Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Beginner questions >

Beginner questions

Beginner questions

Old 08-23-2013, 11:27 AM

Don't let fear that you don't have the perfect setup hold you back. All you need to piece a quilt is a sewing machine that works. Sounds like you have a nice one. Get you a cutting board and a few rulers of different sizes, find you a pattern that you like and go shopping for fabric! Fear will keep you immobile if you let it. You don't need a perfect set up to succeed and make beautiful quilts. Hope you will show us your first quilt. And welcome from Florida! Gina
Old 08-23-2013, 11:33 AM

First of all I am sure those old quilts still around today that were hand quilted and they are not falling apart. You can do quilting on a regular machine I have done many. If you want to make a quilt go for it you will enjoy it. You do not need to have your sewing machine in the perfect place you just need to have some way to support your quilt I would start out small like a baby quilt size or lap quilt.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:34 PM

Oh my goodness! Thank you, thank you, thank you for the tremendous response! I just finished work and came in to see if anyone replied to my post yesterday, and found 5 pages of replies! What a lovely surprise.

I wish I could reply to everyone individually!

I really appreciate the support, and feel SO much better about starting a quilt now. Glad that my machine & table are going to be OK. The tips about using a TV tray, ironing board or chair for support are going to come in very handy. And I'll go to the library and look for all the books recommended here -and whatever else they've got! And I'll be sure to check into the web resources everyone pointed out, too.

I'm fortunate in that even though this is a fairly small city, there about half a dozen local quilt shops in the area, one of which is just over a mile away. I haven't looked into classes but I will see what's available. I think I saw an announcement for an upcoming quilt show, somewhere nearby. Not sure about a guild but there probably is.

I admit, I've always been a planner - honestly, probably an over-planner when it comes to new things like this. So I've gotta let go of that and just dive in I think and play with it. Thanks to everyone who suggested I do t that way.

I'm just so inspired by all your comments, and stories. So glad to have discovered Quilting Board! I'm sure I'll be hanging out here a lot soaking up all your good knowledge from here on out.

Thank you again, a million times for all the encouragement!
cheers -
Denise
Old 08-24-2013, 03:15 AM

...and don't forget Eleanor Burns...her books/insructions are very easy to follow and will give you much confidence
Old 08-24-2013, 04:55 AM

Oh, I didn't notice you were in WA state. It is the most wonderful place to be as a quilter!!!!!! Used to live there and there are experts there giving classes/workshops that you will so benefit from. I do like Eleanor Burns method...it is my "go to" when I want to quilt without a lot of fuss. Her patterns are always checked for mistakes, so that's good for a newbie. I started with her log cabin in the 80's and never looked back. Wishing you success. Enjoy the richness of the quilt stores in the area. If you get down Seattle way, there are great shops there, too. :-)
Old 08-24-2013, 05:40 AM
Ty

So glad that you have been encouraged by the replys from other quilters. Have faith in yourself and just go for it. Don't expect perfection as only God can do that. You will be so proud of your first quilt, no matter what it looks like. Enjoy!!
Old 08-24-2013, 05:47 AM

Denise,
I have taught many beginner quilting classes, and I can tell you that none of the things you have been
told or read about what you need to begin making a quilt are necessary. If you have a table you can
cut out your quilt, and if you have a place to put a sewing machine, you can sew your quilt. Then, you
have the option to either hand quilt your finished top or send it to a long arm quilter. I would suggest
that you invest in a rotary cutter, mat and ruler, because it really makes life easier when you are cutting
out your strips. Also, if you have a quilt shop nearby that teaches beginner classes, you might want
to consider that to get the basics down. If not, I'll bet there is someone on this board that lives near
you that would help you learn. If you lived near me I would be happy to help. As far as not being
an expert seamstress, if you can sew a straight line, you will be fine. I would invest in a quarter-inch
foot for your machine. That will help you make a good quarter-inch seam. Other than that, go for
it - you will do great.
Have a Blessed Day!
Marcia
Old 08-24-2013, 05:53 AM

Hello and Good Morning,

I'm also new to quilting. So far this is what I have learned...

1. Quilt where you can.

2. Quilt what your comfortable with... ( you don't need "special space unless you want to create it). I use the kitchen table and the livingroom on my lap for paper piecing.

3. Hand piecing is fun and your stitches get better with time and " will not fall apart if you manage your 1/4 inch seams" and my grandmother's and great grandmothers quilts were hand quilted and are going strong. I think it's all about seeming.

4. I use my little janome for everything so far, boo boos and all. I'm going to be quilting a queen size quilt on the baby but, it's free motion and I'm not going to be holding my breath doing it. I plan on drinking tea and taking deep breaths and letting my cats help.

5. If you can sew a seam and measure - your good to go... lol

In my opinion... just relax.. ( I'm having to get my head around thread and needles) lol... I gave up on perfect seams and cutting. I figure - I can be creative and call it " unique" ... lol

Have fun. And go for it.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:22 AM

Denise: Welcome to the Board from Oregon. So glad you have been encouraged by the response, more than anything don't let the naysayers discourage you. Please keep us informed as you embark on your quilting journey.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:41 AM

Welcome, when you have your coffee every day with this board and spend your afternoons watching every video on quilting ( all free ) you will be a quilter in no time. I know how to cut, make seams, pin points what batting to use.All the free patterns you would use in a lifetime. How to find and re purpose any item for use in sewing and storage. All thanks to everyone here. Go for it.