best Friend. WRONG! I should have kept it. I then bought a Free Style on a half price sale and monthly payments. I even FMQ with the feed dogs up and am doing very well at it. Have visited Germany 6 times and there are Fpaff dealers on most every corner. WOW! Hugs