Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can this be salvaged? >

Can this be salvaged?

Can this be salvaged?

Old 09-08-2013, 12:51 PM

I would do the applique of some boy type things, or cut out circles of various boy things from other fabrics and applique on top (fussy cut fabric of sports things, etc.)...

I experienced this when I washed a quilt top before finishing. The fraying is mostly caused by all the abrasion in the washing machine...after all, that is what the machine does--agitates and makes the seams rub together, which encourages fraying. I learned my lesson--don't wash an unfinished quilt top unless you just soak it in a tub by hand...
Old 09-08-2013, 12:57 PM

Honestly, it may have held up if you had attached the backing and quilted it. The exposed fraying just got worse from the agitation of the washer......in hindsight. I would do appliqués as well as suggested. Good luck! Can't wait to see what you decide
Old 09-08-2013, 04:06 PM

Well you learned about washing before quilting the hard way! It can be done, but you have to fold it, pin it and put it in a mesh bag and then set your washer to agitate on gentle, then leave it pinned and folded when you put it in the dryer. That's actually more work than it's worth. I know because I did it once!

It sounds like you haven't actually put the batting or backing on it yet. If that's true, Why not use some scraps (if you have them), sew pieces of them (large enough to generously span the fray together), put fusible liner under the new pieces and applique them on over the frayed edges?
Old 09-08-2013, 04:29 PM

I would put the fusible behind the ripped seam as suggested. You could also do some fancy sewing on top after fusing if you didn't want to do applique.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:55 PM

There is a great product called Fray Check. You may need to loosen some of the seam where it is pulling out. You can then bend the fabric back under and put the fray check on it. It's kind of like finger nail polish, but it is suppose to last up to 20 washings (I think). Let it dry, then do a decorative stitch across it. I had to do this for a quilt I made for my daughter who likes to wash it a lot. So far, so good with that one. Hope this helps.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:53 PM
Power Poster

So sorry! As others have told you, it's best not to wash a top before it's quilted and bound. But this top CAN be salvaged. All the methods suggested will work, but the applique might be the easiest, and it could be really cute.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:00 PM
Power Poster

It may be salvageable - but if most of the seams have frayed out that badly, I think I would just toss it and write it off as a learning experience.

Or else cut the pieces down and salvage what I could and resew them into something different and smaller.

One can wash cut strips - but I do it by soaking them in a basin of hot water - swishing them a bit with just a tiny dab of detergent - draining them - swishing them again in rinse water - if I have access to a washer, then I put them on 'spin' to get rid of the excess water - and then HANG the pieces to dry. The point is to avoid agitating the pieces.
And yes, there may be some distortion/shrinkage of the strips.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:09 PM

I wash my fabric first to check on bleed. And then cut and sew starch if required. Then sew.

Your problem as a boy find loads of insects and applique them onto the quilt. If the picture is not large enough then enlarge on a photo copier or by hand. It is the easiest and quickest way. And any boy will love insects or even dinosaurs if that's ice required.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:19 AM

Some Fray Check will stop the fraying. Perhaps a fusible patch over the frayed area? Good luck.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:42 AM

Even though you have put a lot of time and probably $$$ for the fabric into it I don't think you will ever be happy with any patch job. Anything you do will will probably take more time that could be spent on a new one. I think I would set it aside and maybe pull it out later and use the good parts for some small project-a table runner,placemats etc. This fabric looks like it frayed way, way too much. If you got it at a good shop I would tkae it in and show it to them and maybe they will offer you something else or a discount on you next purchase. Good luck!