Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
PC Quilter >

PC Quilter

PC Quilter

Old 08-28-2013, 07:13 PM

My concern is that the software is so old and outdated it's possible it wouldn't run on your computer.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:45 AM

Peckish you are correct. The good news is that hubby is a systems engineer and never throws anything out, he has restored a IBM thinkpad with parallel ports so I should have no problem with the computer end. It would be designated for the pc quilter alone. I have done a lot of reading and I know that some people have mentioned " pucks" I am not sure that is something that I would have to invest in. Hmm. The software program that it is running on is WinXp and I can acomodate this. I am looking to see about software upgrades and asking the company if they still have the Xp version upgrades.

Your concern is legitimate and I am looking into all specifics as I should pic up the beast on Monday. I appreciate your heads up as you are on the ball

The next question I have when I get this thing up and running on my machine is..................Where does one get patterns or should I ask if all electronic pantograph patterns compatible with the PC quilter?
Thanks so much!. I appreciate everyone's time!
Jane
Old 08-29-2013, 08:30 AM

I have several friends who have used PC Quilter, but they seem to have moved away from it and are using other programs now. I have *some* knowledge, but am not confident enough in my limited knowledge to pass it on to you with certainty that my information is correct.

However, there IS a PCQuilter group on Yahoo that may be able to help you with your questions.

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/PCQ/info
Old 08-29-2013, 12:57 PM

Wonderful and thanks so much, OK now I have to admit that the lady just dropped the price to $100 so how can I refuse, I am now teasing my hubby that we can have a double decker one with my FMQ 18: long arm and the other with the PC quilter and the mid arm. I guess I better learn to work it first.

I just joint the group you suggested, Thank you very much for your help
Old 08-29-2013, 04:19 PM

The PC Quilter itself is upgradeable. I have had to do that to mine. It has not cost me extra to do that. I do know you have to do somethings to transfer ownership from one person to another. I would check if it uses a serial port or UBS. I had to change mine to a UBS because of issues with the serial port. Support now costs $75 for 6 months. It is only available 3 days a week I think. Melonie is very knowledgeable and easy to work with. You do need some computer savy. I am using a old computer because I am to lazy to update it (some have had issues when going to a newer operating system). There is a learning curve. I am not an expert by any measure but I am glad I have it.
Carol
Old 08-30-2013, 04:38 PM

Thank you ladies.

This is what I have done so far, read every piece of information I can get on the PC quilter the online manuals you tube videos. I have found Melanie from PC quilter who has given me direction on how to change ownership and have privileges for the system updates available. I have joined and waiting for approval to the PC Quilter Yahoo Group.

I looked around the house and one out of 7 computer has a parallel port - which I am sure the PC quilter ( being a 2005) will require. I have asked DH to wipe the old computer clean so that it will only run the PC quilter software. Once I get the system downloaded I can later look at the option of using a cable to convert the serial cable to the usb port on one of my other laptops. DH is a computer engineer who NEVER throws anything out so we should be in good order. I am actually picking up the PC quilter early next week and hope that I can at least get the carriage to run day one, and familiarize myself with the start up -pause and run. Once we know the carriage is working properly I will then get the longarm on and hopefully get that organized so that I have the right speed of the carriage and the appropriate speed of the longarm so that there will be even stitches. Once those basics are sorted I should be off to the races.

Thanks so much for all your help and suggestions it is so much appreciated
Jane
Old 08-30-2013, 06:12 PM

A puck is very helpful with a pc quilter. It allows you to stop quilting from the front of your sewing machine. The standard pcquilter has the stop button on the rear of the pcquilter. It is very hard to reach from the front of the machine when a quilting emergency happens. It also lets you raise the needle up/dowh and increase/decrease the speed your sewing machine is sewing at from the front of the sewing machine.
At this point, I would not quilt without the puck. You can get a puck from Mikesmachineshop.com. They are custom made for your sewing machine.

Most quilting designer web sites have patterns that are compatible with the .txt files patterns pcquilter uses. You can also make your own patterns and convert it to a .txt file as part of the pcquilter software.

Yes, pcquilter does maintain/update software as part of a package of customer support they sell. I never updated mine - have had it 3 years and haven't had a problem that wasn't caused by operator error.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:20 PM

Pcquilter different models are made for different weight machines. I assume that your bailey is matched to the weight of your pcquilter model.

go to the yahoo group for pc quilter and do a search on the bailey machine. I don't have a bailey, but have read posts from others who do. There could be helpful advice there for you.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:28 PM

Thank you I did note that the pc quilter says it is compatible with my machine on the online site. I have asked to be a member of the PCQ yahoo site, they have not responded to my request but I am sure they will soon. I have heard of the puck and had a bit of an idea about it but not to the extent of your explanation. I have a variety of machines I can use on the PCQ my hope would be my 17" Bailey.If not I will not cry especially since the PCQ is only going to cost me $100 and I can use it on my midarm. It would just mean that I would have two stations one with the PC quilter and mid arm another with the FMQ. Now my hubby thinks I am challenged. I thought why not have a double decker station , I could have the automated PC quilter on a lower level and the other FMQ on the second level. Something like a bunk bed situation . The hubby is laughing himself silly .. at least I am entertaining! Thank you all for your comments and directions, I can hardly wait to delve in!
Old 09-09-2013, 11:18 AM

I just wanted to give you some feed back , I purchased this 2004 PCQ from a lady about 50miles from me. I brought it home loaded it up, Now it does support my weight and I have a 17" throat on my longarm. The PCQ accomodates patterns up to 10" in length of the pattern X the width of the frame. I have learned to clip, flip, crop , and mirror images. I also found that I can digitalize patterns.. The only glitch is that it doesn't like the foot pedal, it seems to be finicky for the old motor, once it gets going it is full steam ahead. I have learned how to bypass that problem and onto the races. Thank for you all your help, I have managed to learn all that I can for the time being and very pleased. I have registered the machine in my name, got the newest of software and prepared for a fun filled time. I might have to give into housework once in awhile.

Thanks for all your support