Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Storm at Sea >

Storm at Sea

Storm at Sea

Old 09-05-2013, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
You really don't want these blocks to be too big, you'd lose the impact of the overall design, even if the bed *is* king sized!
My thought exactly!
Old 09-05-2013, 06:15 PM

You can download free graph paper or otherwise marked paper from: http://www.printablepaper.net

[They even have circular gridded paper available. A really neat source for paper.]

You can draw on the graph paper and copy onto something like 25% rag vellum or whatever you can find and then do paper piecing. If need be you can take to a business copy store and get it copied on their larger copiers. Though I agree with Jan in VA.

If you have a friend with an EQ program they may do a mock up of the SAS for you and you might see that the design does get lost in larger sizes.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:08 PM

Don't rule out paper piecing for this project if you are set on a large block. Also you could try the trimplates by Wendy Mathson. It makes (I think) a 9" block, but they go together pretty quickly, and VERY accurately. I would not hesitate to make a king size SAS using the trimplates. I'm looking forward to seeing your quilt; SAS Is my favorite pattern.

Mine is posted here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/persona...s-t209159.html

Darren
Old 09-05-2013, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
If you look at the Storm at Sea block, from quilter's cache. http://www.quilterscache.com/S/StormAtSeaBlock.html Now draw imaginary lines thru the center horizontally and vertically, it's basically a 4X4 grid. 18 is going to be a tricky size as you want a multiple of 4. So you could go with a 16" or a 20". As far as the angles go, the pattern I have actually has a seam thru the long diamonds (the imaginary line in the QC version) this divides this rectangular block into 2 "squared triangle" blocks: basically a square with a triangle in it. For this patch, you need to either paper piece it or get a TriRecs ruler set. Note that the triangle is NOT equilateral. If you do the trig, it comes out to a weird angle. The ruler set is your best bet, it's available at JoAnn's.
The block that has only one set of wave blocks is based on 3x3. I don't care for the 4x4. So much of the wave action is lost.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
If you look at the Storm at Sea block, from quilter's cache. http://www.quilterscache.com/S/StormAtSeaBlock.html Now draw imaginary lines thru the center horizontally and vertically, it's basically a 4X4 grid. 18 is going to be a tricky size as you want a multiple of 4. So you could go with a 16" or a 20". As far as the angles go, the pattern I have actually has a seam thru the long diamonds (the imaginary line in the QC version) this divides this rectangular block into 2 "squared triangle" blocks: basically a square with a triangle in it. For this patch, you need to either paper piece it or get a TriRecs ruler set. Note that the triangle is NOT equilateral. If you do the trig, it comes out to a weird angle. The ruler set is your best bet, it's available at JoAnn's.
A good piece of graph paper is all you need to make this block. Sketch it out, cut it out and then afix to something like template material and cut leaving seam allowances. No specialized money-grabber stuff needed.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
Your printer probably has an enlarge feature. Would that work?
Maybe. Printers and copiers aren't as perfect at enlarging as I'd like though....that's Plan F (or so) if nothing else comes along. Thanks!
Old 09-06-2013, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
quilter's cache has a free 'storm at sea' block which is a 12" block- it does have measurements- use a ruler/cutter- if you visit 'quilter's cache' go to 'blocks galore' then click on the 'S' section (they are alphabetical) scroll down to storm at sea- hope that helps.
Not familiar with quilters cache....thank you so much!!!!!!
Old 09-06-2013, 02:16 AM

Thank you all so much for your responses! Unfortunately I am a worse paper piecer than I am a triangle sewer so that technique is out....but I'm going to try quilter's cache, and some graph paper, and a couple more math teachers to doublecheck my calculations and go from there. I'll find a workable solution in there somewhere! BTW----I have looked at doing a 20"-24" block set 4 x 4 and the design is still very much there, depending on the strong contrast of the fabrics used. That's my goal.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:47 AM

I've just completed a Storm at Sea (Not seasick anymore!) thread. The pattern I had was for a 15" block but I wanted a 12" block so got out the graph paper and drew it up. I also did mine using the foundation piecing method as I thought with all those bits and pieces floating around there was a huge risk of more chaos than I ended up with. Don't forget that the middle square in a square is the actual block and what is around it is the sashing. Hope this helps.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:19 AM

Before you start, you might want to invest in a CD called Triangulations. This CD has every size possible for making HST and QST. You print out whatever size you want and sew on the paper and cut on the lines. You will have perfect HST every time. It will be worth the investment which is ~$30. Good luck.