Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
For all you hand sewers out there... >

For all you hand sewers out there...

For all you hand sewers out there...

Old 09-11-2013, 09:02 AM

I have acid free project boxes I use for each project - I have all the supplies I need, along with fabrics, books and specialty tools. They can be purchased at Joann's or Hobby Lobby.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:11 AM

I use a basket, one for applique supplies and a different one for my hand quilting supplies, they both have lids. Oh and I have one for my embroidery supplies also.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:30 AM

I have several Sears tool totes that I use for various things. They're cheap, tough and they even come in red and pink!
I have this one to use while detailing my car. Tool Tote And there are a lot of them here. I love shopping Sears for my sewing room storage stuff. They have tons of good divided boxes. I even have my husband trained not to toss any of his tool stuff without asking me if I want it first!
Old 09-11-2013, 11:21 AM

I actually have 2 boxes. The small metal one is for moving around the house, and has the supplies I need for sewing on binding or hand applique - scissors, needles, Thread Heaven, thimble, a couple of binding clips, and different colors of Bottom Line on bobbins. These items live in this box permanently. I think I got the box at Walgreens for a dollar.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]435356[/ATTACH]

When I want to take a project with me that goes out of the house, I stick the little box inside this plastic box, which was originally sold on the school supply aisle as a pencil case. I paid 50 cents for it. The little box fits perfectly, and I can fit my cheater glasses, glue, and several hand applique blocks in it perfectly.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]435359[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]435360[/ATTACH]

For the times when I have larger blocks I'm working on, I use a 12" x 12" x 1" scrapbooking tote that I bought on clearance.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	little box.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	435356   Click image for larger version

Name:	big box.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	435359   Click image for larger version

Name:	box in a box.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	435360  
Old 09-11-2013, 11:33 AM
Banned

I keep one set of tools upstairs in my sewing room and one set downstairs by the TV. I just got tired of getting all settled in in front of the TV and having to go back upstairs because I forgot something.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:06 PM

I have recently repurposed some decorative tins that were just sitting there "decorating" to hold some sewing supplies. A wintry-looking tins holds hand quilting supplies next to the easy chair where I quilt; a good-sized red and white ribbon candy tin holds machine supplies near my machine; an Oreo cookie tin holds my serger supplies, etc. Keeps me organized and ready to travel if need be, and it makes me smile to use the cheerful tins. What was I saving them for?
Old 09-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Power Poster

I collect tins- so I always have different sizes, shapes, types of tins to choose from to put together a travel/hand project.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:17 PM

I made myself a housewife. I don't have a picture of mine but here are some examples.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...+kit&FORM=IGRE

If I need to add fabric for applique I use a plastic bag that some pillow cases came it.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:00 PM

I like using some pencil cases for my stuff. The flat ones that has the binder holes in the side. I can see inside it and it has a zippper to keep everything in it. And they are pretty cheap too!!! You can choose a color for each project if you want.

Tricia
Old 09-11-2013, 02:34 PM

I keep small [ 5x7"] plastic colored boxes for each project I am working on. This box is large enough to hold most or all of the pieces for hand stitching as I travel or sit in a waiting room. It also holds a Grabbit, small scissors, spool of thread, and a thimble. I use a different color for each quilt. It is small enough to fit inside a bag and large enough to hold my supplies.