Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Newbie/beginner.Random questions thread >

Newbie/beginner.Random questions thread

Newbie/beginner.Random questions thread

Old 10-19-2010, 11:15 PM

Hi, I would love to get this thread going for the newbies... I find that I usually have a few questions and hate starting several new topics lol.
I have purchased around 10 books so far, watched numerous tutorials and practiced, practiced..
I am learning fast.. However, their is some info I just can't seem to find. 1) I watched a Tammie Bowser tutorial (under "pixels are magic) on QuiltersTV..She used a product called "fusible Tricot interfacing/lightwight/grided" I have searched for it and the only one I have found was heavy weight and from what I could tell, not grided..Anyone know where I can purchase this?
2)Bias Tape..Are there other uses for it besides binding?.. I did see a youtube vid where she used it to make sort of a celtic design. If so, I'm assuming you quilt over the design?

Any help very much appreciated.. And you other newbies don't leave me hanging.. Ask away lol
Old 10-19-2010, 11:17 PM

check out celtic knot work--the bias is sewn down to make the design
Old 10-19-2010, 11:20 PM

I got the gridded fusible at Joann Fabric by the interfacing.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:34 PM
Power Poster

Bias is also often used to create stems for appliqued flowers. Bias strips can be stretched to go around curves. The edges can be hand or machine sewn to the background fabric. Hand quilters often used to quilt right over appliques. Nowadays it's more common to quilt around appliques.

The gridded fusible is used for a very specific type of wallhanging construction. It makes the fabric too stiff for bed quilt use. It's not a technique I would recommend to a beginner. Better (IMO, anyway) to learn basic techniques first.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:01 AM

Thanks for the responses (smile)

That answers a few questions about that bias tape...I really wanted to make sure you could quilt/applique over it after fusing it on...The posibilites are endless (eyes glazing over) lol

I do already have "regular" gridded fusible interfacing that I have been practicing my watercolor quilting on.. I do realize it is meant for wallhangings (which is what I am interested in learning) as opposed to full quilting.
The difference in the reg fusible grid and the Tricot lightweight that I'd seen is that you don't have to cut/snip the little seam allowances between grid lines= saving a step.
I know, clear as mud, right? lol..But, I figure if anyone on here has worked with it. They'll recognize what I'm talking about..

Thanks quilters
Old 10-20-2010, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by ArtisticDesign
That answers a few questions about that bias tape...I really wanted to make sure you could quilt/applique over it after fusing it on...

Reference gridded interfacing .. I do realize it is meant for wallhangings (which is what I am interested in learning) as opposed to full quilting. ...
if you want to stitch on fused bias tape, make sure you use the fusing that can be stitched on...and, reference gridded interfacing, check out Dina Pappas's patterns for watercolors...she does some full sized quilts on hers. I'm sure there are others.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:51 AM

if you want to stitch on fused bias tape, make sure you use the fusing that can be stitched on....[/quote]

Oh, Dats an important fact lol..Thank you

I do have one of Dina Pappas books, love it
Old 10-20-2010, 05:16 AM

Can I add to the newbie question thread? :)

I need a walking foot, desperately. Instead of bringing my whole machine to the LQS (like she suggested...), would it work to just remove the ankle and bring that?? I only ask because I'm always with my baby...lugging around the machine isn't the best option when I'm carrying the baby too. Thoughts?
Old 10-20-2010, 05:23 AM

I would get a Singer Featherweight to take to class. They are light, only 11lbs. and small. Great little machines. :thumbup:
Old 10-20-2010, 05:31 AM

I'd just call and ask them if that would be ok... I took just my machine model # and ended up hating the walking foot I got( can barely get the quilt sandwich under it)...I ended up taking in my machine anyway and was told it worked fine...So it must just be my cheap machine (enter the feather wieght reccomendation for future use lol)