Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pfaff Ambition Essential -- Pfaff as a brand. >

Pfaff Ambition Essential -- Pfaff as a brand.

Pfaff Ambition Essential -- Pfaff as a brand.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:59 AM

Default Pfaff Ambition Essential -- Pfaff as a brand.

My brother 6000i has taken its last breath after 4 years of mostly faithful service.

I spent hours last night researching and trying to find a good upgrade.

I found a pfaff ambition essential that I could get for 650-750 on ebay. The auction ends in 3 hours so I am running out of research time so I thought I would put the question to you guys.

It looks great, looks like it has all I need. Unfortunately I have read (on this board) that it is difficult to get replacement parts. Is this the case across the board? I only read it from one poster so I am not sure. I don't want to make this kind of purchase expecting it to last a long time, only to not be able to replace a broken pedal.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:36 AM

Hmmm well I have two Pfaffs - The Ambition I have had for two years and an older 2038 that I have had for ten years. I absolutely love them both. Pfaff was the first with IDT (essentially a built in walking foot) that is wonderful.

I cannot tell you about parts because I never needed them. I can get all the accesories I could want with no issue.

So Pfaff still makes a great machine.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:46 AM

I have had two Pfaffs, neither of them the one you have. Mine were (I sold one.) both Tiptronics. Love them both, but can't address the availability of parts question, because mine have never needed any service. I did buy many extra feet a few years back, and had no problem finding them, brand new. Hth. Good luck. If you don't manage to snag this one, you can probably find a good one used at a dealer. People do trade up. I'd be sure to get one with the IDT, though. The ancient Pfaff's didn't have that.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:49 AM

Well, let me put it this way. I purchased a used Pfaff at a auction a few years back. It needed a new foot control. So I called my Pfaff dealer. Imagine my surprise when I learned that he had stopped being a Pfaff dealer and had changed to Babylock. The reason why? He told me that it can take up to 6 months for him to receive parts from Pfaff. Finally, he told me he just had to stop selling Pfaff, because they took so long to fill parts orders. I can attest to that. I went to a different Pfaff dealer for my parts that I needed, and yes, it took 6 months to receive them from Pfaff. I,too, love my Pfaff's, but when the 2 I have die, I will not replace them with another Pfaff. One more thing, the former Pfaff dealer told me that he hopes that at some point in the future that Pfaff goes back to being a stand alone company, like Bernina. Instead of being owned by a company that also owns Viking and Singer. I hope that this helps you make a decision.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:54 AM

Thanks for the replies folks. ..... I think quilter2090, you may have been the person whose post I noticed. I am glad you found this one too .
Old 04-21-2013, 09:31 AM

Hi try this site. http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/pfa...odel-list.aspx.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:35 AM

My ancient Pfaff, Creative 1471 I bought in 1986 does have the IDT and it is the best feature of that machine. I don't know about the newer Pfaffs but I still use my old one every day I sew. It is just my go to machine. I have looked at the Ambition Essential but don't really need another machine right now. I do have a Brother sewing/embroidery machine plus a cheap Singer and a featherweight.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:50 AM

I have a Pfaff 7570 that I bought new years ago. Love it. Never had to order parts, it is a workhorse. (my dealer's words). I am totally sold on Pfaffs.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:57 AM

I have an older Pfaff (1540). It is a little fussier than my other machines (couple old Singers) -- I have to adjust the tension a bit more often when switching fabric types/weights. And I have not used many of the special stitches, etc. BUT. There is a BUT. Actually there are two BUTs:

1. The IDT is priceless. I can put a 90" zipper in with no pins, no glue, no basting. Or sew 100"+ of drapery hem. And it will come out perfect.

2. Partly because of the IDT, I think, it handles big seam bumps very nicely. Great machine for altering blue jeans, sewing backpacks, etc.

I haven't had to have any service on it over the 8? years or so I've had it. I haven't sewn as much on it as some folks have on theirs.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:17 PM

I've had a Pfaff Expression 2038 for several years now and love the IDT! However, about a year after purchasing it, the dealer sold her shop and moved, so there is no one in the area now who I can contact for service or questions...bummer! My all-time favorite machine is still my New Home (Janome) Memory Craft 6000, and if there were a dealer close to me, I would trade her for an upgrade! That machine is still a workhorse!