High Efficiency Washers

Old 07-30-2013, 07:05 PM

They are very nice, leave the door open sometimes so it dosen't smell. I also use vinegar once in a while to clean it!
Old 07-30-2013, 07:30 PM

I sprinkle baking soda in the bottom once in awhile, doesn't hurt the laundry.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:35 PM

When my old washer died, I purchased a Samsung top loading HE. It was very disconcerting that it used less water than I had been used to, and I began to notice that my wash cloths that I used on my face smelled bad after they got wet. I did some research and there were many suggestions to combat this problem peculiar to HE's. What I do now, is use hot water instead of the warm that pops up automatically and I always press the double rinse button. Problem went away. Also, I leave the lid open for a few hours to let the washer dry out between use. That way, no molds build up.

I did a lot of research before buying and decided front loaders were not best for me.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I hope they still make top loading ones when I need to replace mine. I like being able to wash a quilt in mine with lots of water. The drawbacks I have heard for front loaders are: small things get sucked into the pumps, mold can grow at the doors and there have been reports of children crawling into them.
We bought a top loading HE Maytag washer in 2010 and we like it. It allows you to stop and add a garment if you want. It takes a little getting used to the smaller amount of water it uses but it does clean things fine. It also was a learning curve getting used to their definitions of the types of loads - very different from the 22-yr old washer we replaced.
I have a "hand washing" cycle that worked beautifully with wool socks and sweaters. No shrinkage. There is a "bulky" cycle that would be fine for quilts, mattress pads, etc. Oh, and my washer is much larger than my old one so no worry about big quilts either.

Last edited by selm; 07-31-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:48 AM

It sounds like your pump needs cleaned out. My does the same thing once in a while. Maybe once a year. Just remove the bottom front and the pump is easy to get to.. Beth in Co
Old 07-31-2013, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
i have a top loading HE.
i do not like it, sam I am.
i'd rather eat green eggs and ham.

i can't control the water level.
it does not get clothes as clean as the old washer did.
still ... it's better than rocks at the river. LOL

I also have top loading HE washer and I think it cleans the clothes fine.
You can control the water level somewhat as you can add a rinse to some load settings that don't have it. The washer uses water based on the weight of the clothes somehow. So less water is not necessarily a bad thing, it just takes getting used to it. My instruction book describes loads differently to the old washer terminology. If you want more water use a load type that uses more water(an example for my washer: I could use a "bulky" setting instead of "normal" or "whites" to get more water used). Of course, doing this circumvents the purpose of a High Efficiency washer. My booklet explains what each cycle does in terms of agitation, spin speed and temp of water but I can override each of those settings too. If you feel the clothes aren't clean experiment with the amount of detergent don't skimp but try not to overdo either. If I use too much detergent I notice it in the lint from the dryer(seems damper, slicker) Always use HE detergent .
Old 07-31-2013, 11:43 AM
QKO

We've had the Whirlpool Duet washer and dryer for almost 10 years now. Best machines we've ever had. No problems with either one. No stink as long as you leave the washer door open when it's not in use. We also use oxyclean so that may help if you're having issues, don't know for sure. We have hot setting that gets hot, we have pause to put in another item if needed, we have soak cycle - so I'm not sure what others are complaining about. You just need to make sure the machine you buy has the features you want before you buy it.

Our Duet washer gets the clothes really clean and smelling good, and we can put a lot of clothes in a load and it does the job. Have put things like sleeping bags in there and it got nice and clean even though it completely filled the washer. Also does a good job on my motorcycle riding suits.

I'd never go back to a top loader - Never found one of those that didn't wreck clothing, and the HE front loader pays for itself in saved detergent...
Old 07-31-2013, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

I have to admit that when I first started using my Duet I didn't have the problem. I loved the way it wrang all the water out of my DH's dirty overalls as well as all my clothes. In the last 6 months, the sudsing issue has been a problem. If I do 2 clean cycles in a row, maybe that will help clean things out. Our water softener is not on a timer, but a sensing program--so I always have soft water (I live in a hard scale calcium rich area, so the softener is a must.)

I for one have appreciated all the input people have put into this subject. One of the reasons I went with an HE was the water saving. With a well of our own, I'm not paying for water, but I see the need to preserve this precious resource.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:04 PM

I sold my Front loader and bought an LG Top Loader for that reason. Found out it has a safety feature which will drain the water if left on pause for more than 40 minutes. It has a soak cycle, but it is only 30 minutes. When I bought a new washer I was looking forward to soaking towels in vinegar and baking soda for hours if I wanted to.

It's a huge washer but can't handle large loads, it just gets a UE code (unbalanced error) and drains. I'm going to have LG come out and see what the problem is. It happens almost every time I wash sheets, very frustrating! This is if I wash one set, two sets, a set mixed with towels, etc.

Originally Posted by cizzors View Post
If you like to soak things, I'm told you can't with a front loader?
Old 07-31-2013, 04:14 PM

I swear my clothes come out cleaner. I wore out my first HE washer and bought another. The seal around the door are now made of a different material to repel the mildew that collects when shutting the door all the way.

I wouldn't have any other kind....Did I say I love my HE washer?

The best kept secret is to buy the dry chlorine bleach from Leslie's Pool Supply and use 1/2 TBSP when doing whites. (Mix it with your powder detergent - no more ruining clothes with liquid bleach). The added benefit is it cleans the tub. No more mildew problem. This product is meant for pools so it's very powerful - don't use too much - just a little bit.

Forgot to mention, always use the prewash option, placing half the detergent in that cup. Its like washing your clothes twice, but is very kind to them.

Last edited by Girlfriend; 07-31-2013 at 04:27 PM.