Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
For all you hand sewers out there... >

For all you hand sewers out there...

For all you hand sewers out there...

Old 09-11-2013, 02:40 PM
Power Poster

I have a clear tackle box I purchased along time ago. I also have a smaller tackle box. And I have an old makeup trifold bag with clear pockets that I use to go for the hurry up and wait appts. (dr.s offc and such).
Old 09-11-2013, 05:26 PM

Great ideas! Thanks, I'll be on the lookout for some of the boxes y'all have suggested.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:22 AM

It depends on how much I need to carry. Anything from a hinged plastic soap dish fo a very small project to a vintage sewing box (in home only) or a small plastic tool box. Sometimes it is just the hinged soap dish in a ZipLoc gallon bag to keep my work clean and mobile.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:38 AM

My grandmother used her collection of old tea and cookie tins (generally with the Queen on them as she came from England!) and a wonderful old large brown purse made out of upholstery fabric, for knitting and crochet. I loved to look in them!

I, on the other hand, collect the handy clear-top plastic containers you get when you take home a 'doggie bag' from the restaurant. They work great for leftovers at home, and they are light and handy for the hand-sewing tools, including the felt catnip mouse I use as a pincushion, plus I can put them in the 12"x12" boxes I take to quilting class.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:31 AM

Boston1954. I just started using those and I really like them. I have one for hand quilting, one for hand sewing and some for small projects and some larger ones for larger projects. I recently started using a turntable like you would use in a kitchen cupboard with a rubber lining. I can carry that around easily.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:38 AM

I use baskets galore with my sewing. One holds yo-yo's, another wool applique, another hexie, another Quilt pieces cut and ready to sew. The list goes on and on. I shop re-sale shops and antique shops and buy any basket I can get, they have to look kinda old . In the living room I have crocks that hold my wool applique quilt I am working on. Our home is a log home and very prim so plastic containers are a big no-no here. I can pick up a basket at anytime and out the door for a road project or just to go sit in the swing on the porch. Nothing like sitting on the porch and watch the sun come up with a hot cup of tea and your hand sewing. Love it
Old 09-12-2013, 05:07 AM

Without ever buying any, I have acquired a lot of baskets over the years. The one I use for a sewing supplies carry-all is totally round, sturdy, flat bottomed, has a tall fat handle, and is large enough to accommodate everything I need with no crowding or over-lapping. It's also pretty light weight. I particularly like the fact that I don't have to dig around in there to find what I want (searching for something always annoys me).
Old 09-12-2013, 05:12 AM

I use a plastic cat litter pan . I have large ones and some smaller ones.
Ceany
Old 09-12-2013, 05:50 AM

I have two. A multilayer plastic container that I got at the Container Store--haven't seen them again or I would buy another. To take to work, etc., I use a plastic two-layer bento box (Japanese style) with handles meant to carry lunch. It's rather small, about 6x9x5", but holds enough tools/thread for one project. Got it at Tuesday Morning, but have seen them many places.
SandyQuilter
Old 09-12-2013, 07:18 AM

I guess that would depend on how much needs to go in it. For just the hand-sewing tools, I use a little plastic box that DD was given with nail polish, etc. in several Christmases ago. It looks like a little trunk, about 6" square, 4" high, with a handle on top. It's clear and sparkles (just a little bonus, lol!) and best of all the lid stays open without tipping the box over.

For bigger projects I have several plastic baskets I picked up at the dollar store a couple years ago, each about the size of a dishpan or small kitty litter pan. They hold scissors, thread, other tools, as well as the blocks/top or whatever I'm working on. I carry these down to the family room when I have handwork to do so I can sit with DH and watch the game or whatever with him as I work. I love these because they hold a lot, but they stack neatly together when not in use.