Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Inspector Morse\Inspector Lewis\Endeavour >

Inspector Morse\Inspector Lewis\Endeavour

Inspector Morse\Inspector Lewis\Endeavour

Old 08-04-2013, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by llong0233 View Post
Been watching Inspector Morse from the beginning. Have also read the books and they do a really good job with the series being true to the books. I cried reading the last book when Morse died. I also liked the "Prime Suspect" series with Helen Mirren as the Detective Inspector. It's more contemporary and gritty, but she's great in them.
Morse dies?!?!?!?!?!
Old 08-04-2013, 03:00 PM
Power Poster

If you have wireless then get a Roku to stream Netflix on your tv. Roku is a one time buy and you pay $8 a month for Netflix but most of the channels are free. It's sold at Walmart and I suppose any other electronic store and online. You can watch all the British shows anytime you want. Foley's War, Monarch of the Glen, all the Masterpiece series, and great British dramas and comedies. I love Rosemary and Tyme. Two women who solve mysteries while doing gardening, Doc Martin, All Creatures Great and Small, Dr. Who, MI5, DCI Banks, enough to keep you entertained for a very long time.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:29 PM
Power Poster

well, like all of us Morse got old! yes he dies. end of show. I love all the shows BellaBoo mentions above!!
Old 08-05-2013, 04:31 AM

I never liked Inspector Morse that much, but Brother Cadfael is awesome!
Old 08-05-2013, 06:54 AM

Yes, I've been watching them too. But I have to watch them when I'm not sewing and the house is quiet because I miss a lot of the dialog because of the accent or phrases were not use to. But I do enjoy them.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

Wait till you catch an Italian detective show. well it's Germans playing Italian detectives in Venice. What a hoot. I'm getting used to it now. Bernetti is the name. sub-titled thank goodness.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:41 AM

No mention of Rosemary and Thyme, another British whodunit with a botanist who does custom gardening and her sidekick. Only one season or two of them available on HuluPlus and a few other sites, but great fun. I too watch all the British/European mystery shows. There is also Wallender which is Swedish.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:07 AM

I'm a Netflix Junkie ! ! ! ! ! I refuse to have cable in the sewing room because (1) I usually have the TV on for "noise/company" & I'm more intent on my project & really wouldn't pay too much attention to the show, & (3) most importantly, the new movies have absolutely no appeal to me; I'm sick & tired of seeing/hearing sex, profanity, so-called "housewives" that aren't real & useless, & most of the shows have no plot or substance & make your mind go limp ! ! ! ! !

I subscibe to the physical "Disc"(s). My queue is full of "serials" & period dramas. These are a few of my favorites.

(1) John Thaw's Inspector Morse from the Episode one. I'm at #31, which is 3 episodes from the end;
(2) The original DARK SHADOWS (1966-1971: 1245 episodes) I'm at #574. Barnabus Collins made the series popular, but did you know that there were other storylines leading up to Barnabus?
(3) Midsommer Murders is the HIT ! ! ! ! ! (I'm on #56 of that series).
(4) Call The Midwife (season's one & half of season 2). Not just about birthin' babies! ! ! ! There's stuff going on in the Nunnery, in secular life, lost loves, new loves, & a general respect of how life was back in the day. Very good ! ! !
(5) Cadfael (watched all of those). Sir Derek Jacobi is a 12-century monk/sleuth solving crimes. No DNA/hi-technology here.
(6) Agatha Christie's most famous crime fighter - Hercule Poirot (watched all of those - too bad I didn't count the episodes)
(7) Prime Suspect: a female DCI that's not overbearingly "I am female, hear my roar", but gets the job done & at the same time shows her girl power without overtly smacking the male establishment in the face.
(8) The numerous Jane Austen novels brought to life: Sense & Sensibility, Emma, Mansfield Park, Pride & Prejudice, Persuasion, & Northhanger Abbey to name a few.
(9) Soap Opera/seriels (a) Upstairs/Downstairs - the original 1971 version). The 2010 version is okay as far as an update continuation is concerned.
(10) The Forsythe Saga (1967 original version) is just as juicy as the original 1971 series of Upstairs/downstairs series. I didn't waste my time with the 2002 version
(11) Inspector Lewis is very good. I watched the entire series of Inspector Morse (John Thaw), to included "The Remorseful Day" (this is the finale episode), then watch Masterpiece Mystery ! Inspector Lewis circa 2006 to understand how the link is formed from DCI Morse to DCI Lewis. These Lewis episodes are also very good w'his sidekick Hathaway.
(12) Foyles' War is very good as well. During the war & all kinds of military, civilian, & family entaglements are involved.

BUT MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE DOWNTON ABBEY ! ! ! ! Don't get me started! ! ! ! ! For a series done in this day & age & to be CLEAN, CRISP, HISTORICAL, WITTY, & SERIOUS at the same time is CLASSIC ! ! ! ! ! But while you look at the credits: directors, producers, & consultants, you'll understand why DA ran off with most of the awards. Those of us who are fanatical about DA are salivating for the next season installments.

Now, this is great TV ! ! ! ! !. . . . . Regards, GP

Old 08-05-2013, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

Angela Lansbury just did the Revisit to Downton Abbey last night and that made me think again-they should have had her play the American grandmother, not Shirley McLaine. I know, Lansbury is British but she plays an American very well and has some grandeur about her too which McLaine misses. But then, I didn't write the part for the American. Wish I had.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:06 PM

Great list Groovey Pieces! I agree with the ones that I know about.........will have to search out the others.