bingo, got one! a 421g <3

Old 08-28-2013, 05:10 PM

Very nice.

And Joe, praying for good health and good news.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:30 AM

You didn't buy this from an estate sale company in Fort Worth Texas, by any chance?

Because I saw a machine like this on Sunday at an estate sale at my cousin's house in Ft Worth, and it was also missing its throat plate! That machine was priced at, I think, $50 but everything was half off on Sunday, the last day of the sale. I almost bought it only because it belonged to my cousin Carole, who was like my sister, but I have 4 machines already and no place to put another, even a portable. Carole made one beautiful quilt on this machine and pieced at least one more before she became ill, a top which the kids are holding for me, along with some of her fabric.

Joe: are these Singers rare and hard to find? I had no idea what it was, really. My cousin Carole was "into" quiltmaking long before I was and while I knew she had a machine, of course, we never really talked about what kind. We just knew we both had Singers. If this one pictured is not Carole's machine, then I think I'll talk to the kids and see if hers is still available and get it. She also had an old black Singer (labeled as a 1925) which I belatedly (not sure why I was so stupid but I was emotionally overwhelmed while being at that sale) have realized may have been my aunt's (Carole's mother) machine. The older Singer was priced at $125.

Last edited by Friday1961; 08-29-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
Awesome!! Good job! Because I'm nosy... what's the part number on the bobbin case? I'm guessing 172082?
thank you! yes, that is the part number, any particular reason?
Old 08-29-2013, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by mme3924 View Post
You didn't buy this from an estate sale company in Fort Worth Texas, by any chance?

Because I saw a machine like this on Sunday at an estate sale at my cousin's house in Ft Worth, and it was also missing its throat plate! That machine was priced at, I think, $50 but everything was half off on Sunday, the last day of the sale. I almost bought it only because it belonged to my cousin Carole, who was like my sister, but I have 4 machines already and no place to put another, even a portable. Carole made one beautiful quilt on this machine and pieced at least one more before she became ill, a top which the kids are holding for me, along with some of her fabric.
no I bought it in Sweden, I hope you get your cousin's one, it's supposed to be a great machine and the emotional value for you would be high as well
Old 08-29-2013, 08:01 AM

I won the second machine, the 677g. I found a manual on line and guess what, it chainstitches too. I may keep this one set up to chainstitch Here's hoping it gets though transport unscathed
Old 08-29-2013, 08:27 AM

<snip>
Joe: are these Singers rare and hard to find? I had no idea what it was, really. My cousin Carole was "into" quiltmaking long before I was and while I knew she had a machine, of course, we never really talked about what kind. We just knew we both had Singers. If this one pictured is not Carole's machine, then I think I'll talk to the kids and see if hers is still available and get it. She also had an old black Singer (labeled as a 1925) which I belatedly (not sure why I was so stupid but I was emotionally overwhelmed while being at that sale) have realized may have been my aunt's (Carole's mother) machine. The older Singer was priced at $125.
Well, I don't know how rare it is, but this is only the second one I've seen pics of. I've never seen on in person. If I do I'll try my best to grab it.

Joe
Old 08-29-2013, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by diajo View Post
no I bought it in Sweden, I hope you get your cousin's one, it's supposed to be a great machine and the emotional value for you would be high as well
Thank you! I appreciate your sweet comment. I'm also glad you got your machine; I've been reading about them and realize what I passed up because of space limitations. I'm not surprised my cousin had this machine; she probably looked into it before she bought. Her husband is an engineer and she would have been all about German design, engineering and manufacture.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:41 AM

thank you! yes, that is the part number, any particular reason?
The reason I was asking is the chainstitch models (German only as best I know at this point) have a different bobbin case 503602. The 421 doesn't chain, it's the only difference (again that I know of) between the 431 and the 421. With the right plate, a guide that I think could be fabricated, and the other bobbin case, I think you could turn the 421 into the 431...

I won the second machine, the 677g. I found a manual on line and guess what, it chainstitches too. I may keep this one set up to chainstitch Here's hoping it gets though transport unscathed
Yeah!! Good luck! How long til it arrives?

Joe: are these Singers rare and hard to find?
They're hard to find in North America. Someone on QB said that there were problems bringing the Open arm machines into The US for some sort of reason - patents or something, so the US got very very few if any when theese would have been new. Canada would have gotten "more". I know an OSMG and his wife sews on a 421G. I have a 431G (had 2), and have had up to 3 411Gs (down to 1), all of which I've come across in the last year. I get the impression that it would be harder to come across that many in one area of the states in that time frame though. But, these are 50+ year old machines. Some of them are ...uh... about to start out lasting their original owners, and so few people really sew anymore compared to 50 years ago, they're going to start being seen.

Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 08-29-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:14 AM

Yeah!! Good luck! How long til it arrives?
around a week, perhaps sooner

They're hard to find in North America. Someone on QB said that there were problems bringing the Open arm machines into The US for some sort of reason - patents or something, so the US got very very few if any when theese would have been new. Canada would have gotten "more". I know an OSMG and his wife sews on a 421G. I have a 431G (had 2), and have had up to 3 411Gs (down to 1), all of which I've come across in the last year. I get the impression that it would be harder to come across that many in one area of the states in that time frame though. But, these are 50+ year old machines. Some of them are ...uh... about to start out lasting their original owners, and so few people really sew anymore compared to 50 years ago, they're going to start being seen.

interesting, i thought we had more free arms here as the Husqvarna were very early with a free arm and to sell the others needed one too...
Old 08-29-2013, 09:15 AM

Thank you! I appreciate your sweet comment. I'm also glad you got your machine; I've been reading about them and realize what I passed up because of space limitations. I'm not surprised my cousin had this machine; she probably looked into it before she bought. Her husband is an engineer and she would have been all about German design, engineering and manufacture.
do try tp get it, or the other Singer, for the memories...